PDA

View Full Version : Presidental Campaign Fob from 1904

KCFindIt
02-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Was swinging away and found this little tag. My picture taking/camera is not very good. What is engraved on the tag is: Parker 1904 Davis Washington. Each word per line. Gave it to the property owner, who researched it and tells me it is a Presidential campaign train luggage fob, from 1904.

del
02-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Most train luggage tags will have the route or towns /cities names on them and a tag number , are you sure its a presidential luggage tag?? I would love to read the info he got on that . Luggage tags are a very cool and personal relic to find Kasey , congrats :clapping:

KCFindIt
02-17-2014, 09:24 PM
Most train luggage tags will have the route or towns /cities names on them and a tag number , are you sure its a presidential luggage tag?? I would love to read the info he got on that . Luggage tags are a very cool and personal relic to find Kasey , congrats :clapping: What she read and relayed to me was that a ? Parker was running for president in 1904, with a running mate of ? Davis, and their destination was Washington. These tags were made as a campaign button that imitates luggage tags. I think she got her info on a forum related to the Antique Roadshow. I didn't verify, nor have I researched.

NJJOSH
02-17-2014, 09:40 PM
What she read and relayed to me was that a ? Parker was running for president in 1904, with a running mate of ? Davis, and their destination was Washington. These tags were made as a campaign button that imitates luggage tags. I think she got her info on a forum related to the Antique Roadshow. I didn't verify, nor have I researched.

You are very correct i just researched it myself to try and help out there was actually a few different variations.

Ronandari
02-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Neat find and history:thumbsup01:

KCFindIt
02-17-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your interest. Marking this one down as a very identifiable unique find. And it is in very good condition, to boot!

NJJOSH
02-17-2014, 09:51 PM
Your welcome:) Its always nice to see what people are finding. HH and good luck

Digger Don
02-17-2014, 10:05 PM
Very nice find
It's not always about coins

coinnut
02-17-2014, 10:14 PM
You are very correct i just researched it myself to try and help out there was actually a few different variations.

Hey that last picture is from E bay :lol: I just found it too. They say:

RARE 1904 Alton Parker and Davis presidential campaign political watch fob - buy it now for $9.99 :confused:

Bell-Two
02-17-2014, 11:42 PM
That is a great find, I really like it!

giant056
02-18-2014, 04:30 AM
Great score on the fob :thumbsup01:

del
02-18-2014, 06:48 AM
What she read and relayed to me was that a ? Parker was running for president in 1904, with a running mate of ? Davis, and their destination was Washington. These tags were made as a campaign button that imitates luggage tags. I think she got her info on a forum related to the Antique Roadshow. I didn't verify, nor have I researched.

:wow: first I've heard of these Kasey :shocked02: a very cool find :perfect10:

aloldstuff
02-18-2014, 08:44 AM
Very nice recovery. You've got yourself some history and I know it will look great in a display case. :congrats:

KCFindIt
02-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Thank you, all. As soon as I can, I will get a better picture posted.

KCFindIt
02-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Got a better picture for all to see...37064

Timewarpdigger
02-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Awesome find and thanks for the history information all. Congrats.

coinnut
02-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Got a better picture for all to see...

That is one nice piece of history. :clapping:Makes a nice addition to your collection.

BTV Digger
02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Very nice find and uncommon! These sorta finds get me just as excited as coins as they're a piece of American history. Interesting tidbit, if you do a quick search for "Davis and Parker" there's a whole Wiki page on the 1904 election between these two and Teddy R. They actually carried the south for the Dems on the map they show. Davis, the VP nominee from West Virginia was 80 yrs old...the oldest major party candidate ever nominated.

BTV Digger

KCFindIt
02-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Very nice find and uncommon! These sorta finds get me just as excited as coins as they're a piece of American history. Interesting tidbit, if you do a quick search for "Davis and Parker" there's a whole Wiki page on the 1904 election between these two and Teddy R. They actually carried the south for the Dems on the map they show. Davis, the VP nominee from West Virginia was 80 yrs old...the oldest major party candidate ever nominated.

BTV Digger Thanks BTV Digger, for that additional effort of research and reveal of history. I truely had no idea of this item's significance. Very interesting, indeed. (I was never a history buff in school, but as I age, I have a whole new respect and admiration for history that I never thought I would).

Ill Digger
04-06-2014, 01:30 AM
:shocked04: Wow ! What a cool piece of American history! :usaflag:

.... (I was never a history buff in school, but as I age, I have a whole new respect and admiration for history that I never thought I would).

I'm just like you. Growing up history wasn't really .... interesting.:rolleyes: :lol:
But since I've got into metal detecting, I've enjoyed doing the reserch and finding out the history behind this things we find. That's half the fun of it!
Congrats :grin:

KCFindIt
04-06-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm just like you. Growing up history wasn't really .... interesting.:rolleyes: :lol:
But since I've got into metal detecting, I've enjoyed doing the reserch and finding out the history behind this things we find. That's half the fun of it!
Congrats :grin:Thank you, Ill Digger. I am indeed a visual learner, so reading the history books, just to memorize the dates and pass the test, didn't appeal to me. To be able to apply the knowledge by 'seeing', now, that I can understand and be interested. Metal detecting has brought a whole new perspective of history, for me.