PDA

View Full Version : Monday hunt with "cellar guys" (complete knee buckle and more)

Thiltzy
12-31-2013, 10:05 PM
So Dan sends me a PM Sunday night for an invite to hunt Monday. I have to work every time Dan wants to get a hunt together.:hairpulling: I decide to call my boss and ask to burn a vacation day and luckily I get the green light.

I can't even begin to express how much fun it is to hunt with such great company in the likes of Dan, George, and Dave. Simply put, it's just meant to be. What a great crew. George with 40 yrs experience and Dan not far behind, Dave around 20 yrs and me at only 3 yrs of hunting experience the rook.

No coppers for me Monday. However, I was very pleased with finding a beautiful complete knee buckle probably mid 1700's. I'll take one of these any day over a crusty copper:lol: The frame seems to be a tombac material while the tongue and chape are made of brass. I found a mystery disc that sounded just like a copper, it is holed but I have no clue what it could be:dontknow: Also found an old gold plated brass ring with a star maker mark inside the band. An 1864 Indian head, part of a shoe buckle frame, 4 tombacs and some floral design buttons rounded out my finds for the day.

I want to thank Dan for the invite and organizing a great time. Got to get together more often guys:detecting:

HEAVYMETALNUT
12-31-2013, 10:09 PM
awesome hunt! love the knee buckle! sweet buttons.the ring looks victorian to me.

coinnut
12-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Wow great looking buttons!! Those are some fine decorated buttons :groovy: The knee buckle spikes looks like they was made "of-set" on purpose....maybe to be positioned better stress wise for tightening. Also check that '64 Indian, it may be a pointed bust which would make it an 1864 L. You had a great hunt. What's up with the picture of them two guys in their Charlie's Angels pose?:hystericallaugh:

del
01-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Well Dave must of made a great sacrifice to the copper gods the night before so they would deny the "Copper King" just one more to end your year. :lol: You did make some very good relic finds Todd and the knee buckle is a beauty , does it look like it may have had a third tine that broke off?? triple pronged ones are very uncommon but they are out there. I think you did great and "held" your own for the " rookie" in the group ;). we got to do it again soon.

Dan

del
01-01-2014, 12:49 AM
What's up with the picture of them two guys in their Charlie's Angels pose?:hystericallaugh:

yeah we were just missing you and your long locks in the middle "Farrah":rofl:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-01-2014, 07:20 AM
ha ha!

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-01-2014, 07:21 AM
todd whats the pointy,holey thing on top in group photo?

Thiltzy
01-01-2014, 06:05 PM
:lol: You did make some very good relic finds Todd and the knee buckle is a beauty , does it look like it may have had a third tine that broke off?? triple pronged ones are very uncommon but they are out there. I think you did great and "held" your own for the " rookie" in the group ;). we got to do it again soon.
Dan Dan, the knee buckle did have three tines, one of them is missing. By the way, Dave and I got out today and I got my 1st copper of 2014:grin:

Thiltzy
01-01-2014, 06:05 PM
todd whats the pointy,holey thing on top in group photo? No idea Davey

Thiltzy
01-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Wow great looking buttons!! Those are some fine decorated buttons :groovy: The knee buckle spikes looks like they was made "of-set" on purpose....maybe to be positioned better stress wise for tightening. Also check that '64 Indian, it may be a pointed bust which would make it an 1864 L. You had a great hunt. What's up with the picture of them two guys in their Charlie's Angels pose?:hystericallaugh: Thanks George. The knee buckle is missing one tine, I don't see an L on the Indian, it might be worn off:dontknow:

del
01-01-2014, 06:18 PM
By the way, Dave and I got out today and I got my 1st copper of 2014:grin:

already up on Dave for coppers ??

Timewarpdigger
01-01-2014, 06:21 PM
What a wide variety of finds, one great dig. I would be walking around for a week in a stupor. LOL Congrats, safe & HH

Thiltzy
01-01-2014, 07:01 PM
already up on Dave for coppers ??Yup... Score = Todd - 1 Dave - 0

The Rebel
01-01-2014, 07:06 PM
WTG Todd! :clapping: Looks like the season will be down for a while until the ground thaws. :bangahead02:

coinnut
01-01-2014, 07:21 PM

I'm holding out for more money :grin:

Thanks George. The knee buckle is missing one tine, I don't see an L on the Indian, it might be worn off:dontknow:

If you Google pointed bust and round bust on the 1864 Indian, you can see the difference. If it has the pointy bust it is positively an "L". The L is very hard to see if you don't hold the coin at just right angle.

Lodge Scent
01-01-2014, 07:48 PM
That is a nice buckle :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-01-2014, 08:09 PM
Yup... Score = Todd - 1 Dave - 0
ehhhhh shad up!

Thiltzy
01-01-2014, 08:54 PM
If you Google pointed bust and round bust on the 1864 Indian, you can see the difference. If it has the pointy bust it is positively an "L". The L is very hard to see if you don't hold the coin at just right angle.
I still can't tell if it's pointes or round:confused:

coinnut
01-01-2014, 09:12 PM
I still can't tell if it's pointes or round:confused:

Look at how thick the round bust is and how narrow the pointed bust looks.

Bell-Two
01-01-2014, 09:31 PM
Nice stuff there...gosh you guys just amaze me with the variety of neat stuff you find...love it!