PDA

View Full Version : Whites Officially Announced The Bullseye TRX Pinpointer

CyberSage
02-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Link On White's Website... Available on 2/20/14

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/bullseye-trx-pinpointer

OxShoeDrew
02-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the info Jack. Does anyone know if it's waterproof?

coinnut
02-15-2014, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure they call it water proof but it looks like it is sealed that same way as Dan's pinpointer is.

The Rebel
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the update Jack.

I'm always hesitant to buy anything new to hit the market before any bugs are fixed (like buying a new model car).

del
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
not bad , I was only off on the price by $20 dollars

coinnut
02-15-2014, 09:24 PM
Is that list price or dealer selling price?

giant056
02-16-2014, 04:35 AM
Coinnut I'm sure that's the MSRP but there'll be better deals on it at your dealer I'm sure. I'll be getting one only because I have an accessory coupon otherwise it would be way too pricey for me on my present income to afford that much for just a pinpointer.

Lowjiber
02-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info, Jack.

Keeping the "Bullseye" name was not a stroke of marketing genius. Too many "old guys" remember the original one. :)

CyberSage
02-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the info Jack. Does anyone know if it's waterproof?

The prototype that I worked was in fact waterproof. A thin membrane covered the speaker opening to allow for this. This membrane did make it waterproof. I dunked mine underwater for 30 minutes. It still worked great afterwards. Unfortunately this membrane also quieted the speaker to the point that it was hard to hear if there was any background noise happening. The final version has the membrane removed to increase volume, so it is no longer waterproof. Since the shell is user interchangeable I suggested that they sell both versions of the shell. I think it would be easy to waterproof it yourself if you had a mind to. One screw is all it takes to remove the shell. You can see the speaker membrane just to the right of the button.

A size comparrison wit the Garrett Pro Pointer. (note the TRX did nor have the orange cap yet)...

The Rebel
02-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Thanks Jack for the update.

How does it compare to the PP for picking up targets in the ground. Usually my PP goes about 4".

Does the sound/vibration get louder/more vibration as you get nearer the target?

Thanks in Advance,
Roger

CyberSage
02-16-2014, 09:40 PM
On average I would say that there is about a 20 to 25 percent increase in depth. Using the nickle trick on the Pro Pointer brought it within 7 to 12 percent of the TRX. The differential in range reflects lower conductivity verses higher conductivity targets. Both pinpointers operate at 12kHz, so lower conductivity targets will get a better response at increased distance.

The response of the TRX is subject to proximity (sound/vibration) just like the Pro Pointer.

Whites has also isolated the the response field of the TRX to the tip of the probe. I was able to zero in on buried targets with much more precision.

coinnut
02-16-2014, 09:49 PM
Not waterproof? I'm out.:lol: If it were I would have bought one.

CyberSage
02-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Not waterproof? I'm out.:lol: If it were I would have bought one.

What? Are those cellar holes filling up with water now-days? :lol:

coinnut
02-16-2014, 10:16 PM

:lol: maybe. Some of the sites we hunted last year involved being in the river, and trudging through swamps. :shocked04: More of that this year, as well as probably some snow hunting soon. Hey, gotta keep up with the times :dontknow:

CyberSage
02-16-2014, 11:02 PM
Dang! You gotta stop following Del around on his hunts. :lol:

giant056
02-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the info, Jack.

Keeping the "Bullseye" name was not a stroke of marketing genius. Too many "old guys" remember the original one. :)
I agree with that wholeheartedly Lowjiber

The Rebel
02-17-2014, 08:16 PM
On average I would say that there is about a 20 to 25 percent increase in depth. Using the nickle trick on the Pro Pointer brought it within 7 to 12 percent of the TRX. The differential in range reflects lower conductivity verses higher conductivity targets. Both pinpointers operate at 12kHz, so lower conductivity targets will get a better response at increased distance.

The response of the TRX is subject to proximity (sound/vibration) just like the Pro Pointer.

