PDA

View Full Version : Well we tried to hunt

coinnut
03-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Del and I tested the terrain at a cellar hole which we had done well at in the past. We were hoping for some southern exposer melting, but it appears we are about a week early. Most of the area had about 6" on average of crusty snow. I had sent in my 3030 for some updates so I had my trusty E Trac as a backup machine. I also put the monster 18x15 SEF coil on it. Man is that thing heavy :lol:. We stayed for a long enough time to find some tidbits. Amazing what 6" loss of depth can do for quieting a cellar hole. :rolleyes: But I did find a Rome 5 coffee pot and figure it is newer than the cellar hole by quite a bit. Probably circa 1900 or so as a guess. A shotgun shell, and a pewter spoon that someone in the past had a disagreement with :pirate: Some iron was dug only because it was better than silence. I was happy with depth, since that silver plated flattened spoon bowl was at 3" after about 4-5" of snow. Came in as a really solid hit. Oh well, it was good to get out, plus the hike did us good, and as usual I get to scare Dan with my snow driving skills:clapping:

pulltabsteve
03-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Hey George! The ground wasn't frozen? Mike and I got out for a little while this morning and every place we went it was frozen solid. No match for the sledge hammer and chisel though :grin:

Epi-hunter
03-07-2014, 06:47 PM
You two are really crazy :lol:

Glad you got some digging in though!

coinnut
03-07-2014, 06:58 PM
Hey George! The ground wasn't frozen? Mike and I got out for a little while this morning and every place we went it was frozen solid. No match for the sledge hammer and chisel though :grin:

Nope, not frozen, but still too much snow to find the goods :lol: One advantage was that I could just slide that monster coil on the crusty surface with out much effort. Who needs bungee cords when you have ice covered snow :clapping:

You two are really crazy :lol:

Glad you got some digging in though!

Dan is the crazy one :shocked01: I'm in charge of making sure he gets home.

aloldstuff
03-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Well....at least you tried. Hopefully next weekend will be the time to hunt. When you and Dan do go hunting.....do you have to sign him out? :hystericallaugh:

giant056
03-07-2014, 07:49 PM
I would be happy to go in 10 inches of snow, we probably still got close to 2 feet in the woods but it has been melting, I might take a cruise tomorrow to scope out the situation cause I got cabin fever bad.

Lodge Scent
03-07-2014, 07:54 PM
Amazing what 6" loss of depth can do for quieting a cellar hole. :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder if it is worth hitting a worn out site at least once using minimal sensitivity settings ?

This hunt will hopefully help keep you guys sane until a thaw.

Digger Don
03-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Congrats on being able to get out and hunt. We are still frozen here, but it is starting to warm a little

Timewarpdigger
03-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Nice coffee pot and bet it was nice to get out. Congrats on the finds.

coinnut
03-07-2014, 08:32 PM
When you and Dan do go hunting.....do you have to sign him out? :hystericallaugh:

I used to. Now I just put aluminum foil over his ankle monitor and we walk out :lol:

pulltabsteve
03-07-2014, 09:27 PM
I'm kind of curious about the blue item, with the American flag sticker, on the shelf in the second picture. Looks like a meter or power supply. I sold something similar to a really strange dude at a yard sale maybe 12 years ago. That wasn't you was it? :)

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-07-2014, 09:43 PM
we still have like 10-12 in the woods here.not bad for all that snow,how'd dan do?

del
03-07-2014, 11:14 PM
well..... I see you found a teapot , you even found a spoon . what you couldn't come up with some coffee or tea so we could of had some hot beverages to drink when we were out there in that cold:rofl:

When you and Dan do go hunting.....do you have to sign him out? :hystericallaugh:

Al he has to produce three forms of I.D. a DNA test and a note from his "Mommy":lol:

Makes you wonder if it is worth hitting a worn out site at least once using minimal sensitivity settings ?

This hunt will hopefully help keep you guys sane until a thaw.

