PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Coins with Fragile Patinas

Mayadigger
01-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Ave!

A few weeks ago, we received an English copper coin, George/Britannia, dated 1747, from Drew for cleaning/restoration.

The 1st photo is as received - a very thin and extremely fragile green patina, edges crumbling on both sides.

Coins like these are difficult to clean, due to the dirt vs patina: even using a bamboo skewer or a dried rose thorn may be too harsh. Even soaking in distilled water is not a good idea.

We suggest that you clean similar patina coins dry...sort of; more soaking in DW never really helps. In the case of Drew's coin, I only used SpitnPolish (http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=1059)and a felt bur in a pin vice (http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=1059). Once the dirt was removed there was nothing else to improve the coin.

As seen in the 2nd after photo, the reverse has issues. The yellowish latter half of this coin is NOT patina, but rather a oxidized bubble of patina that never set. Even light brushing with the felt bur would have/may have collapsed the bubble...so I left it alone.

Once removed of dirt via the above, we used Ren Wax (http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=99) to restore the patina color and to preserve and keep the crumbing patina intact.

It is what it is. Never ask more from your finds than what they will reveal. Never be in a hurry. Ask for advice.

Best regards,

Kevin

del
01-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Kevin you definitely brought out the coin's more appealing patina coloration and the coin also has better definition of the images featured on the two sides. The ren-wax will keep the surfaces from deteriorating further for a long time . Well done :clapping:

Dan

coinnut
01-03-2014, 09:43 PM
It's always a tough call on colonial coppers. At first glance, coming out of the hole, the coin look like the dirt will just peel away revealing a nice scar free copper. But if removed you may end up with a corroded slug :lol: I have been nicely surprised by many coins, but utterly disappointed by others.

Robbie
01-04-2014, 10:31 AM
The date looks more clear before cleaning,you lost the 4

coinnut
01-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Yeah. Colonials are tough. Sometimes what you see coming out of the ground is a shell of what used to be there. Once you disturb that shell you are left with nothing :crying02: That is one reason to get as much information on a coin right when you find it, cause by the time you get home, the dirt dries and peels away showing only a slug. It always comes down to the type of soil and the true preservation of the metal. Areas of lime deposits usually give you better preserved coins.

del
01-04-2014, 12:49 PM
I think this is a great lesson for us who find the colonial coins here in New England , to be able to identify the more fragile patinas (yellows and browns) from the more stable ones (Greens) .

So Kevin in your opinion what would be the best way to keep these fragile patinas stable , say from the time we recover them from the moist or wet dirt to the time we bring them home to evaluate their condition and i'd'ing them. let them dry out , keep them moist or placing them in water right a way??

another question is does coating a coin like with ren-wax thwart your efforts to clean it or can you easily and carefully strip the wax off to clean it and then reapply it after your process.

Thanks ,

Dan

Thiltzy
01-04-2014, 02:55 PM
I sent Kevin my Machin Mills copper and I feel he did a good job. Some coins just can't be improved much. I do think Drews coin does look a little better

OxShoeDrew
01-04-2014, 03:14 PM
It hasn't arrived back as of yet. I actually forgot about it, then I saw this post :lol:

Mayadigger
01-04-2014, 05:12 PM
I think this is a great lesson for us who find the colonial coins here in New England , to be able to identify the more fragile patinas (yellows and browns) from the more stable ones (Greens) .

So Kevin in your opinion what would be the best way to keep these fragile patinas stable , say from the time we recover them from the moist or wet dirt to the time we bring them home to evaluate their condition and i'd'ing them. let them dry out , keep them moist or placing them in water right a way??

another question is does coating a coin like with ren-wax thwart your efforts to clean it or can you easily and carefully strip the wax off to clean it and then reapply it after your process.

Thanks ,

Dan

Ave!

For ancient coins I always recommend keeping them in DW between cleanings, but not for colonials like these. Rinse, allow to dry, gentle scrubs, repeat until you're pleased. Then Ren Wax and buff. Multiple coats will add more beauty.

Best, Kevin

The Rebel
01-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Very interesting article! That's for posting.

What is your take on using olive oil? I see so many that use it (myself included) while others say not to use it.

Where can you get this ren-wax stuff?

Thiltzy
01-05-2014, 09:44 AM

What is your take on using olive oil? I see so many that use it (myself included) while others say not to use it.

Where can you get this ren-wax stuff? just order it online Roger, it lasts forever.

coinnut
01-05-2014, 10:15 AM
It's real name is renaissance wax. We call it ren-wax for short.

The Rebel
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Thanks guys!

It's real name is renaissance wax. We call it ren-wax for short.

That's what I thought, but didn't want to assume :grin:

coinnut
01-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys!

That's what I thought, but didn't want to assume :grin:

It's a bit pricey, but it goes a long way. I think I paid $27.50 for the 200ml can on fleebay. That is the big can....I have a lot of stuff to coat :lol:

del
01-05-2014, 08:23 PM
It's a bit pricey, but it goes a long way. I think I paid $27.50 for the 200ml can on fleebay. That is the big can....I have a lot of stuff to coat :lol:

before you go crazy with that stuff this winter just remember its for inanimate objects so keep it off your Wife and the pets :rofl:

Mayadigger
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Where can you get this ren-wax stuff?

Ave!

I'm no longer a fan of olive oil other than in salads. Although it is mildly acidic, it's real mess to work with and, after long soaks, can turn green patina's black. Distilled waters is best.

Our NRC shop had ren-wax in 1oz for a lot less than $27. ;-) A little really does go a very long way. http://www.nobleromancoins.com/product_info.php?products_id=99

The Rebel
01-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks Maya! :thumbsup01:

giant056
01-09-2014, 10:27 AM
I know exactly what you mean about that fragile patina Maya, certain area's that I hunt here the soil is very hard on coins and I've learned not to do anything to them til I get home and carefully investigate. I wish that I would have done that years ago but I guess that's how you learn. A good name for the dirt would be swamp dirt(muck) that's one of the worst.

Coinshooter
01-09-2014, 04:06 PM
Oh man, I have this issue a few weeks ago. I found my first Drape bust 1798, I got it home put it in some warm water and now, sadly I have a flat copper disc with a 7 on it :(

The Rebel
01-13-2014, 12:44 PM
Just bought the 65ml can and am going to use it on my 1803 DB. I'll post some before & after pics.

RobW
01-21-2014, 03:47 PM
before you go crazy with that stuff this winter just remember its for inanimate objects so keep it off your Wife and the pets :rofl:

I thought he was going to be trying to use it on himself, to "self-preserve":lol:

coinnut
01-21-2014, 07:41 PM
I thought he was going to be trying to use it on himself, to "self-preserve":lol:

As soon as I figure out how to drink it, I'll be fine....a little waxy, but fine :lol: