PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a good button ID source

BTV Digger
02-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Hey folks,

Looking for a good source of reference to help identify old flat buttons. New to the hobby and found a few last fall but would like to get a rough idea of their period of use. Any ideas?...a book, website, etc. Thanks in advance for any help out there.

BTV Digger( a.k.a. snowed in up in northern VT)

Tony Two-Cent
02-14-2014, 03:27 PM
There is a stickied thread at the top of the "Relics" section of the forum that contains many resources on the internet for identifying old buttons.

Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?759-Ye-olde-Relic-Hunters-Resource-Guide

Hope this helps! :thumbsup01:

del
02-14-2014, 04:15 PM
BTV Digger( a.k.a. snowed in up in northern VT)

Boy do i know the feeling after last night :lol:

Tony is right , the reference page that i compiled has a good many links to useful stuff and will help with some of your buttons . Unfortunately some of the flat buttons have no maker's mark and only quality marks on them , phrases like Standard colour , double or treble gilt , extra strong , imperial orange are just a few . Most books tailor to the more desirable types of buttons like military , patriotic and campaign or inaugural buttons . Some of these books i can recommend .

Military buttons of the American Revolution by Don Troiani
Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert
also Warren Tice has a couple of good books as well.

If your not sure about some of your buttons I encourage you to post them in the whats it section of the forum and we can give you a pretty accurate time frame for them .

Dan

BTV Digger
02-15-2014, 02:02 PM
There is a stickied thread at the top of the "Relics" section of the forum that contains many resources on the internet for identifying old buttons.

Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/showthread.php?759-Ye-olde-Relic-Hunters-Resource-Guide

Hope this helps! :thumbsup01:

Excellent. Thanks for the link.

BTV Digger
02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
Boy do i know the feeling after last night :lol:

Tony is right , the reference page that i compiled has a good many links to useful stuff and will help with some of your buttons . Unfortunately some of the flat buttons have no maker's mark and only quality marks on them , phrases like Standard colour , double or treble gilt , extra strong , imperial orange are just a few . Most books tailor to the more desirable types of buttons like military , patriotic and campaign or inaugural buttons . Some of these books i can recommend .

Military buttons of the American Revolution by Don Troiani
Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons by Alphaeus H. Albert
also Warren Tice has a couple of good books as well.

If your not sure about some of your buttons I encourage you to post them in the whats it section of the forum and we can give you a pretty accurate time frame for them .

Dan

Great, thanks Dan. Will be sure to check out those sources. Yeah, a few of them have absolutely no marks, but are one piece with intact shanks...definitely older. I'm in the process of making an album to post of some of my finds from last fall and may query a your expertise on the button(s) as well. Those sources look quite good though so hopefully they'll help me out.

BTV Digger