PDA

View Full Version : Week's worth of digs

z118
05-24-2010, 04:07 PM
I've pretty much put the idea of nice old silver coins out of my mind and turned my focus back to my forte... plain old clad. It's just so easy, and the likelihood of NOT finding clad is much less than the likelihood of not finding silver. I don't like coming home skunked, so I'll dig what I can find!

So here's a week of digs... two nice evening hunts (Tuesday & Thursday) and then some good hunts on Saturday and Sunday. Total of 390 coins worth $31.76, which includes two wheats and a very nice 1940 nickel that turned up in a tot lot. I also scored some good silver jewelery - an earing missing a stone, a heavy bracelet, a fat ring with a pink stone (I would guess CZ), and an odd religious hockey medal. I did a lot of digging it all hoping for gold. Not luck there, but it did result in 5 junk rings. Oddly enough the silver bracelet rang up like junk too - well below zinc penny and with no hint of the usual warble that silver gives on the Sov. You just never know!

One other notable find was an old Cub Scout pendant - humorous to me because of the out dated oath where the kid must pledge to be square. Apparently they changed that in 1972.

Lots of other trinkets and junk too, as per usual. I'd really like to pull some gold but I won't complain about the finds I'm making at all!

Happy Hunting!

tanacat
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Wow you really did well this week! Great silver jewelry, wonder what the weight/worth of the bracelet is? Fantastic amount of clad- takes me several months to get that much! Good luck with the gold hunting.

Oh yeah, that is funny about the 'pledge to be square' lol and the timing of when it was changed

Epi-hunter
05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Nice haul Z! That is a really nice silver ring and bracelet too.

z118
05-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow you really did well this week! Great silver jewelry, wonder what the weight/worth of the bracelet is?

Thanks! The bracelet weighs 13 grams... so maybe 5 or 6 bucks silver value. All 4 silver items together came in at 22 grams.

angellionel
05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Wow! I can feel my knees hurting just by looking at all that loot you dug up. lol That is a very nice haul. I love the silver jewelry too. thumbsup01

coinnut
05-24-2010, 08:05 PM
Nice haul. I do like the CZ ring. It almost looks like it should be gold. It does have some writing in it, but it ain't a K value is it? lol Some good items, even if there was no coin silver, there was plenty of .925 silver!! Worth every aching muscle lol

z118
05-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Wow! I can feel my knees hurting just by looking at all that loot you dug up. lol That is a very nice haul. I love the silver jewelry too. thumbsup01

Thanks Angel. My knees did not feel good yesterday. Today just my hands hurt. I am developing some wicked calluses.

Nice haul. I do like the CZ ring. It almost looks like it should be gold. It does have some writing in it, but it ain't a K value is it?

It says 14KT and then something I can't really make out. There's no way it's gold though... maybe next time!

hobbes_lives
05-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Nice digs Z, that's quite a haul!

Hook
05-24-2010, 08:30 PM
wow Zman...thats a good haul of loot there..lots of clad and some jewelry to boot. beats anything i've been able to do here in this town so far. these parks are really stingy with clad..and its almost laughable on the absence of jewelry in the parks and /or tot lots. good job !! HH

tanacat
05-24-2010, 10:14 PM
It says 14KT and then something I can't really make out. There's no way it's gold though... maybe next time!

umm maybe 14 KT goldplated :huh: rofl

Seriously that's too bad, I know you've been on the hunt for some gold...