PDA

View Full Version : 1837 Canada Half Penny + Silver

angellionel
05-23-2010, 06:46 PM
This morning I had planned to detect at a park in Central MA, but I got caught up with other things and had to change plans. Instead, at noon I headed to another Connecticut park I had not been to since last September. I felt it would be a relaxing and quiet hunt at that park on a Sunday, and it was.

It was slow going at first, but by the time I called it quits I had five silver dimes in my pouch, several wheat cents, and an 1837 Canada half penny bank token. :happydance01:

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/May/1837canadahalfpenny_052310.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/May/silverdimes_052310.jpg

http://www.angellionel.com/myfinds/2010/May/wheatcents_052310.jpg

HH!

coinnut
05-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Hey Them Canadians have to stop throwing their money at Connecticut :lol: That's the second token you found and another good one. It just shows you how scarce change was back then and how far it would travel and be accepted. Nice hunt.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-24-2010, 07:30 AM
geez angel...how many silvers now? you and that e-trac are like one.

angellionel
05-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey Them Canadians have to stop throwing their money at Connecticut lol That's the second token you found and another good one. It just shows you how scarce change was back then and how far it would travel and be accepted. Nice hunt.

:lol: They sure do look good coming out of the ground too. :grin:

geez angel...how many silvers now? you and that e-trac are like one.

The current count is 364. Now I need to switch to shallow water detecting. :cheesysmile:

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-25-2010, 05:04 AM
i wouldn't switch to nothing else except what you are doing.you are gonna jinx yourself :behave:

tanacat
05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Now I need to switch to shallow water detecting. :cheesysmile:

So what is your total count now on shallow water rings? :lol:

angellionel
05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
So what is your total count now on shallow water rings? :lol:

This year? :cheesysmile: Zero. :lol:

I haven't done much shallow water detecting in the last 2 1/2 years, though I am hoping to get back to it this year. I love being in the water up to my neck while carrying a seven pound stainless steel scoop and a heavy detector as I search for old gold and silver. :cheesysmile: :lol:

Honestly, though, it really is a fun part of the hobby. :yes:

tanacat
05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
a seven pound stainless steel scoop and a heavy detector as I search for old gold and silver. :cheesysmile: :lol:

Honestly, though, it really is a fun part of the hobby. :yes:

What detector do you use. I wonder how waterproof my XLT really is... supposedly I've got 2 or 3 feet to play with. I know of a few old swimming holes around here.
Is there a shallow water hunting section here? :huh:

angellionel
05-25-2010, 08:15 PM
What detector do you use. I wonder how waterproof my XLT really is... supposedly I've got 2 or 3 feet to play with. I know of a few old swimming holes around here.
Is there a shallow water hunting section here? :huh:

I use a Minelab Excalibur 1000 when working ponds and lakes, and a Whites Dual Field PI when working the saltwater beaches. They are both waterproof so they can be completely submerged. :)

We do have a shallow water detecting section - Beaches, Ponds, and Lakes. :yes: