PDA

View Full Version : Saturday hunt with Kray and Heavymetalnut (copper #62)

Thiltzy
12-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Ray(Kray) comes up north from Virginia for the Holidays and he wanted to do some cellar hole hunting with Dave and I. We first met Ray a couple of years ago when Dan invited him on a hunt. Ray is a great guy and is eager to find his 1st state copper, So we took him to a few sites we thought would have a chance of producing some older coins.

The three cellar holes we hit seemed to have already been hit pretty hard unfortunately. Everyone did manage a few keepers even though targets were hard to come buy. Sorry Ray, wish you could have found a state copper:(

I didn't find much. Just a few buttons, half of a shoe buckle with a messy layer of applied silver, thimbles, a 1927 Wheat, and my 62nd copper which is a matron that is in very ruff shape. I found the Matron in an area that was a little swampy so the muck did a good job of eating away most of the detail.

Also found what Dave thinks is a horse pommel:dontknow:

del
12-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Congrats to you "King of Most coppers" , a fine day of detecting . Dave is correct the unusual piece is a saddle pommel.

kray
12-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Congratulations, King of all Coppers! Thanks for having me along with you and Dave. I had a great time, though you guys certainly know how to make a guy feel old! Dawn to dusk is a long time for this old man. I'll be up again for the week before Easter, and hope to do it again. Thanks again to you and Dave, and Happy New Years!

The Rebel
12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
WTG Todd on the copper! Ground is sure to be frozen solid by next weekend.

aloldstuff
12-29-2013, 02:44 PM
King of All Coppers, :congrats:on another. Here's hoping that 2014 is as good if not better for you

Digger Don
12-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Congrats
Nice Copper. Can that be cleaned at all, or is it best to leave it as is.

Thiltzy
12-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Congrats to you "King of Most coppers" , a fine day of detecting . Dave is correct the unusual piece is a saddle pommel. Thanks Dan. Hey, my 10"dd coil died on me yesterday and it's the 3rd time. What the heck are with these coils. When they work, they are my favorites, I thought whites fixed these issues?

Thiltzy
12-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Congrats
Nice Copper. Can that be cleaned at all, or is it best to leave it as is. Thanks Don, the copper coin picture is the after cleaning picture. It was found in a swampy area so after 150-200 yrs the coin gets pretty bad.

Thiltzy
12-29-2013, 08:11 PM
King of All Coppers, :congrats:on another. Here's hoping that 2014 is as good if not better for you Thanks a lot Al, sincerely

Thiltzy
12-29-2013, 08:12 PM
WTG Todd on the copper! Ground is sure to be frozen solid by next weekend. Shhhh! Roger, frozen ground is our worst nemesis

Thiltzy
12-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Congratulations, King of all Coppers! Thanks for having me along with you and Dave. I had a great time, though you guys certainly know how to make a guy feel old! Dawn to dusk is a long time for this old man. I'll be up again for the week before Easter, and hope to do it again. Thanks again to you and Dave, and Happy New Years! Great hunting with you again Ray. You let us know, your welcome anytime.

del
12-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks Dan. Hey, my 10"dd coil died on me yesterday and it's the 3rd time. What the heck are with these coils. When they work, they are my favorites, I thought whites fixed these issues?

they seem like the 6x10 coils they only last about a year and a half to 2 and then crap out . i'm done with whites coils , get a 10x12 sef "butterfly" coil Todd you won't regret it , they are awesome.

Lodge Scent
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Nice! 62 coppers in a year is crown worthy for sure. :congrats: If I recall, besides the boat load of coppers, you had a "few" other pretty nice finds :drool:

Too bad about the 10DD. I had one go bad early in the year on me. I figured I had whacked it on a rock one too many times. New one is fine. Definitely the coil I use the most.

Thiltzy
12-29-2013, 08:27 PM
they seem like the 6x10 coils they only last about a year and a half to 2 and then crap out . i'm done with whites coils , get a 10x12 sef "butterfly" coil Todd you won't regret it , they are awesome.
I may try a NEL coil. My 6x10 is my back so now I am gonna have to bring the 12" coil as a back up if the 6x10 craps out.:hairpulling:

Timewarpdigger
12-29-2013, 08:32 PM
In the picture the copper seems to have some detail, you still can't get a date on it? I wish we had some sites around like you have up there for me to hunt. Few and far between. Congrats!! Safe & HH

OxShoeDrew
12-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Glad you've been able to hunt this far into the winter. I posted an item like your pommel. Dan IDed it and posted a pic of one lower in the thread. Congrats on a nice hunt. http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?12773-Lots-of-huh-Lately

Bell-Two
12-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Nice hunt and congrats on squeaking out another Copper before old man Winter shuts us down...Hail to the Copper King :notworthy: Looking forward to the rest of your videos when you get a chance to catch up. Hoping for a mild winter so we all can get back out...I love to see what you guys post thanks so much for all the wonderful posts and videos of this year! :clapping:

coop
12-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Nice copper count :thumbsup01: