PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit kgiii hibernia*on the board for 2014

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Got out with Todd today back to a site I did well at last year with the seated half ,half cent,ct copper.
This was the site where Todd got terrorized by the yellow jackets when he rolled a log over.
coming down the hill into the site we see freshly dug gaping open holes all over the place :mad:
not only did they leave em open,they left iron in the holes,beer cans not far from the holes too.
not much left at this site but in a barberry patch i got a nice 1766 KGIII counterfeit Hibernia,rang 31 on the VDI.
we decided to walk down the old road and cross a river.up on the hill on the left was another cellar hole we didn't know about. again..same thing open holes all over.whoever was here was a moron.left buttons in some of the dug holes :hystericallaugh: thank you very much! 2nd site gave up the buttons,a square holed musketball and some odds n ends
was a fun hunt despite what the previous detectors did.we musta just missed em as we got to the site at 10 am.we were in eastern CT.

del
01-18-2014, 11:27 PM
great looking Hibernia ( congrats on your first copper of the year my friend) and the designed tombac button is a beauty :smitten::clapping: unfortunately there seems to be an influx of new people lately getting into the hobby and don't realize the damage they can do when not filling in their holes. congrats :thumbsup02:

Bell-Two
01-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Nice job on cleaning up after someone else made such a mess. Nice counterfeit and what a lovely button that Tombac is.

NJJOSH
01-19-2014, 12:14 AM
Great finds I love the button. Its such a shame that people give metal detecting a bad name. Ive seen that too many times here unfilled holes and trash laying on the ground.

Lodge Scent
01-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Great hunt! Nice looking Hibernia indeed :congrats:

Thiltzy
01-19-2014, 08:25 PM
Dave, the Counterfeit Hibernia looks stellar and that tombac is a beauty. Gratz man

OxShoeDrew
01-20-2014, 07:02 AM
That is one sweet looking Hibernia... and that looks like a show knob! :envious::lol:
Sad to hear about the open holes.

coinnut
01-20-2014, 07:49 AM
Dave, I've been trying to make Dan stop hitting your sites and leave a mess, but he has that "coppers in his eyes" look :lol: so I might not happen. Most people are good about not leaving holes, but there are always a few that are not. Nice finds that day. I have some Hibernias that read 2/3 of what they should and others that read just like a large cent. I'm not sure but I thought they were debased to start with?

The Rebel
01-20-2014, 05:57 PM
WTG Dave on your 1st of the season! Love the finds!

skribnodsister
01-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Nice finds Dave! :thumbsup02: How do you know that's a counterfeit? Not like I would ever find anything like that around here, but just curious???:confused: Pretty cool looking Button also! :congrats:

HEAVYMETALNUT
01-21-2014, 02:10 AM
Nice finds Dave! :thumbsup02: How do you know that's a counterfeit? Not like I would ever find anything like that around here, but just curious???:confused: Pretty cool looking Button also! :congrats:
thanks! well a good copper coin will register up in the 70's-80's VDI this one locked on 31VDI. that's a good indication it's not copper or very little copper in the coin

RobW
01-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Still some great finds........as always:thumbsup01:

Full Metal Digger
01-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Any chance that a high-quality counterfeit like that one is worth more than a real one?