PDA

View Full Version : New metal detector

altereddezignz
02-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and this is my first post. My dad won a 5000$ gift card to bass pro and he gave it to me on my birthday. WAHOOO.. Well i am not much of a hunter but i do a lot of photography. I was going to buy a new long zoom spotting scope but i already have one of those. I cant seem to find anything to buy. I was in Bass pro yesterday and realized they sell metal detectors. Well i have a coin master pro that i purchased on my last trip to Florida and used it at the beach. I really enjoy using it but around that water when i got close it would freak out b/c of the salt. Back home in Arkansas i have no issues using it but i want a new upgraded model.

Now i do not want to spend 5K on a detector but i really would like a good one but to be honest i do not know enough about them to make the decision myself so i am looking for help. I plan to go back to Florida and to the Bahamas this summer and would like to take it along with me but i am not dead set on using it on the waters edge just at the beach's for sure.
We have alot of parks, wooded trails and so on around here that i can hunt.

I do not want to spend all of the 5K on a detector since it is not something i would use everyday. Normally just weekend thing and when we go on trips that i can take it along.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Here is a link to bass pro metal detectors.
http://www.basspro.com/Outdoor-Recre...rs/_/N-1z0usq0 (http://www.basspro.com/Outdoor-Recreation-Prospecting-Metal-Detectors/_/N-1z0usq0)

SHIMMER77502
02-06-2014, 01:08 PM
My suggested machine isn't on the Bass website - the Garrett AT Pro. It is a good, all-round machine. Runs about $600-$650. It is waterproof too. There are lots of good machines listed though. Some stores sell gift cards to other establishments. Could you buy a Visa or MasterCard gift card at Bass and go buy a machine elsewhere?

Good luck with whatever you select and Happy Hunting!

altereddezignz
02-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Hmm i will have to check that out. Never really thought about it to be honest.

coinnut
02-06-2014, 02:28 PM
I've had great luck with Minelabs. I would buy the E Trac or the Safari. I have used the E trac for years will excellent results. It is a great park machine if you are coin hunting, and a very good relic machine. Just my thoughts on it.

OxShoeDrew
02-06-2014, 04:47 PM
I've used four First Texas machines and one Garrett machine...so take the following with a grain of salt.
If I had 5 grand burning a hole in my pocket and was slightly stronger I'd buy the Safari before the other machines on your list. As a beginner you'd appreciate its user friendliness (as opposed to the etrac), and I've seen tons of anecdotal evidence that it's just a great machine. My T2 special edition is on that list but , for some reason, is overpriced at $999. The Safari isn't overpriced at the same price.
People will correct me if I'm wrong. They always do :lol:

altereddezignz
02-06-2014, 08:55 PM
My suggested machine isn't on the Bass website - the Garrett AT Pro. It is a good, all-round machine. Runs about $600-$650. It is waterproof too. There are lots of good machines listed though. Some stores sell gift cards to other establishments. Could you buy a Visa or MasterCard gift card at Bass and go buy a machine elsewhere?

Good luck with whatever you select and Happy Hunting!

CAlled today to ask about using the card elsewhere. Well i can use it anywhere that MasterCard is accepted. its like a refillable credit card.

Lowjiber
02-07-2014, 06:28 AM
CAlled today to ask about using the card elsewhere. Well i can use it anywhere that MasterCard is accepted. its like a refillable credit card.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a nice gift and lots of shops take MC. :)

altereddezignz
02-07-2014, 09:50 AM
I actually did a lot of reading about the xp dues last night. And it has be VERY interested.

coinnut
02-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Whatever brand you choose, just remember it takes a while to "click" with a machine. Once you do, you won't want to try anything else :lol:

giant056
02-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the forum and a big congrats on the fantastic present :thumbsup01:

Boulder
02-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum from John in NJ... :)