Whites has also isolated the the response field of the TRX to the tip of the probe. I was able to zero in on buried targets with much more precision.

Thanks Jack!

The Rebel
02-17-2014, 08:18 PM

When all this snow melts I might need to bring a portable sump pump with me out in the woods :yes::grin:

Carl
02-18-2014, 10:53 AM

Your not the only one who thinks that... it's one of many battles I lost.

del
02-18-2014, 04:01 PM

"battles" ... hmmmm , your free to speak openly here on this forum Carl .;)

CyberSage
02-18-2014, 10:26 PM

I actually called my old Bullseye II pinpointer by another name most of the time. :lol: So no big deal as long as it works as well as it does.

Hello Carl. Thanks for stopping in. I think a lot of folks will be very happy with the improved functionality of the TRX. I know that my Pro Pointer will sit on the shelf, and collect dust as my backup from now on. I was very happy with the performance of the prototype. Very anxious to get my hands on the finished product.

CyberSage
02-19-2014, 09:21 PM
The TRX Manual is posted at whites now...

http://www.whiteselectronics.com/media/downloadable/files/samples/t/r/trx_manual_web.pdf

The official price is $159.

HEAVYMETALNUT
02-22-2014, 10:52 AM
I just ordered one with one of my certificates will let you know when i receive how it is

CyberSage
02-22-2014, 01:00 PM
I just ordered one with one of my certificates will let you know when i receive how it is

Yes, We would definately like to have your take on this new pinpointer Dave. Thank you!

midas
02-25-2014, 10:48 AM
Have a couple on order. Will give a review when they come in. No matter how good it is, NOTHING can compare to the inline Sunray probes with their disc and ID readings.

giant056
02-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Mine is on order also, I rarely used my bullseye II cause it was more frustrating than anthing else, I've used another persons Garrett before and they are nice and from what I've read about it being better than the Garrett I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

midas
02-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Received the TRX yesterday. I can't field test it as there is 18 inches of snow pack, frozen everywhere.
Air tests for depth - clad quarter - 4.5 inches, silver quarter - 5 inches, clad dime - 3.5 inches, silver dime - 4 inches, nickel - 4 inches, half dime - 3.5 inches. size 10 14K gold ring - 5 inches.
Pros- *well built, *nice feel in hand, *easy to push button does not need to be constantly pressed, *great depth, *loud sound indoors, *decent vibrate, *does not interfere with detector (except if your detector operates at 12Khz), *available ratchet pinpointing.
Cons- *LED light is only for illumination, does not indicate target. *Sound outdoors with headphones on and typical outdoor background noise is barely audible, *Vibrate with leather digging gloves on is very subtle. *does not discriminate, likes iron as well as good targets.

Most of the cons listed are not only indicative to the TRX, but are inherent in all hand held probes, except the inlines.

SeabeeRon
02-26-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for all the info on this Jack!! As you know there are many threads on many forums about this new tool for us crazy detector swingers! This one has been by far the most informative! Wondering, does the "signal" emit directly straight of the tip at the diameter of the tip of does it cone out at all? Hope you understand what I am trying to ask! :shocked02:

midas
02-26-2014, 03:55 PM
The signal cones out. detects around the tip and also the handle area. See diagram. As a bonus, it will also detect rocks!!! No kidding.

CyberSage
02-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Great visual Midas! Thanks

CyberSage
02-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks for all the info on this Jack!! As you know there are many threads on many forums about this new tool for us crazy detector swingers! This one has been by far the most informative! Wondering, does the "signal" emit directly straight of the tip at the diameter of the tip of does it cone out at all? Hope you understand what I am trying to ask! :shocked02:

Your welcome Ron. There is a lot of information out there, and within a week we will be seeing lot's of reviews. Should prove to be interesting. The isolation of the detection areas would seem to indicate a difference in how the coil is wrapped on the TRX. That is hidden in the internal composite shroud however, so you can't really see it. A good question?

