PDA

View Full Version : 2013 In Review

z118
01-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Well, another year is in the books. Although 2013 was not my best year of detecting strictly in terms of the value of all my finds, it was nevertheless very easily the best in terms of finding the good stuff - old coins, nice relics, and otherwise desirable treasure.

2013 marked a real break from my past hunting tendencies. I started hunting a variety of new areas and atypical spots that I never would have bothered with before. I spent more time in new places that in any year before now, and it seemed to pay off. In addition, I hunted some old spots of mine with a new perspective and a new determination, and I managed to pull quite a few goodies from places that I had until then considered unproductive or "hunted out."

For as good as the year was, I had high hopes that it would wind up being even better, but a very early winter shaved a good one or two months off the season compared with years past. I also lost a solid month of detecting due to my step daughter's wedding in September. But otherwise I got in a good amount of digging this year, with good weather, nice conditions, and time to enjoy both. Although I will add this was the worst year for mosquitoes that I have ever seen.

So on to the finds...

I'll start with the clad as always. Although I went looking for it less this year than ever before, I nevertheless wound up with a decent amount. I dug somewhere over 5,500 clad coins worth about $450. In July I dug my 50,000th career coins which was pretty cool. Not sure how long it will take me to hit 100,000.

Here is most of it rolled and ready to go to the bank, minus a bunch of pennies I still need to roll:

It was absolutely my best year for silver coins. My previous highest total in a year was 78. This year I dug 115. I found my first Barber quarter, and then 4 more after that. I also found my first two SLQ's in my home turf, and one with a legible date. And I was lucky enough to dig my first really excellent coin spill, comprised of two Barber quarters, 3 Mercs, and a Buffalo nickel.

Although I don't think of it as a contest by any stretch of the imagination, I was none the less quite please to be pacing myself in terms of silver coins with Tony on the forum. I figured I would have really arrived in the world of detecting if I could wind up with a silver count close to his at the end of the year. I was doing pretty well in that regard for a while - until the latter part of the season when he put of some amazing numbers in a short period. I'm still more than pleased with my total though. Maybe next year!

:lol:

It was also my absolute best year for old, non silver coins. I found more Buffalo nickels, V nickels, wheat pennies, and Indian head pennies than any other year. I also found my first two shield nickels - and one with rays!

Here's all the good oldies:

All the wheats in piles by decade. I think I wound up with around 550 total. As I was sorting them I was mystified to see that the older ones (from the teens, 20's, and 30's) consistently seemed to have a nicer patina and less corrosion than those from the 40's and 50's. I wonder what's up with that?

Here are the pre-1959 Jefferson nickels, and most of the Buffs, V nickels, and Indian head pennies.

Some close ups of the better ones. One of the new spots I hunted this year was very kind to old coins. All four coins in the second pic came from this location.

It was not my best year for non coin silver items, but I still found some nice pieces. It's always nice digging a silver utensil. The boy scout ring and the small log cabin charm are among my favorites. Combined these items weigh a bit over 4 troy ounces.

A close up of the rings:

I dug a good number of gold items this year (9) but most were small and only 10k (not complaining!)

It was my best year for relics. I really enjoyed finding these items. I got a two nice crotal bells, a sweet old padlock, my first toe plate, a pocket watch, my oldest dog tag, and a mess of other goodies. The appeal of these sorts of items continues to increase for me. I know these pale in comparison with some of the sweet relics coming out of New England cellar holes, but I'm still thrilled to dig this stuff.

A close up of the dog tags and some coll tokens (and a button to fill out the pic):

So that's my year! I also dug a mess of keys, tokens, trinkets, and miscellaneous junk but I don't have the energy to arrange it for pics.

Thanks once again to everyone on the forum for all you add to the hobby... for sharing your knowledge, excitement, and humor. It is priceless to me.

And good luck to everyone in 2014!

Ronandari
01-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Very nice finds and excellent presentation. You obviously take great care with your finds.

Cheers

Ron

Digger Don
01-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Wow, what a year you had. You must have hunted everyday. If I got that in a lifetime i think I would be happy. I found a pce. this year that looks exactly like that catfish.
CONGRATS on a super year. Best of luck in 2014

bob_e99
01-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Very nice post Matt. My head is swimming with all those finds. I had hope to provide a little bit more competition for you in the silver area but you blew me away early and often :crying01: Like you though, I gave up on the usual places and strived to hit the way out sites. Unfortunately, I wasn't quite as successful as you.

I'm just very awed by the fact that you found quite a bit of really nice oldies that look like they came fresh from the mint :shocked04:, add some nice silver rings and some very nice gold rings and there's no doubt that you had an awesome year.

Here's to 2014 :beerbuddy: and more goodies and maybe a little better competition from me :thumbsup01:

aloldstuff
01-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Fantastic year in review. Some really great items, especially love all the rings, your 1853 LC, and it looks like you got all the war nickels.
Your relics are amazing, I have been dying to dig a lead soldier.

Here's hoping that 2014 is even better and that you give Tony a good run for the silver king.

giant056
01-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Awesome year you had there :thumbsup02:
............... :congrats:

Tony Two-Cent
01-02-2014, 08:37 AM
I would take your year over mine any day, Matt! Sometimes quality is better than quantity and your finds prove that to be true. The fact that you found 4 Walkers and 5 Barber Quarters is just incredible! I've never even come close to that in a year. Also, I've yet to find a large cent with my E-Trac. Your 1816 large cent beats my oldest US coin by 41 years. I did not find any gold items this year, and you also found a lot more silver bling than I did.

You had an amazing year! :notworthy:

You are one of the most successful detectorists on this forum. CONGRATS! :perfect10:

coinnut
01-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Yep, that was a super year:perfect10: You don't really realize how much you find until it's all laid out. Great stuff Matt!!!

Paullywog55
01-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Congratulation Z118, that was an awesome year for you. I would like to find half of what you found. Good luck in the new year.

coop
01-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Nice digs!!!!!!

Timewarpdigger
01-02-2014, 06:52 PM
What a great year hope you have continued success in the new year. Safe & HH

del
01-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Matt , those finds totals are incredibly impressive:loveit: my friend and would make anyone proud .well rounded as far as you got some of everything there.congrats again and hope to see you and your dad again this summer.

Dan

Hook
01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
you can hold your head high Zman. you had a really fine year. those finds would make anyone happy to have in their pouch. i admire your tenacity and willingness to hunt new spots out of your confort zone, and you have the finds that shows you made good choices in locations.

Tony hit it dead on when he said you're one of the more sucessful detectorists on this forum.

Congrats on a year anyone would be happy with ! may you do even better in 2014.

PL8MAN
01-03-2014, 11:27 PM
:shocked04: WOW ! What a year ! Congrats
Glen

wisconsin digger
01-04-2014, 11:40 PM
Wowza, that was a great year. Wisconsin Digger

tanacat
01-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Wow! I love, love, love your relics :perfect10: of course all your coins are great, but wow! Congrats on all the gold items too :)

Great year for you- good luck in 2014!

Fire Fighter 43
01-05-2014, 09:46 AM
Very nice, you had a fantastic year. Congrats and good luck in 2014.

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-07-2014, 09:34 PM
matt thats a hell of a year! way to go!

Lodge Scent
01-10-2014, 05:40 PM
That is heck of a year! You must have worn out a digging tool or two.

don in ny
01-11-2014, 08:00 AM
Looks like you had yourself a good year. Those finds would make anyone a happy camper. The large cent and V nickel are in amazing condition for ground finds. Way to go!