PDA

View Full Version : please help me clean my first finds electrolysis or not

driley
01-02-2014, 02:50 PM
Good afternoon everyone I am new at metal detecting I was able to get out to a site that looked very promising well it was I found 2 silver spoons an axe head a few iron tools an old padlock that's about 6 inches by 4 inches and an old bell and part of a belt buckle a lead figurine and best was a clay smoking pipe while recovering the bell I have been looking at electrolysis I watched a few videos of guys doing it with a car battery charger in a 5 gallon bucket does anyone have any suggestions I don't want to ruin the bell I am posting this from my phone so it won't let me upload any pictures as soon as I can get to my computer I will post pictures PS my detector was still going hat wire as I was leaving the site but the sun was down and no flash light all items are very badly corroded

coinnut
01-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Well take your time and don't rush cleaning anything. When you can post some pictures, everyone can have a look at each item individually. Every relic must be looked over to see what its made of, how damaged it is, and what the best course of action is. The key is not to rush anything.

Mayadigger
01-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Ave driley!

"I have been looking at electrolysis I watched a few videos of guys doing it with a car battery charger in a 5 gallon bucket"

No, no, no, no...! Do Not use electrolysis until you know what your doing, my friend, trust me - especially with a car battery charger in a 5 gallon bucket! I shudder at the thought -

Electrolysis, or 'zapping' can be your best friend...or your worst nightmare. Please post photos of what you're considering to 'zap'. I can help.

Best regards,

Kevin

driley
01-04-2014, 03:57 PM
36424 36425 36426 3642736428 I emailed a picture of the clay pipe to an antique pipe collector that emailed me back telling me it was from the early to to mid 1800"s which makes since becauseI found plate with a symbol and did research and found it was a plate manufacturer during the 1860"a 36429

Mayadigger
01-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Ave!

Other than the iron objects, I'd put them all in a distilled water soak, for now. The pipe should be a snap to clean, just work the wet dirt with a dental pick, return and repeat. The figurine appears to be either painted or gilded; can you tell which? Keep the bell, etc., in the DW until you can scrub off as much of the dirt as possible. Once done, can you post new photos?

Best, Kevin

driley
01-04-2014, 05:52 PM
The figurine is painted and the pipe and figurine I cleaned with a soft bristle brush after soaking them thanks for the info I didn't want to try cleaning theobjects until I could find out how thank you

coinnut
01-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Ave!

Other than the iron objects, I'd put them all in a distilled water soak, for now. The pipe should be a snap to clean, just work the wet dirt with a dental pick, return and repeat. The figurine appears to be either painted or gilded; can you tell which? Keep the bell, etc., in the DW until you can scrub off as much of the dirt as possible. Once done, can you post new photos?

Best, Kevin

I agree. I see mostly dirt as a top layer. Slowly removing the dirt after a long soak will be the best first step. With the painted figure, you will need to be more patient, since the paint can be removed easily, even with just brushing. If you are going to use a brush, do it wit a very very soft bristle and very wet. Do not rub hard in any manor. But just try a soaking and see what dirt just falls off.

Mayadigger
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
I agree. I see mostly dirt as a top layer. Slowly removing the dirt after a long soak will be the best first step. With the painted figure, you will need to be more patient, since the paint can be removed easily, even with just brushing. If you are going to use a brush, do it wit a very very soft bristle and very wet. Do not rub hard in any manor. But just try a soaking and see what dirt just falls off.

Exactly! In another thread I mentioned using a pin vise (http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=983) and felt burr (http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=156) for cleaning delicate items, such as your painted figurine. 36460

I like to use the burr damp/wet. Harder than a q-tip but not as harsh as a brush.

Best to all,

Kevin