PDA

View Full Version : What are your metal detecting goals for 2014?

Tony Two-Cent
12-31-2013, 09:34 AM
The New Year is almost upon us. Do you have any metal detecting goals for 2014? Do you want to detect more? Is there a specific piece of equipment you'd like to acquire? A certain type of find you'd like to discover? A type a site you'd like to hunt? Do you want to find more silver this year? More coppers? More gold? Please share your goals for 2014.

Digger Don
12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
Well Tony, Yes to all those questions.
I definitely have the passion and i'm working on the experience I would love to come across one of hidden parks that haven't been hit hard and find some old coins. Given enough time, it will happen.
My goal is to simply do better every month in 2014 and by the end of the season find a few more "Firsts"
Besides parks, I'm going to research all winter and hopefully find some killer old school house sites.
Don

tanacat
12-31-2013, 10:34 AM
My goal is to find some new fantastic old sites using overlay- it's fascinating to compare to old county maps & topos... very satisfying to find a site that (probably) I only know about. Although passers-by may think I'm a bit off my rocker hunting wayyyyy up a hill in a huge field, far away from where it looks like all the loot would be now-a-days next to baseball field and concessions in a large city park. Everyone knows all we're looking for and finding are pennies... ;)

I've already found a couple old potential sites in woods next to creek (relaxing and isolated) near my house for convenient "quick-fix" hunts :thumbsup02:

As far as items, I'm hoping for seated silver, coppers and anything 1800's... my new sites are on maps from mid-1800's, so very likely.

Great thread idea Tony! I'm motivated for a successful 2014 :detecting:

ODA 226
12-31-2013, 11:42 AM
My goal is to go over the church hill where I live with a fine toothed comb and recover every coin or relic there that I possibly can.

Full Metal Digger
12-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Seems simple but my goal is to relax and have a good time!

POKIE73
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
my goal is also simple i want to get back into detecting with my 2 freinds that i have went with in the last year i had heart surgery so i missed a littl time last year if you ask me this hobby is only made better by the company you keep and i have a couple of keepers aka amx fred and earl i cant wait to get back in the spring dennis

Longhair
12-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Simply put, "YES' to everything you asked Tony. All of it and more.
One goal that I have is to meet more fellow detectorists over the next year. I mostly hunt alone, and that's fine, but occasionally a little company would be welcome.

aloldstuff
12-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for making me think.....

a State copper
seated silver
Capped bust silver
any old copper with bust facing right

Knowing my physical state my main priority is just to be able to go detecting.

Best of luck to everybody in 2014

BOWSER
12-31-2013, 07:31 PM
i have been doin this for 8 years or more ,i have found a 1750 colonial coin and a 750 ad roman coin ,the question is, what the heck else is there out there that needs to be found:cool:

Ronandari
12-31-2013, 07:54 PM
Simple goals for me. Get out when I can. Meet and enjoy the folks I meet. Continue learning and perfecting get my techniques.

Ron

Timewarpdigger
12-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Now that I have some experience with my detector I hope to be locating better locations to detect. I plan to do a lot more research during the winter so that I have sites ready for the spring. If all goes right I know that some of the items on my bucket list will come my way, and my find totals will be better then this year. Safe & HH

coinnut
01-01-2014, 12:38 AM
My goal is to take advantage of sites I see, instead of just saying "that looks like a good site to detect". I also want to mix it up a little and detect other places besides cellar holes.

Digger Don
01-01-2014, 11:11 AM
I live fairly close to Lake Michigan. This year I want to do some early morning beach hunts.

pulltabsteve
01-01-2014, 11:27 AM
All thing considered, I've been pretty lucky in 2013! For 2014 I would like to maybe do a little more beach/shallow water hunting. I used to do about 10 beach hunts a year, but last year it was basically zero. I love the woods and private old homes and I'm sure Mike and I will be spending the majority of our hunts there, but maybe a few beach hunts added to the schedule.

2 other things I would love to find before I die... A gold coin and a massive old coin cache!

del
01-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Well my goals are to trust my hunches about an area more and to relax a bit more when I'm out on a site .

finding any of the following will meet my goal for 2014

a Mass. state copper
a liberty cap cent
a coin cache or coin purse spill of any kind
a nice military relic of any kind ( belt plate , chest plate or very unique button )
any large Spanish or early American Silver coin

Cheap Thrills
01-01-2014, 08:33 PM
The name says it all , pretty much finding anything would be nice . I feel fortunate just to be able to get out and hunt at my age . It will be nice when the daylight starts lasting longer again .

skribnodsister
01-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Hi Tony, my goal is to be able to get out more.....I got a new coil, I just have to be able to get out there and try it out. One coin I would love to find is a Morgan Dollar. My other goal is to go out and see if I can find a gold pocket watch my friends grandfather lost in a field, I think that would be so cool to be able to find it and I know he would be pretty happy too.

will penny
01-02-2014, 07:53 PM
My goal for this year. I hope my 1967 Ford truck, my dog of 13 years and myself [ 69 ] make it until 1/1/15.

Skamaniac
01-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Seems simple but my goal is to relax and have a good time!

I concur. But since I did that last year as well, my NEW goal is to find a silver coin. However, I would also like to acknowledge that finding a gold ring would be equally acceptable in my view. :grin:

WBL TH
01-02-2014, 11:45 PM
1. Detect more
2. Mercury Dime
3. Indian cent

Stretch Goal: 14k or better ring in the water.

