PDA

View Full Version : anyone hunt while its freezing out and haveproblems with thier machine

driley
12-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Does anyone ever do any hunting when the temperature is at freezing or below freezing we have no snow so did some hunting in the front yard found a few Pennies until the machine became cold then started going crazy and was pinging off of everything has and does anyone else have this problem or is itjustme

coinnut
12-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Hey what type of machine are you using? Some machines respond worse to cold temps than others. My first thought would be EMI (electromagnetic interference) from your home. Other sources of interference are radar (military installations close by), microwaves, planes over head, or even low batteries in the machine. Also check all connections to see that some of them are not loose. A bad coil can also cause that problem. Between Del and I, we use Minelab and Whites. Each performs well at around freezing, but they start to get cranky when the closer you go towards zero :lol: A little more info would on your machines would help.

driley
12-26-2013, 07:43 PM
Hey what type of machine are you using? Some machines respond worse to cold temps than others. My first thought would be EMI (electromagnetic interference) from your home. Other sources of interference are radar (military installations close by), microwaves, planes over head, or even low batteries in the machine. Also check all connections to see that some of them are not loose. A bad coil can also cause that problem. Between Del and I, we use Minelab and Whites. Each performs well at around freezing, but they start to get cranky when the closer you go towards zero :lol: A little more info would on your machines would help.

My detector is a Garrett ace 350 it is brand new I mydo have 4 train tracks 100 yards from my house I will have to check the connections though and it was about 28 degrees out side about 10 minutes after I went to the front yard it started going crazy IM thinking most of it was from the cold IM new at this so I have to look into all possibilities thanks for the info I did have my cell phone in my pocket To

del
12-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Hey Driley ,
I moved your post here to the "General Discussion" area .

yes machines can be affected by the cold temps , usually the colder the shorter you may have to wait before you see some effects. Coinnut and I usually detect all winter if the snow is below 3 inches or so and normally 6 to 9 hours at a time . My machine couldn't do it if it wasn't covered in an insulated cover and some of its signs that its to cold are the following .

sluggish vdi number response on the lcd screen
and sometimes it can freeze all together.
erratic behavior such as falsing , not wanting to ground balance.

Dan

giant056
12-27-2013, 01:42 AM
My MXT will be a little sluggish on the readout when it gets 24 degrees or colder, my V3i I haven't noticed the cold affecting it at all but it's not often that I hunt below 28 degrees to begin with. I did however take it out for about an hour once just to see if there was a lag in the display readout at 20 degrees and I didn't notice any.

Vito
12-27-2013, 08:41 AM
My detector is a Garrett ace 350 it is brand new I mydo have 4 train tracks 100 yards from my house I will have to check the connections though and it was about 28 degrees out side about 10 minutes after I went to the front yard it started going crazy IM thinking most of it was from the cold IM new at this so I have to look into all possibilities thanks for the info I did have my cell phone in my pocket To

Having the mobile in the pocket is not that thing. Having it "ON" is. Many (if not most) detector issues are made by mobiles/cell phones. They send out very bad EMI for a detector if they're logging/searching to the cells. Best is to "switch off" them during the hunt.

Good Luck in the cold.

ODA 226
12-27-2013, 04:02 PM
This week, my AT Pro started going crazy and I was thinking WTH? And then I got the call from my wife.....I started keeping my cell phone in my rucksack after that. I keep it far enough away that it doesn't interfere with my machine, but close enough that I can still hear it.