SeabeeRon
02-27-2014, 12:38 PM
That detection zone up near the handle surprised me! Looking forward to reading more!

coinnut
02-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Wondering if that could be a problem with wearing a ring or watch or even having a coat with metal cuff buttons?

SeabeeRon
02-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Wondering if that could be a problem with wearing a ring or watch or even having a coat with metal cuff buttons?

Great minds think alike, I had similar questions! ;):grin:

CyberSage
02-27-2014, 07:48 PM

or in your case handcuffs... :lol:

coinnut
02-27-2014, 08:13 PM
or in your case handcuffs... :lol:

No, I have a key for those :lol:

del
02-27-2014, 08:21 PM
No, I have a key for those :lol:

Its true Jack its a coveted item like his "colonial spam key" :lol::rofl:

coinnut
02-27-2014, 08:24 PM
Its true Jack its a coveted item like his "colonial spam key" :lol::rofl:

I love that thing :smitten:I see you woke up from you day long nap? :eyebrow: :hystericallaugh:

del
02-27-2014, 08:36 PM
I love that thing :smitten:I see you woke up from you day long nap? :eyebrow: :hystericallaugh:

Third shift is a rotten work schedule my friend :tongue:

CyberSage
02-28-2014, 11:50 PM
I just got word that my release version of the TRX should arrive next week. I will shoot some video on some basic ranges on various coins for reference.

giant056
03-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Whites cashed my check on the 24th of February but they still haven't shipped my pinpointer :bangshead01: I wonder whats up with that.

coinnut
03-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Whites cashed my check on the 24th of February but they still haven't shipped my pinpointer :bangshead01: I wonder whats up with that.

I believe they are sending it to me instead :lol: I could be the site hasn't updated. Any new release can be slow.

SeabeeRon
03-01-2014, 11:47 AM
I just got word that my release version of the TRX should arrive next week. I will shoot some video on some basic ranges on various coins for reference.

Awesome!! This can be a new chapter in the Book of Jack!! :cool:

CyberSage
03-03-2014, 05:54 PM
OK. The TRX arrived today!

I will get busy, and get some targets tested, and report back. It turned out real nice. The final texturing on the unit is nice, and the loudness is greatly improved.

CyberSage
03-03-2014, 07:04 PM
This was shared on the White's Forum today. This is actually a post from another forum, and shares information on three of the undocumented features of the TRX. This leaked out sooner than I thought it would. These are all great features, and shows a genuine interest in functionality by White's Engineering Team.

There is a sensitivity control on the TRX. Here are the general settings for sensitivity - the default is 3. Intended to be about 3.5". Sensitivity 1 = Bullseye II depth (about 1"), sensitivity 2 = Garrett ProPointer depth (about 2"), sensitivity 4 = around 4-4.5" - and it is likely to false on this setting, but some areas may be able to use it. It's not in the manual obviously. But here is how to get there:
First option:
1) Go into config (press and hold the button through the power down beep until you get to the taDAH beep for config).
2) Release and repress the button. Hold the button for 5 seconds. The indicators will indicate your sensitivity setting. The first set of beeps will indicate your current sensitivity setting (you should hear 3 beeps for the default sensitivity being 3). The next set of beeps will be the next one (4 beeps for sens 4), the next will be the next one (wrap around to 1 beep for sens 1). Release the button at the sensitivity level you want to be at. Might help you out in the tot lots.

-OR-

Control Priority:

If you find yourself wanting to change sensitivity more than once and you want it on the "main menu" without that 5 second delay, there is a test mode which all it does is move the "menus" around.
1) Go to config mode
2) Release the button and then press and release 3 times.
3) Wait for config exit - you should get a dadadaDAH jingle.
Now your menus are switched around unless you do a factory reset (more later)
4) Go to config mode
5) Keep holding the button down - the sensitivity is the first menu rather than the indicators. release the button when you get to the sensitivity you want.