Greg

freemindstuck
01-03-2014, 02:34 AM
I would like to find a cache. And if I can't find a cache I would like to find a rich cougar to support my metal detecting adventures.

leslie(nova scotia)
01-03-2014, 12:31 PM
Canadian 20 cent piece is all that is left that i would like to find. Only made them one year and most taken back tothe mint and melted and retooled into other coins! Hope everyone gets one off the bucket list this year!

milco
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM
As far as coins, I would like to find my first half cent. As far as relics and artifacts, my youngest son is very interested in finding arrowheads and I would like to be able to help him find some points in some fields this next year.

Robbie
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
I would like to find a cache. And if I can't find a cache I would like to find a rich cougar to support my metal detecting adventures.

Agreed,my thoughts as well.

OxShoeDrew
01-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Two years ago I set a goal of finding 50 coppers. I had mixed emotions when I reached it as I put unnecessary pressure on myself. This past year I counted coppers but had no goal in mind. Thankfully, as I only found 30 :lol:

So, I guess my goal this year is to just take it one hunt at a time....and keep trying to find things that interest/excite me. I might find stuff I didn't even know existed :daydream:

tanacat
01-05-2014, 09:15 AM
My other goal is to go out and see if I can find a gold pocket watch my friends grandfather lost in a field, I think that would be so cool to be able to find it and I know he would be pretty happy too.

How neat it would be to find that watch for him! Good luck!!! :clapping:

Fire Fighter 43
01-05-2014, 09:20 AM
I always gauge my year on silver coins, so my goal is to finally break 100 for the year. I also have to add, to find my first gold coin. I know a certain little grove that just has to have atleast one gold coin. Good luck and happy hunting to all of you in 2014.

skribnodsister
01-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks Tanacat! It will probably be like looking for a needle in a hay stack, but I'm still gonna go out and try and see if I can find it. :detecting:

KYBuzzBox
01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I would like to find a 1700-1800 coin at one of my colonial station sites. All I have found so far is just pieces of trade silver cut into small wedges. A whole coin would make my year.

giant056
01-08-2014, 12:54 PM
I want to get my boat going and search some of the islands and sand bars in all these lakes we've got here in Michigan. I've always wanted to do it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Longhair
01-08-2014, 01:06 PM
I want to get my boat going and search some of the islands and sand bars in all these lakes we've got here in Michigan. I've always wanted to do it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.I started doing it last year, and it is worth the effort. I built a hookah too, and hope to get more opportunity to use it next season.

Coinshooter
01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
I have some rather crazy goals some may say for 2014. My first full year was 2013 I feel I did just OK.

2014 goals

1 Reale
1 Seated coin
1 Barber

Big goal of the year is a Fugio.

These goals are very achievable in my area being in New England. Happy hunting all.

Bell-Two
01-10-2014, 08:20 AM
My goals are to have another hunt with Tony Two Cent and Daddy Digger...and for us to have the good time we always seem to have. :)

lee
01-10-2014, 08:32 AM
ohhhh......a spanish reale would be nice , somthing where i can see the date , i have had a half reale,tiny little thin thing it was and wiped clean.
another thing i would like to see is chrisinct and bamart my two detecting buddies lose there freaking minds over somthing thay find , then i wouldnt feel like a bloody nutter every time i find something cool and start doing silly dances and thrusting my hips forward and shouting "YES..YES...YES.."

giant056
01-10-2014, 08:54 AM
I started doing it last year, and it is worth the effort. I built a hookah too, and hope to get more opportunity to use it next season.

Al at Prostock detector's has had them hookah's for quite some time and I've always thought about one, heck even cruising the shoreline of a lake with snorkel and fins sounds good to me, maybe I'll pic me up a good set of fins this year cause I've already found several really nice masks and snorkels in the water. Heck I haven't had a pair of fins on since treasure hunting when I was a kid :)

jbolf6
01-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Tony, my goal is to dig more low tones. I enjoy hunting for silver coins and rings, but I know I am passing good targets because I am not digging those lower tones. I am sure I have missed gold jewelry by not digging those tones. I did find one gold wedding band in 2013.

Lowjiber
01-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Since I do almost all my detecting in the desert, my goal is not to get bitten by a rattlesnake.:lol:

del
01-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Since I do almost all my detecting in the desert, my goal is not to get bitten by a rattlesnake.:lol:

John , i sincerely hope you meet that goal :crossfingers:

Mojo Daddy
01-26-2014, 12:17 AM
My goal is to spend more time detecting.

MIKE54
01-30-2014, 05:29 PM
To find something made of gold (gotta dig more junk, I guess), to find a large cent with a legible date and to find a Barber quarter and/or half. And to get out and hunt with some fellow Ct. detectorists !

milco
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
I always gauge my year on silver coins, so my goal is to finally break 100 for the year. I also have to add, to find my first gold coin. I know a certain little grove that just has to have atleast one gold coin. Good luck and happy hunting to all of you in 2014.

There has got to be gold coins in that grove Jeff, I hope you find one!

slvrsrchr
02-06-2014, 08:45 PM
being somewhat new, my goals are simple........learn my new machine (AT Pro), and find my first pre-1900 coin...........oldest coint o date is a 1928 mercury dime...........29 years to go!

Ole # 7
02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
I'd like to
1.) Get my 1st machine
2.) Use it in Michigan, Connecticut, Nevada, Tennessee, Virginia, AND Arizona (states with family!)
3.) Meet some new friends along the way

KCFindIt
02-13-2014, 08:59 PM
I would like to find a hunting buddy to share my enthusiasm. Would also like to be the go-to gal for finding other people's lost valuables. A "first" beach hunt would be nice. Getting to hunt on a daily basis would also be sweet.