PDA

View Full Version : Found and dug up a Wagon!

KCFindIt
01-21-2014, 11:56 AM
The neighbor tells me that the old roadbed used to go through his pasture, so have at it, he says. Well, since I still feel like a newbie at this, I don't notch out anything, and dig most of what I target. So weeks ago, I got a big hit on something, but didn't have adequate tools to unearth it. So finally, I got to it this weekend past. After 2 days of digging, I finally removed a very old wagon, minus the wheels. It isn't a Red Flyer, but of similar style. There was also an old leather shoe, a small clear bottle that has "Moroline" imprinted in the glass all around it. There was also a Glass Clorox bottle. Now I'm trying to figure out "the story" behind it all. Will try to post pictures soon, if anyone is interested in seeing.

coinnut
01-21-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking it's a dumping area. Usually they dump away from good farm land and just drive it out there and dump it. The bottles should date the time frame for you. Must have been one big hole for that wagon :shocked04:

freemindstuck
01-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Moroline was a brand of vaseline that predates vics. With the glass clorox botttle I'd guess your finds date to the 20's or 30's. Hard to be entirely sure without pictures.

del
01-21-2014, 03:21 PM
yes the time frame sounds close , bottles are relatively easy to date to a decade . can't wait til the pictures.

KCFindIt
01-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Ok, guys, I'm not well versed in computers, so I'm gonna try to post some pictures of the wagon, the bottles and a tray of other relics I've dug up lately. Here goes...

36734 An upside down 5 gal. bucket to give you a size comparison.
36735A Clear bottle with no writing, a dark brown fruit drink bottle, a brown Clorox bottle and a Moroline jar.
36736 This is a tray of a bunch of my digs from nearby properties.

As you can tell, I dig a lot of iron goods, in an effort to get better with my machine and digging/pinpointing skills.
Most of this stuff came from my friend's 400 acre property with lots and lots of woods. Have been told that there was a row of sharecropper's homes, and I'm finding the evidence. I've only found 1 coin amongst this area, and it was a 1952 wheat penny. (I found a 1904 V nickel on the same property earlier in the year, while walking, which is what inspired me to buy the metal detector).

KCFindIt
01-21-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm thinking it's a dumping area. Usually they dump away from good farm land and just drive it out there and dump it. The bottles should date the time frame for you. Must have been one big hole for that wagon :shocked04: The hole was big, since the wagon was positioned on it's side and the handle was extended. I could have buried a small pony in the hole!

OxShoeDrew
01-21-2014, 04:44 PM
I'm having a hard time remembering what those wagon wheels were made of. I seem to recall a hard, solid rubber. Did they rot away? Some nice digging there!

KCFindIt
01-21-2014, 04:59 PM
I'm having a hard time remembering what those wagon wheels were made of. I seem to recall a hard, solid rubber. Did they rot away? Some nice digging there!
I'm wondering if the wagon was victim to a fire? There's no signs of painted surfaces, but I wouldn't know if time spent underground would eat the paint. Also in the bed of the wagon was shards of rusty something (reminded me of a rusty paint bucket, but flattened) (I have them in that green bucket in the photo).

del
01-21-2014, 05:07 PM
great pictures :thumbsup02: the bottles definitely looks around the 20's

freemindstuck
01-21-2014, 05:13 PM
I think the clorox bottle is 1950's and the moroline looks to be of the early eight sided variety and is probably 1930's.

KCFindIt
01-21-2014, 06:07 PM
I think the clorox bottle is 1950's and the moroline looks to be of the early eight sided variety and is probably 1930's. The Moroline jar is the 8 sided variety and from what I've since read, is likely from the 30s.

Thank you to all who have given me their input. It helps!

Digger Don
01-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Digging that wagon shows some major determination.
Great job

KCFindIt
01-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Digging that wagon shows some major determination.
Great job
Thank you, Don. Determination that can only be appreciated by fellow MD enthusiasts. (My girlfriends don't get it!)

freemindstuck
01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Thank you, Don. Determination that can only be appreciated by fellow MD enthusiasts. (My girlfriends don't get it!)
lol, How many girlfriends do you have? I hope they don't read this forum!

Bell-Two
01-23-2014, 08:10 AM
That is so funny...digging the wagon...reminds me of one of my first ever hunts. I had my Ace 250 for just a couple of days, got this banging hit, dug and dug and started to uncover....a vacuum cleaner! Don't you know years later I still get kidded at the club for that! :lolsign:

KCFindIt
01-23-2014, 08:18 AM
lol, How many girlfriends do you have? I hope they don't read this forum!
LOL, too funny. Doubt they would read this forum, since they really "don't get it", when it comes to MDing. But the truth is, I too, am female, so the girlfriends comment wasn't what you were thinking! Sorry.

coinnut
01-23-2014, 08:18 AM
That is so funny...digging the wagon...reminds me of one of my first ever hunts. I had my Ace 250 for just a couple of days, got this banging hit, dug and dug and started to uncover....a vacuum cleaner! Don't you know years later I still get kidded at the club for that! :lolsign:

Congrats on the banner find....I mean how many people on this planet have dug up a vacuum cleaner? :lol: Did you keep it?

Skamaniac
01-23-2014, 09:54 PM
That wagon is so cool! :thumbsup01: You could clean it up, stick a glass top on it, and you've got a display case! OK, maybe not. But still cool!

freemindstuck
01-24-2014, 12:38 AM
I think the wagon might make a good halloween prop. Maybe put a skeleton in it and hang it by fishing string.

KCFindIt
01-24-2014, 07:18 AM
I think the wagon might make a good halloween prop. Maybe put a skeleton in it and hang it by fishing string.
Good idea. My neighbor and (one of) my girlfriends, creates a haloween costume to that kind of tune, each year. She would probably come up with something really scary or gross.

KCFindIt
01-24-2014, 07:19 AM
That wagon is so cool! :thumbsup01: You could clean it up, stick a glass top on it, and you've got a display case! OK, maybe not. But still cool!
Thank you! And indeed a great idea.