In this mode, the first menu is sensitivity. 2nd menu (release button after config and press and hold) is the indicator adjust. 3rd menu (release button after config, press and release once and press and hold) is audio adjust. This adjusts the frequency of your audio - so if you hear a lower frequency better than the one that the pinpointer is set to, you can find one that might be better. It has a very limited range, so it's possible that there won't be any difference.

Factory Reset:

If you want to put it back to the menu system that it came with, you can do a factory reset. This will reset everything - except the audio frequency - back to how it came from the factory. Go to config, release and press the button 6 times.

SeabeeRon
03-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Awesome Jack, this is the stuff we're all looking for!!

CyberSage
03-05-2014, 08:27 PM
I was setting up to do some comparison testing with the release version of the TRX, and thought I would search YouTube for anyone else that had done this already. Well, I found this little video that just about sums it up. This was done with a small silver target (ring). Anything lower in conductivity is just going to exaggerate the improved depth of the Whites TRX, so I think this is really all we need to see. I would like to see it up against the inline probe at some point though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTJZdt2giE

Ole # 7
03-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks Cyber!!!

giant056
03-06-2014, 02:57 PM
Mine arrived today, I must say it's really sensitive, I really like how you can rachet in on a target too. With my old Bullseye II you had to practically be touching a target but that's not the case with this one, it's actually going to be worth bringing along. I really like the idea that I can use my nimh AA's cause I always got 4 spares in my camera case for the headphones and there's plenty of room for a couple more.

SeabeeRon
03-13-2014, 03:33 PM
Mine is coming Jack!! Be ready for me to pick that very fertile brain of yours! :cool:

CyberSage
03-14-2014, 07:05 AM
...Be ready for me to pick that very fertile brain of yours! :cool:

Fertile brain? Hmmm? I don't know if this is a compliment, or not Ron. :lol:

CyberSage
03-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Some new information shared over at findmall by Rob. The Audio frequency mode is another undocumented setting...

Here are the menus for the TRX.

To turn on you press and release. You will hear 3 beeps and the light will be on. You are good to go.

To turn off, you press and hold until you hear TADA. Pinpointer and light are off.

There are 3 configure menus.

Default configure menu indicator adjust

1. After the turn off TADA,
2. Hold the button until you get to the configure beep. This is the indicator adjust menu. The TRX will cycle though beep, vibrate or (beep and vibrate).
3. Release the button on the one you want.

I believe I will only use this menu once. I prefer just the vibrate option and see no reason I will be switching. I prefer to have the sensitivity menu my main menu.

Menu Change
1. Get into configure mode as explained above.
2. Release and press the button 3 times and release the last time. You will hear a DA DA TAAAAAA beep. This puts the sensitivity menu first, and the indicators adjust as the 2nd menu.
This menu will cycle 1, 2, 3, 4 beeps for the 4 sensitivity levels.

Audio frequency mode

There's also a 3rd menu to change frequency.

1. Get into configure mode as explained above.
2. Release and press the button twice and on the second time, keep holding the button down. - this allows you to select a different audio frequency.
The actual loudness won't be as loud for the lower frequencies, but if somebody has a hard time hearing the higher frequencies - that might help.

Master reset.
1. Get to configure mode as explained above.
2. Release and press the button 7 times and then it will go back to the factory defaults. Well, mostly. It'll put the indicators and sensitivity and the menu structure back to defaults. If somebody changed their audio, the audio setting will stay as it was set. :thumbup::thumbup:

The Rebel
03-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the info Jack! I'm really looking forward to the reports from the field to come in.

geodehunter
05-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Now that you guy's have had your TRX's for awhile what do you think of them? I know I really like mine. I sold my Garrett and put a few bucks with it and bought mine.

giant056
05-13-2014, 08:56 PM
I really like mine a lot, the Bullseye II is a toy in comparison :grin:

rsarge1
05-13-2014, 09:06 PM
I like mine also at first I was having some trouble getting used to it so I started carrying both my gp and the trx but after a while I kept
going back to the trx so yes it is now my main pin pointer and the gp is the back up lol.