PDA

View Full Version : I need help on restoration advice of my eagle belt plates

Thiltzy
01-10-2014, 06:32 PM
I need some advice on cleaning and restoring my two Eagle Sword Belt Plates that I dug recently. Dan, Dave , George or anyone out there with experience in restoring these rare relics please watch this video to get a good idea of their condition. I DON"T want to screw this one up!:crossfingers:
Thank you for any help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JIVW-iG8I4

del
01-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Todd when you say restoration what exactly do you want them to look like ?? the one plate has great patina on it , you want it stripped and the shiny brass to show instead?? the other thin one has some real damage but you did a pretty good job on straightening it out i could recommend a couple of names of guys that do a professional restoration on them.

coinnut
01-10-2014, 08:29 PM
I agree, the only part you may want to work on would be the rusty part. If you remove the rest of the surface you have there, it may be a lot worse. At most I would toothpick any crevices that still had dirt in them and maybe tackle that rusty area with a toothpick also. Then ren-wax it.

Thiltzy
01-10-2014, 08:50 PM
Ok guys, I don't want to strip the patina and I started tooth picking both plates. However, some of the patina is flaking at the edges and there still is a filmy and very thin layer of dirt covering most of the plates. Soap and water won't remove that very thin layer. How can I get that thin layer of dirt off? if I can get that removed and finishing toothpicking I want to renz wax them. That rusty spot is a very hard gritty substance almost like cement. Tooth pick wont work.

del
01-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Todd you could just put some clr only on the rust area to try to loosen it up , maybe dabbing it on the rust only with a cotton q-tip . being very careful not to get it on the regular patina.

the dirt film is hard to determine because i cant really see it in the video , i do know that after you clean something they can get a chalky look to them after a bit of time . i usually reclean them with soapy water and soft brush. pat them dry and as soon as they are i will coat them with the ren wax and after buff them out with a stiff bristle brush.

coinnut
01-11-2014, 07:59 AM
That layer you are talking about is probably hiding the true look of the metal. You have to decide if you want to remove it or not.:lol: That is the question we all face. You may have a great looking piece below it, or it was hiding the pits and discoloration from view. I would pick an area on the reverse side that is flaking near the edge and work that area until you are sure you have gotten through the last layer of dirt. Then after drying, see what you have. If you have ren-wax on hand put some on, and that is what it will look like. If you are happy with that, then continue testing other parts. It's hard to explain what to do, because it really needs to be watched as you do it.

Bell-Two
01-11-2014, 09:15 AM
That is always the hardest decision to do on our relics and or coins, how much cleaning is enough? I come to the conclusion that sometimes things are best left alone that if I am happy with it then that is good enough. Other times I decide to go ahead and try because until I dug it up it "did not exist" anyway. Whatever you do I am sure you will do under careful consideration and I am sure you will do your best!

chief5709
01-11-2014, 11:06 AM
I would leave them as is... just my opinion. Good luck they are great finds!

RobW
01-14-2014, 01:23 PM
Todd,

Send Al a PM. He has a guy who does amazing restoration work. He did an amazing job on his 1812 eagle, and you cant even tell any work was done, and it was all %^*% up. The guy didn't charge too much. Have Al send you before and after pics too...you'll be amazed.

I was down your way this weekend with Tim. We found a good spot. Scored an 1807 LC. It was hard digging. We plan on hitting it come spring when we can actually dig. I bent my brand new relic shovel!

Robert

Thiltzy
01-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Todd,

Send Al a PM. He has a guy who does amazing restoration work. He did an amazing job on his 1812 eagle, and you cant even tell any work was done, and it was all %^*% up. The guy didn't charge too much. Have Al send you before and after pics too...you'll be amazed.

I was down your way this weekend with Tim. We found a good spot. Scored an 1807 LC. It was hard digging. We plan on hitting it come spring when we can actually dig. I bent my brand new relic shovel!

Robert Rob, your pm folder is full. I can not send a message

RobW
01-15-2014, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I realized that yesterday when I tried to send one to you and it wouldn't let me. Just haven't had time to deal with it. Will do this morning