PDA

View Full Version : New kind of slug??

coinnut
01-11-2014, 04:34 PM
OK you modern hunters, I found this at a site a couple of months ago. Same site - 2 slugs. My question is: Are these 2 slugs a new type of deer slug? I have found many deer slugs (shown on right side of 1st picture), in many different shapes, but these two slugs have me stumped? They have plastic inserts on the bottom and are cast lead? Anyone ever used or seen one of these. Or are they a new type of rifle slug maybe?

Lodge Scent
01-11-2014, 06:35 PM
I haven't chased a deer in 25 years but I think those are sabot slugs with a hollow base and a plastic insert. From what I've read, the base is hollowed to save weight and the plastic insert keeps the slug from deforming in flight (more accurate).

coinnut
01-11-2014, 07:26 PM
I haven't chased a deer in 25 years but I think those are sabot slugs with a hollow base and a plastic insert. From what I've read, the base is hollowed to save weight and the plastic insert keeps the slug from deforming in flight (more accurate).

I believe that's it. They come in all shapes and sizes, but one picture showed the slug in a shell that looked like it. It was a Federal Premium Fusion sabot 20 gauge. Thanks, I knew someone would know this:lol: Don't want to get hit by that thing:shocked04: