PDA

View Full Version : Found my first Franklin Half today!

tanacat
05-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I've been hitting this place quite often over the past 8 months, because it's right around the corner from my house- very convenient for a quick fix lol It's been on the market forever @ 1.3 million for 1800 house and 3 1/2 acres. I love hunting uninhabited houses, don't have to worry about the owners worrying about their perfect lawns. Anyway, I finally found some 'real' silver, Franklin Half, there today! :happydance01: (I found a '43 S silver war nickel there earlier this year along with about 5 or 6 wheats and of course buttons, buckles and bullets- the 3 Bs we all love to find and collect :))

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6980.jpg

I was getting ready to leave disappointed with nothing to show for my hour of swinging & literally my LAST swing right next to my car ---- BAM! :yes: 90+ just singing away, no doubt about it... It was only 3 maybe 4 down, laying flat and right against the edge of the blacktop! This is my first half and feels so good!!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6981.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6985.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6993.jpg

Everything I've found there so far & not giving up! The large object I'm getting ready to post in 'What is it' section with more pics -it's shaped kinda odd. I'm thinking some kind of hoe/farming implement

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t135/frogtopia/101_6995.jpg

Epi-hunter
05-24-2010, 03:37 PM
VERY nice Tana! Beautiful half! Congratulations on your first! I'll bet you did the dance :happydance01:

tanacat
05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks Angie! You need to go out to this place with me... and it's right next to a great place where I haven't found anything good yet- maybe you will!

Oh man A little bit ago my 2 yr old, Logan, got a hold of my half and hid it somewhere! :ticked: We were looking everywhere- he said he couldn't remember where he put it. I finally found it in his little toy cash register rofl

z118
05-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Sweet dig! Does anyone bug you while you hunt there? There's an empty for sale farmhouse near me that I've wanted to hunt badly but I just don't have the nerve.

tanacat
05-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Sweet dig! Does anyone bug you while you hunt there? There's an empty for sale farmhouse near me that I've wanted to hunt badly but I just don't have the nerve.

I got permission from owners 8 months ago and haven't seen them once. Funny you ask, lately people are stopping by to look at the house/land & end up watching me dig, asking me a thousand questions (keeping me from my hunting :angry:) This lady yesterday was so nice, she was absolutely enthralled by the idea of MD'ing and wants to buy a detector now. She said if she buys the house, I can come back and hunt ANYTIME :yes:

Does that old farm house have for sale sign w/phone # on it? The worse that can happen is they say $#% NO! I hate it when that happens, not often, but usually the 'NO' comes with liability issues. I like asking over phone better than in person.

Good luck hunting there- go for it!! I want to see what you find lol I love this forum :smitten:

yazoo
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Nice Job ,Some nice finds. Yazoo

coinnut
05-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Hey Tana, Nice half and congrats on your first :yes: I don't have a Franklin yet. But it is real nice seeing a huge silver coin staring at you from the bottom of the hole lol Kinda makes you giddy!

angellionel
05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Silver that big sure looks pretty coming out of the ground, doesn't it. :yes: Surprisingly enough, we don't see many of those Franklin half dollars posted often. That is a really sweet find. Congrats!

hobbes_lives
05-24-2010, 08:26 PM
I've yet to find a half. Nice going!

Hook
05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
You could have saved a LOT of walking before finding that sweet half, if you'd started by the tire shown in the picture lol. It sure is great to see silver shine in the hole isnt it? big congrats !! :)

Ill Digger
05-24-2010, 09:04 PM
:happydance01: :happydance01: I can see you dancin' already :shocked04: :happydance01:
Good for you!!
Yeah.... ol'Benny's on my hit list too :beatdown:
Big CONGRATS to ya thumbsup01 :grin:

Only 1.3 mill :huh: Thats it ??........ lol.... I wish ....rofl

tanacat
05-24-2010, 09:21 PM
You could have saved a LOT of walking before finding that sweet half, if you'd started by the tire shown in the picture lol.

Yeah really! No kidding, it was my very last swing before I was going to put my detector in the car. Because my 2 yr old was in the car (doors open, in the shade :yes:) saying my movie is over mommy, let's go eat lol He's such a good sport & usually likes to help me dig.

Only 1.3 mill :huh: Thats it ??........ lol.... I wish ....rofl

Very valuable land in horse country, prime shopping mall location, unfortunately. I hope somebody buys it to live & breed horses, so I can keep driving past and enjoy the aesthetically pleasing view :yes:

Ill Digger
05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Very valuable land in horse country, prime shopping mall location, unfortunately. I hope somebody buys it to live & breed horses, so I can keep driving past and enjoy the aesthetically pleasing view :yes:

For your sake I hope so too thumbsup01
I know how depressing urban sprawl is :( :crying02:

Epi-hunter
05-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey Tana, I love the avatar! Is that the Derby hat? :)

tanacat
05-24-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey Tana, Nice half and congrats on your first :yes: I don't have a Franklin yet. But it is real nice seeing a huge silver coin staring at you from the bottom of the hole lol Kinda makes you giddy!

Giddy is the word! And I thought I got giddy from finding a new Hot Wheel for my collection rofl

tanacat
05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Hey Tana, I love the avatar! Is that the Derby hat? :)

lol No actually it's my Tana Cat Sunflower grassroots music festival straw hat! You should see my step-mom's hats, she is a hard core Ky Derby queen and goes all out on the big hats!

handyman
05-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Good job Tana, Looks like that one almost got covered with blacktop. Keep hunting that place there should be more somewhere. thumbsup01

tanacat
05-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Nice Job ,Some nice finds. Yazoo

Oh thanks for your XLT programming advice the other day, I got amp gain up to 10 with several more depth. like you said --- 9 I'd give you credit for this half if it hadn't been but just a few inches deep lol

tanacat
05-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Good job Tana, Looks like that one almost got covered with blacktop. Keep hunting that place there should be more somewhere. thumbsup01

Thanks! Join me there again- the 2 acres of field were mowed fairly recently. lol at least not 2 ft high like it was

Btw, I think there's a silver dollar at far corner under the blacktop, towards where you were hunting. I think I'll dig down and around under, worth a try! Do you remember it? You checked it out with your V3- I can't remember what you said about it.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-25-2010, 05:02 AM
sweet! nice franklin! and don't let coinnut fool ya..he's always giddy even with a big silver staring at him from a dark dirty hole :happydance01:

CTDirtFisher
05-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Tanacat... I know your heart was a thumping and there was a huge grin on your face :-)

You go gurl!

Paul

tanacat
05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Tanacat... I know your heart was a thumping and there was a huge grin on your face :-)

You go gurl!

Paul

You know it! Headed back there now for a little lunchtime hunting lol

and don't let coinnut fool ya..he's always giddy even with a big silver staring at him from a dark dirty hole :happydance01:

Poor George... everyone's always picking on him :poke: :bop: :poke: Does he deserve it :huh:

There's a saying you reap what you sow right? lol

Epi-hunter
05-25-2010, 10:35 AM
You know it! Headed back there now for a little lunchtime hunting lol

Don't let the escaped federal inmate get you! :shocked04: Do you believe they let ANOTHER one escape this morning?!? The schools are on lockdown AGAIN! :bangahead01: What a bunch of Keystone Kops!! :bangahead01:

Hope you find more silver. There has to be more there!

tanacat
05-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Don't let the escaped federal inmate get you! :shocked04: Do you believe they let ANOTHER one escape this morning?!? The schools are on lockdown AGAIN! :bangahead01: What a bunch of Keystone Kops!! :bangahead01:

Hope you find more silver. There has to be more there!

OMG no I haven't heard about it- there in your town or mine? Thanks I'll keep an eye out and def not leave my keys in my car... and practice up on my karate. And take my mace and a baseball bat too :behave:

coinnut
05-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Poor George... everyone's always picking on him :poke: :bop: :poke: Does he deserve it :huh:

There's a saying you reap what you sow right? lol

He can take it lol And to think I've been holding back rofl And that saying works both ways :thinkingabout: :poke:

tanacat
05-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Well, no silver there today but I did find about 8 lbs of thick old copper pipe in the side yard! About 20 feets worth- fun, fun, fun...
8 lbs X $3.10 = $24.80 not too bad a day lol

coinnut
05-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Id take that lol 20 bucks is 20 bucks :yes: It takes a lot of clad to make $24.80 ;)

tanacat
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM
Id take that lol 20 bucks is 20 bucks :yes: It takes a lot of clad to make $24.80 ;)

That's right! And it only took me about 10 minutes to pull up and repair the lawn :yes: I felt kinda guilty and drove my car by the house to hide what I was doing from the neighbor. lol you know how people are stealing copper from people's houses! It was definately an old useless line going to an antique spicket... but they may not of known that and called the cops
on me :huh:

incomenet
05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Great hunting site! Congrats on the silver. :happydance01:

tanacat
05-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Great hunting site! Congrats on the silver. :happydance01:

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing posts of your finds. That's what I like about this place, we can live through eachother's success when we aren't able to get out (or find much lol)