PDA

View Full Version : New Vermonter to the forum

BTV Digger
01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Hi all. Excited to join the forum. Been wanting to do so for some time but work and coaching kids sports teams have kept me busy. Ironically picked up the hobby last spring after I bought my younger son a kids Bounty Hunter model for his birthday. He still likes detecting with it, but I got completely hooked after we went to an older site near our home and we pulled out an 1889 Indian with it within 5 minutes of arriving. Ended up getting my own model, started simple - Fisher F2 - but it's already produced some nice older coins/relics. I'll probably upgrade at some point, but I'm a firm believer that with good research and persistence you still can find some good older sites and stuff even with a simpler model. My focus is in central/northern VT and I prefer the older sites (cellar holes/foundations and whatnot), though admittedly it takes some work to find spots NOT on federal/state land. Don't want to anger those pesky archaeologists! Looking forward to being an active member and posting the occasional find. BTV Digger.

chief5709
01-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Welcome!!! I'm west of you across the border!

RobW
01-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Welcome from the South of you. I've made some good finds in VT. While you can still find some good finds with "lesser" models...it all that you are leaving behind that you'd find with better models.

coinnut
01-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Welcome from western MA BTV Digger :clapping: There are some nice coins lurking around them old cellar holes. I am sure you will pull some old coins and relics with your machine. Finding an un-hit site is the real challenge. Congrats on your Indian too.

del
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Hello BTV Digger , welcome to the forum .:waving: Vermont is a great location for detecting tons of colonial history to research and find including French an Indian War and Revolutionary War items . glad you joined up and I'll be very interested to see what you find.

Dan

Skamaniac
01-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Welcome from Washington State :waving: Looking forward to seeing and hearing about some of your finds. I envy the history you've got around there.

aloldstuff
01-24-2014, 02:34 PM
Welcome from western MA. Sounds like you have the addiction. Looking forward to your future posts.

OxShoeDrew
01-24-2014, 03:22 PM
Am I reading that correctly...you can't hunt on state land? Welcome to the group from southern NE.

KennyD
01-24-2014, 03:35 PM
Welcome aboard BTV!

Digger Don
01-24-2014, 05:49 PM
welcome from Northern Illinois

Timewarpdigger
01-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Welcome and good luck. It's great to see that this hobby is something you can share with your son.. Safe & HH

Ronandari
01-24-2014, 10:19 PM
Welcome Bvt digger from Kentucky. Always wanted to visit Vermont. You'll love the forum it is an informative and friendly place.
Best wishes

Ron

Fire Fighter 43
01-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the hobby and forum from SE Wisconsin. It looks like your off to a good start, an Indian on as your first find would get anyone hooked. Good luck this season and happy hunting.

BTV Digger
01-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Great! Maybe we could get together some time in the future.

BTV Digger
01-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Welcome!!! I'm west of you across the border!
Great. Maybe we can get together some time in the future.

BTV Digger
01-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Welcome from the South of you. I've made some good finds in VT. While you can still find some good finds with "lesser" models...it all that you are leaving behind that you'd find with better models.
Completely agree. Definitely wish I had a wad of cash for a better model. Eventually.

BTV Digger
01-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Am I reading that correctly...you can't hunt on state land? Welcome to the group from southern NE.
Well sorta. I should have clarified. No digging in deemed "historical locations" on state land, and no removal of fossils/artifacts. I guess it comes down to what you consider an artifact. I personally don't consider a Mercury Dime an artifact, but the rules are the rules. You can however dig in well-used non-historical portions of state land (i.e. swimming beaches, picnic areas, campground areas). Just a no-no for those cellar holes/old homesites.

BTV Digger
01-27-2014, 08:36 AM
Welcome Bvt digger from Kentucky. Always wanted to visit Vermont. You'll love the forum it is an informative and friendly place.
Best wishes

Ron
Thanks for the welcome Ron.

BTV Digger
01-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Welcome from western MA BTV Digger :clapping: There are some nice coins lurking around them old cellar holes. I am sure you will pull some old coins and relics with your machine. Finding an un-hit site is the real challenge. Congrats on your Indian too.
Thanks much for the welcome. Yes, indeed...a definite challenge to find unpicked sites. Lots of research with old maps/contemporary maps showing where all the public land is etc. That can be tiresome, but I actually find it fun.

chief5709
01-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Great. Maybe we can get together some time in the future.

I'm sure we can work something out. I get up to Starksboro about once a year, not sure if that's close to you.

WBL TH
01-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Welcome from Minnesota!

Greg

BTV Digger
01-29-2014, 12:11 PM
Hello BTV Digger , welcome to the forum .:waving: Vermont is a great location for detecting tons of colonial history to research and find including French an Indian War and Revolutionary War items . glad you joined up and I'll be very interested to see what you find.

Dan

Thanks for the friendly welcome Dan.

Boulder
02-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum from John in NJ... :)