PDA

View Full Version : Ever have one of those days?

Tom
03-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Went to Salisbury yesterday, got there an hour before the morning low tide really excited to do some searching! An absolutely perfect day, clear & sunny, no wind and the temps rose to an almost balmy 33 Deg's. Pretty warm considering what it's been lately! Gathered up all my stuff suited up and headed out to the beach at the state park. Put on my wireless headphones turned them on then went for the power button on the V3i and nothing! Not a peep. Pressed the button again, and again with the same result when I noticed the battery door was open. It was at that moment I realized the battery pack was sitting safely at home on the charger stand. Talk about a bummer.

Not wanting the trip to be a total waste I walked down to the water line to survey the beach. Yup looked like a few nice features had presented themselves begging to be detected! Of course there was no way they would still be above water by the time I returned with my forgotten battery pack. Oh well, so I started walking back to the car when this big black dog comes charging toward me! No big deal I think as plenty have come running up to see what I was doing swinging what probably looks to them like a stick back and forth. Some have even tried to help me dig, LOL.

Difference this time was this dog was snarling and barking with the hair on its back standing straight up! The dog got to about 10 feet away from me and continued barking and growling while circling around me. Now I do have a long handle aluminum sand scoop that is pretty solid however I never thought I’d need it for anything other than digging. As hard as I tried talking to the dog it did not seem interested in hearing what I was saying! Way, way, way off in the distance I could see what I hoped was the dogs’ handler running in my direction. When she finally made to me it took quite some time for her to catch the dog as they both circled around me.

I have to tell you my heart was pumping and I really thought the dog and I were going to go at it. The owner finally leashed the dog gave me a dirty look and off they went. No apology, no I’m sorry no nothing! Now it is my understanding that while dogs are allowed on the beach in the off season, they are supposed to be under the owners control and leashed, and now I know why. This dog needs a muzzle whenever out in public in my opinion!

I hear all the time about metal detectorists not filling in their holes and how bad that is for our hobby and I agree! But I never hear about all the people who don’t pick up after their dogs, I see the crap all over the beach! And I should not have to fear for my life on a public beach!

Sorry for the rant, but had to vent. I honestly believe that there are very few bad dogs out there; however there are way too many bad owners!

So anyway, drove all the way back home retrieved my forgotten battery pack and returned to the beach. Not Salisbury as the tide covers the good areas too quickly but went to Hampton as the tide comes in very slowly there trying to salvage what was left of my day. Here is a picture of what I found. Three dimes, a 75, 76 and 87. And of course, a bunch of other junk.

coinnut
03-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Ever have one of those days???? Yep :lol: I've left the batteries home, brought a dead battery pack (grabbed the wrong one) or the best one....I think it is good enough to last the hunt :angry: Been pretty lucky with the dogs though. Only scared once and it was by a German Shepard in the woods. After him charging at me, he wagged his tail. He looked ancient :lol:

Timewarpdigger
03-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Not surprised by the owners reaction, have had that happened to me a few times. I just send them off with a have a nice day. LOL :disgusted: Hope things go a little bit better next time. Safe & HH

KCFindIt
03-09-2014, 02:27 AM
That was really rude for her to not at least apologize. She's lucky you didn't wallop him one to protect yourself. (I do love dogs, just don't like getting bit by em.)

del
03-09-2014, 11:45 AM
OOPS , i've left equipment at home before by mistake or left them in Coinnut's truck after a hunt:lol: it happens

I agree Tom pet owner's seem to get a pass on what they do in parks or beaches but "God help us" if we upset someone while retrieving some can slaw out of a small hole.:yes: then theres a public out cry ;) you were at least owed an apology for having a dog threaten you like that , something i would of reminded the owner by saying " you almost had yourself a lawsuit had he bitten me because your lack of restraint on him. " glad you weren't hurt .

Dan

giant056
03-09-2014, 01:47 PM
I had about the same thing happen probably right around 1 year ago and it sounds like the same lady too, her dog was a pitbull growling at me in the woods not on a leash. I wish I'd had a cellphone at the time I would have dialed 911

h2oyo
03-10-2014, 08:28 PM
OH I have done that before, its a sinking feeling. I had a German Shepard run up behind me while sniffing out a coin. It gets your blood pumping that is for sure. This guy only wanted to say hi. But later on the same day I had a group of kids with there parents eating lunch on the hood of my car! I never understand this, but lets just say it ended badly for them as several of them was hauled off and two cars impounded because of open containers. I had a great day though lol. I found me a kids rings, tiny little thing lol and some clad.

aloldstuff
03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Dogs and kids, gotta love em. I always try to keep my front to a wayward dog. Only once can I remember that not happening because the owner arrived and I was sure that the "pup" would behave. As I was talking to her I felt the dog bump my leg from behind. Good God I thought that was it, as I imagined the dogs teeth latched ahold of my leg. Thankfully nothing happened but I still kept my eye on that dog while it was in the park.

Sorry to hear of your experience Tom. Glad it worked out well.

Skamaniac
03-11-2014, 10:19 PM
I've not felt threatened by a dog, but last year after I'd just gotten my AT Pro with the headphones I was on my knees digging away. I looked up and saw a black lab face six inches from my face with this, "Whatcha doin'?" look on his face. Startled me so bad I screamed at the top of my lungs. In my mind. In reality it sounded more like stepping on a cat's squeaky toy as I miraculously performed the backstroke across the dirt for fifteen feet. That was the first time I ever heard a dog laugh.

Tom
03-12-2014, 11:19 AM
That was the first time I ever heard a dog laugh.

Thanks for sharing. Your story made me laugh too, only because you did not get hurt though! :coffeelaugh:

Tom
03-12-2014, 11:21 AM
That was really rude for her to not at least apologize. She's lucky you didn't wallop him one to protect yourself. (I do love dogs, just don't like getting bit by em.)

I know! I'm not really a dog lover per say, however I'm certainly not a dog hater! I can take'm or leave'm. :shocked04: