PDA

View Full Version : Copper hunting today

coinnut
05-22-2010, 07:47 PM
Del was camping so he didn't get to go out on a hunt with a good friend of ours named Keith. We started out around 8ish and things were tough going for most of the hunt. Did manage an 1889 Indian and a newer military button, but other than that it was slow. Keith couldn't hunt long, so I was solo for the rest of the hunt. Went on my long journeys like I usually do lol hey, it's good exercise and sometimes you get rewarded. I did with a 1824 Large Cent. I thought I wouldn't get any today. Then went in a different area and got the '24D Mercury and on the way back to the truck, I saw a small hill that looked good on the way in. Got a 12-38 reading on the E Trac, so I was thinking Wheatie, or bullet. Out pops a George II copper :shocked04: That's not reading right :dontknow: should be 12-44. Definitely counterfeit, so that's why the reading is so low. Ended with one more copper which was barely recognizable as a Connecticut, but the cleaning took out all the remaining details. Oh and as for the plumbob's lol I guess I have a collection going now :rolleyes: Boy they read just like coppers

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-22-2010, 08:01 PM
wow what a hunt! 3 coppers :behave:
your definitely gonna meet your goal this year G :happydance01:
nice stuff man!

angellionel
05-22-2010, 10:37 PM
That is some great stuff. :shocked04:stretcher: It does pay to do a lot of walking and try out new areas. I think Dave is right, you will meet your copper goal for the year. thumbsup01

randy
05-22-2010, 10:59 PM
3 coppers is a pretty sweet hunt. And I think I'd would have been going bonkers by about the second plumbob.

John M
05-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Way to go on them coppers George.Must have felt a little strange not having your side kick around.As most of the cellar hole hunters know,the area close to the house most likely has been worked in the past.Working areas away from the house does seem to pay off.
Well as far as your new collection you started I guess that we can call you Plum-Bob Square Pants. :happydance01:

sniffy
05-23-2010, 07:43 AM
20 coppers thus far? :happydance01:

del
05-23-2010, 03:24 PM
i see your streak continues :rolleyes: oh , i'm sorry not the finding the coppers streak :dontknow: i was talking about the finding crappy dog meat shaped coppers streak lol :teasing: lol congrats on increasing your lead to 20 coppers thumbsup01 very impressive :yes: :yes: i guess i
got to get off my copper drought'ed butt and get to work , thats it taking no prisoners next weekend my friend , the
gloves are on :boxing: . congrats on the hunt , George . how did Keith do.

Dan

coinnut
05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
i see your streak continues :rolleyes: oh , i'm sorry not the finding the coppers streak :dontknow: i was talking about the finding crappy dog meat shaped coppers streak lol :teasing: lol

how did Keith do.

Dan

lol I love it when you talk jealous to me rofl Yea, 2 of them are dogmeat, but Keith says most coins from there are junk. But at least the 1824 was in pretty good shape. Keith wasn't there very long and I'm not sure if he got anything. We were just looking for scraps next to the hole, so it was tough going at first. When he left, I wandered lol

Well as far as your new collection you started I guess that we can call you Plum-Bob Square Pants. :happydance01:

lol It's looking like that. ;)

So far this year. I think I was doing the same thing last year and then Summer hits and it dries up. So my goal of 50 is still far away. The only benifit I have is I know my E Trac a little better than last year. We'll see. :dontknow:

Epi-hunter
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Oh and as for the plumbob's lol I guess I have a collection going now :rolleyes: Boy they read just like coppers

lol You know what I'm going to ask, right? Do I even have to ask it? rofl

Dan, you are sounding a bit jealous lol

A very nice hunt George and great coins. Congrats on a successful day :)

coinnut
05-23-2010, 09:14 PM
lol You know what I'm going to ask, right? Do I even have to ask it? rofl

I think you do. lol

del
05-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I think you do. lol

i think you do to. :eyebrow: lol lol

Dan, you are sounding a bit jealous lol

well maybe just a bit , Angie lol lol

Epi-hunter
05-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I retract my question :lipssealed:

del
05-25-2010, 08:12 PM
I retract my question :lipssealed:

hey theres no retraction of questions here :beatdown: :beatdown: say it ...... say it... :eyebrow:

Hook
05-27-2010, 08:57 AM
coinnut...thats a nice bunch of finds there. coongrats on a good days diggin. i just wish i could find some of those old coppers down here in se la, but i dont think theres any chance of those being down here .

BUT...if you like old mardi gras tokens..i'll trade you a few for one of those old plumbobs lol.

coinnut
05-27-2010, 11:34 AM
coinnut...thats a nice bunch of finds there. coongrats on a good days diggin. i just wish i could find some of those old coppers down here in se la, but i dont think theres any chance of those being down here .

BUT...if you like old mardi gras tokens..i'll trade you a few for one of those old plumbobs lol.

Thanks Hook. You should have some coppers in your area along with some of the early 1700's French coinage that you were using in colonial times. As for the Plumbobs lol those are circa 1900 and not worth a lot but pretty cool looking. You guys don't have them down there? I've heard of some nice coinage coming from Louisiana in the older areas. My hunts don't always go that nicely. :rolleyes: We get skunked some times, usually during the summertime. :angry:

tanacat
05-27-2010, 03:30 PM

rofl rofl rofl

Congrats!!! Mighty fine... and hey you have until July to find 5 more then you're half way there thumbsup01

Hook
05-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks Hook. You should have some coppers in your area along with some of the early 1700's French coinage that you were using in colonial times. As for the Plumbobs lol those are circa 1900 and not worth a lot but pretty cool looking. You guys don't have them down there? I've heard of some nice coinage coming from Louisiana in the older areas. My hunts don't always go that nicely. :rolleyes: We get skunked some times, usually during the summertime. :angry:

oh i'm sure theres lots of old coinage in the new orleans area..and north of there{where i'm located}. but with all the flooding in past years its silted over so much the good stuff is probably 12 to 24 inches deep . I havent had the chance to hunt any real old areas that are above the flood plain as of yet, but i'm still doing the research hoping to locate some.

As far as the plumb bobs, i havent see any yet, but i'm sure sooner or later i'll stumble across one. My offer still stands lol...lets trade! :grin: