PDA

View Full Version : Old church site Whatsit

BTV Digger
01-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Hi all. Found this at a former 19th century/early 20th century church site (steps and foundation all that's left) last fall and not really sure what it is (see pics). My first guess was some sort of old broach, but it's quite heavy (52 g/0.11 lb) so not sure. It does have small prongs on the back that perhaps connected a pin. It came out of the ground basically looking like the way it looks here. Rang up with 2 tones on my Fisher F2, one in the zinc/dime range (64-71), and another signal off the charts 95-00. Don't think it's silver, though could be silver plating? Just dunno. I also thought it could be some sort of old drawer pull, or maybe some sort of fancy square-shaped rosette from the horse and buggy days. Pics include a wheat penny for size comparison. Any ideas you may have would be helpful. Thanks! BTV Digger :thinkingabout:

Full Metal Digger
01-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Horse Bridle Rosette?

Tony Two-Cent
01-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Horse Bridle Rosette?

That would be my guess as well. :yes:

coinnut
01-29-2014, 01:32 PM
Absolutely :thumbsup01: Nice looking one too. They are lead filled and have a solid bar across the back that usually rusts off. Great find.

BTV Digger
01-29-2014, 04:04 PM
That would be my guess as well. :yes:
Thanks much!

BTV Digger
01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Absolutely :thumbsup01: Nice looking one too. They are lead filled and have a solid bar across the back that usually rusts off. Great find.
Great thanks for the clarification! Lead-filled makes sense since it's quite heavy for it's size. By the way, I assume the lead was what was giving me those medium tones on my F2?

coinnut
01-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Great thanks for the clarification! Lead-filled makes sense since it's quite heavy for it's size. By the way, I assume the lead was what was giving me those medium tones on my F2?

Yeah it's mostly lead with a thin shell usually of brass and probably plated silver. The mid tome is from the lead and whatever is left of the iron dragging your numbers down a bit.