PDA

View Full Version : some electrolysis on a few iron relics

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-03-2014, 10:39 AM
I have a 5 gallon bucket of some relics that I have been saving.finally made the effort to go buy a used battery charger up at the pawn shop and get some done.
below are the results.I'm no pro at this just a beginner but,I think they came out ok.

Skamaniac
02-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Looks good! I made one last year but I made it too big I think. I'm going to make a smaller one for smaller items. The old battery chargers definitely work better than the new ones with all the electronic safety features. How long was the active bath for each of the items?

RobW
02-03-2014, 03:31 PM
:shocked03:...That's a big difference. They look great! Are you going to coat them in anything to keep them from rusting up again? If so, what?
I'd love to give that a try, but me and electricity don't match up:mad::mad:

freemindstuck
02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Pretty neat! Did you uncover any makers marks?

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-03-2014, 04:14 PM
thanks! i coated them with WD-40 wiped em down then clear polyurethane.hope they hold up!

del
02-03-2014, 04:52 PM
not a bad Job Dave , I can mail you all my iron to do up :yes:

I'd love to give that a try, but me and electricity don't match up:mad::mad:

I thought it was just you and cameras ;)

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-03-2014, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=del;155479]not a bad Job Dave , I can mail you all my iron to do up :yes:

should i be looking for a 40 foot trailer truck to be pulling up?

Lodge Scent
02-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Nice work! I need to move up from my current phone charger system to something like that.

coinnut
02-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Did you enjoy the fumes?:lol: I hope you weren't cooped up with them while cleaning them. I hear that hydrogen, as well as chromium gas is produced. Here is a short video on it. Nice to see the artifacts cleaned up a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7gsqyL35xA

RobW
02-04-2014, 09:25 AM
I thought it was just you and cameras ;)

No, it's just me and EVERYTHING that's electrical/electronic....:lol:

del
02-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Did you enjoy the fumes?:lol: I hope you weren't cooped up with them while cleaning them. I hear that hydrogen, as well as chromium gas is produced. Here is a short video on it. Nice to see the artifacts cleaned up a bit.

I've seen just as good results with Apple cider vinegar maybe a perfect way for Rob because of the lack of electricity involved. I'm gonna try out that method as well on some of the iron i have collected.

Bell-Two
02-04-2014, 09:53 AM
I've seen just as good results with Apple cider vinegar maybe a perfect way for Rob because of the lack of electricity involved. I'm gonna try out that method as well on some of the iron i have collected.

I tried the vinegar approach and thoughts the results were only so so, I guess I am impatient for the vinegar takes a long time to work. A friend did some pieces for me with his battery charger setup and they came out great. Harbor Freight has some chargers fairly cheap $29 this month I may pick one up.

del
02-04-2014, 10:45 AM
I tried the vinegar approach and thoughts the results were only so so, I guess I am impatient for the vinegar takes a long time to work. A friend did some pieces for me with his battery charger setup and they came out great. Harbor Freight has some chargers fairly cheap $29 this month I may pick one up.

was it Apple cider vinegar Tony ??

giant056
02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
You're right to mention the apple cider vinegar del, it makes all the difference, I've been using it with fantastic results, it will take corrosion off any metal and quite fast too.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-05-2014, 11:22 AM

nah it's in a back room in back of my apt building

RobW
02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
nah it's in a back room in back of my apt building

:lol:...glad you aren't one of my tenants!

What are you using on the positive side?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Bell-Two
02-06-2014, 10:27 PM
was it Apple cider vinegar Tony ??

Yes Apple Cider vinegar, I probably needed to let them soak longer I think I gave them two weeks. A couple of nice Ax Heads. I have a bunch of other stuff too.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-08-2014, 10:03 AM
:lol:...glad you aren't one of my tenants!

What are you using on the positive side?:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:
im using a stainless steel plate

Thiltzy
02-08-2014, 11:57 AM
Just noticed this post. Dave the relics came out awesome. You did a great job. I would love to do some on my iron relics but a just despise the clean up mess after. I usually only do small electrolysis set ups for silver that I dig from the ocean.

samsteele
02-14-2014, 01:05 AM
What did you use for the electrolyte?

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-14-2014, 11:21 AM
What did you use for the electrolyte?
arm & hammer washing soda

BTV Digger
02-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Very nice results. Looking forward to doing similar on some of my finds this coming year. Challenge will be find some extra space in the garage!

BTV Digger

fsa46
02-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Dave, Did you receive my PM ?