Jeff it was nice to get some exercise hiking up and down the hills in 8 to 10 inches of crusty snow its better than a treadmill.:grin: the snow was still so deep I was forced to using mixed mode (all metal and motion discrimination) on the trusty DFX and it worked out pretty well.didn't find much but yeah my sanity is "soothed" for a while longer:lol:

Now I just put aluminum foil over his ankle monitor and we walk out :lol:

That was a great call and worked like a charm George because that invisible electric dog fence would of zapped me something awful too , hate it when the wife tells me the chores have to be done first.:rofl::lolsign:

I'm kind of curious about the blue item, with the American flag sticker, on the shelf in the second picture. Looks like a meter or power supply. I sold something similar to a really strange dude at a yard sale maybe 12 years ago. That wasn't you was it? :)

Steve , I'm pretty sure thats Coinnut's "Home Self Electroshock Therapy " kit . Something he obviously didn't use this particular morning to control the sudden urges of going detecting in 8 to 10 inches of snow .:rofl::lol:

we still have like 10-12 in the woods here.not bad for all that snow,how'd dan do?

Dave , just waking up out of your hibernation I see. yes we have about another week of melting. I found a small horse shoe , some nails , aaahhh more nails and hey i did find some nails :rofl: and a couple of shotgun shells.

heres a few winter shots of the area

Bell-Two
03-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Man that is dedication to go out in that kind of snow...or is it just too much "stir crazy" setting in? :lol:

It got to 50 here yesterday did get out a bit to an old school, dug a gold ring! Will post later. Keep it up it has to get warmer soon....doesn't it?

coinnut
03-08-2014, 10:15 AM

It must have been another strange guy :lol: It's a gold plating unit that I just picked up recently. I'm gonna gold plate some tokens for Dan to find :thumbsup01:

pulltabsteve
03-08-2014, 10:22 AM
It must have been another strange guy :lol: It's a gold plating unit that I just picked up recently. I'm gonna gold plate some tokens for Dan to find :thumbsup01:
HAHAHAHA..... Rustoleum has some really nice gold paint. I painted some coins a few years ago and sent them to a buddy in mOHIO :) Have I ever posted the gold bar I found? :hystericallaugh:

KCFindIt
03-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Am loving all the comical bantering you guys have for each other. Very entertaining. I know y'all can't wait for the big melt. I feel for ya.

coinnut
03-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Am loving all the comical bantering you guys have for each other. Very entertaining. I know y'all can't wait for the big melt. I feel for ya.

We do it in good hearted fun. A lot of people here have developed friendships along the way. A better hunting partner I could not ask for, but if I have a chance to stick it to him, I will :hystericallaugh: Yep, we are chompin' at the bit for some more snow melting!!

KCFindIt
03-08-2014, 06:14 PM
We do it in good hearted fun. A lot of people here have developed friendships along the way. A better hunting partner I could not ask for, but if I have a chance to stick it to him, I will :hystericallaugh: Yep, we are chompin' at the bit for some more snow melting!!
What I would do to have a hunting buddy, and one that was as passionate and/or driven about MDing as I have become.

RobW
03-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Ok George...you have sparked my curiosity....What do you do with the bungie cords??????????

I can't believe ya'll went out in that.....it's not only the digging...but walking around in it, getting wet and cold feet that sucks the most. But you 2 are die hards...Dave and Todd didn't even go out...did they?

coinnut
03-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Ok George...you have sparked my curiosity....What do you do with the bungie cords??????????

Nothing exciting I can assure you :lol: What I meant was, there are products out there that attach to you machine (with bungee cords) to relieve the weight of it and let you swing effortlessly for hours. But with the snow hardened on top, that monster 18x15 coil would just glide over it, pretty much taking away any weight to the machine. That coil weighs so much that it starts to pull the upper shaft right out of the machine.:(

The Rebel
03-10-2014, 06:54 PM
Glad to see you guys got out. Lots of good melting took place over the weekend & looking like a nice rain on wed to wash more away.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Glad to see you guys got out. Lots of good melting took place over the weekend & looking like a nice rain on wed to wash more away.
rain? they are calling for more snow!

coinnut
03-12-2014, 01:56 PM
rain? they are calling for more snow!

Naw, they know we fear them so they are just pushing our buttons :lol:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-12-2014, 02:00 PM
Naw, they know we fear them so they are just pushing our buttons :lol:
I hope you are rright cuz Todd & myself are really lookin forward to getting out this sat.I think in the last 4-5 years this has to be the longest stretch without getting out during the winter.

RobW
03-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Rain today...turning to sleet and snow is what I'm hearing from the weather chanel:crying02: