PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for backup machine.

Ronandari
01-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Hello all.
I am considering getting a backup / loaner machine and I am looking for suggestions. I want something that is simple enough for my wife (not a techie) can operate but still quality enough that I can use and be satisfied. I am currently using the VX3 and I'm considering the MX5 for my backup. This unit would be interchangeable with the six coils that I currently own.
I am open to other brands if someone can suggest something in the same price range ($500)that would have enough benefits to outweigh the coil interchange advantage that I would get from the mx5.
Also if anyone has experience with the MX5 could offer pros and cons I would like to hear.

Thanks

Ron

freemindstuck
01-10-2014, 02:21 PM
If it were me and I already owned a vx3. I would get a relatively inexpensive water machine like Garrett's AT Pro. Which your wife can use on land, as well as serve double duty as a detector for rivers and swimming holes. In my area of the country when it gets over a 100 degrees detecting in the water starts looking pretty good.

OxShoeDrew
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
I'd guess the mx5 would be great seeing how you already have the extra coils. Having never owned a Whites I can't say how user friendly it is. Good luck with your decision.

Thiltzy
01-10-2014, 05:23 PM
My first machine was a whites M6. It's a very good entry level machine. Pretty much a turn on and go machine but you can tweak it some. Has salt mode for the beach and a jewelry coin mode. Highly recommend it as a good back up and easy enough to use for the wife. It is interchangeable with all the whites coils and is a coin hog.

whammy
01-10-2014, 06:49 PM
In the February issue of Lost Treasure they have a field test article about the MX5, and they speak very highly of it.

ODA 226
01-11-2014, 04:59 AM
Garrett AT PRO for sure!

Lodge Scent
01-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Ron, you can also get good used MXTs for short money and have all your coils at your disposal. There are a few folks on this site that use those MXTs with incredible success year after year.

Boulder
01-14-2014, 11:11 PM
Hello Ron;
A used MXT Pro is a great machine if wanting to stay with the Whites line-up, but as a care free loaner/back-up the AT Pro $600 new is waterproof to 10 feet should the machine get rained on or dropped in water and also rated well.
Best luck in your choice. John.

kray
01-16-2014, 09:25 PM
It's a no brainier. Go with an MXT or an M6. Great, easy to use machines, and great service. You've also got lots of $$ in the coils. I've owned both and miss them.

Ronandari
01-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Thanks everyone for all your inputs. I have done my best to look into the AT pro and MXT as well as the MX5 and haven't come to a conclusion yet. At this time I am looking at using the VX3 as the turn on and go unit for my wife and as a loaner/backup and getting the E Trac also. I like the idea of having the E Trac in the arsenal. I like what I read about this machine. I know that this would toss the mid range price out the window but it is an option that I need to explore. I welcome inputs from all of you to help me come to the best choice possible.

Cheers

Ron

Ronandari
01-24-2014, 05:15 PM
Well I finally came around to a decision. After a lot of research and shopping around I decided on a used E trak that I picked up from Pulltabsteve. thanks Steve! I couldn't bring myself to buy something that didn't have room to grow into. Since I know the VX3 it will be easy to teach the wife how to operate and it can be used as a turn on and go if needed. As for all the coils, it looks like I will out some up for sale to offset the E trak price. I only use the SEF coils anyway so I won't mind parting with the whites coils. I wish the weather was better so I could get out and swing. Thanks for all the inputs.

Ron

Tom
01-27-2014, 02:07 PM
ron, have you used any of those SEF coils on any salt beaches? IF so your thoughts please.
Thanks Tom.

del
01-27-2014, 02:28 PM
Ron you'll like the results of this machine .

Ronandari
01-27-2014, 04:06 PM
ron, have you used any of those SEF coils on any salt beaches? IF so your thoughts please.
Thanks Tom.

I haven't had that chance yet Tom, I am a little landlocked here in KY but I am hoping to try it out this summer. I will hold on to the 950 concentric for that specific purpose though.
I like your profile pic. What model do you ride?

Regards

Ron

Ronandari
01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Ron you'll like the results of this machine .

I believe you are right Del. I took it to the fairgrounds. Yesterday and although the ground was frozen solid I was able to chisel out one penny. It seems to separate very well and I found a few targets that gave me a deep short blip at about 10 inches repeating a co# 44 from different angles. I thought this was interesting because they were surrounded by trash signals. I'm looking forward to the thaw so I can investigate.

Ron

Tom
01-28-2014, 06:08 AM
I haven't had that chance yet Tom, I am a little landlocked here in KY but I am hoping to try it out this summer. I will hold on to the 950 concentric for that specific purpose though.
I like your profile pic. What model do you ride?

Regards

Ron

Thanks Ron. I need to pick up a concentric for my V3i. Guess what I was wondering was, if the SEF would behave pretty much the same as the 10DD in the salt.The scoot is a 07 Fatboy!