PDA

View Full Version : Keep finding these at the beach

Tom
03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
I keep finding these at the coastal salt beach's and was wondering if anyone has any idea what they are? They look to me like melted alum of some kind. At first I thought they might be cans thrown into a beach fire that melted but the one on the left weighs more than a can would. Any ideas?

coinnut
03-02-2014, 05:53 PM
Usually that is what they are. I guess someone could have melted lawn chair or some other hefty item in that fire. That way it could be a mix of some aluminum and some other heavier metal. Alcohol makes good ideas out of bad ones :lol: You could always do a silver scratch test, just to make sure. I guess solder could be another possibility. Also try a strong magnet and see if it is a mix containing any steel.

Timewarpdigger
03-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I'll bet they blew your ears off when you went over them. Have no idea what they are though, sorry. Safe & HH

Ronandari
03-02-2014, 07:19 PM
I was finding several of these at an old farmhouse so I had them analyzed. They were a high silicone alloy similar to the type used in aluminum die casting.

Ron

giant056
03-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Looks like globs of melted aluminum.

tanacat
03-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Yeah prob melted beer cans in the campfires that are no longer there... I find lots of these clumps at old farmhouses where the burn piles were.

freemindstuck
03-07-2014, 02:02 PM
I call it slag. Nice example of it.

Tom
03-13-2014, 06:24 AM
Usually that is what they are. I guess someone could have melted lawn chair or some other hefty item in that fire. That way it could be a mix of some aluminum and some other heavier metal. Alcohol makes good ideas out of bad ones :lol: You could always do a silver scratch test, just to make sure. I guess solder could be another possibility. Also try a strong magnet and see if it is a mix containing any steel.

Yup I think it's probably melted aluminum. Magnet won't stick to it, always try that on most everything. You can get some really strong magnets from old computer hard drives if you take them apart. I'll need to do some research on a acid kit for testing both gold and silver I'd like to get one.