PDA

View Full Version : One last Whatsit from last fall

BTV Digger
03-09-2014, 09:34 AM
So, since more snow is on the way this week and it looks like I might not be able to get out for the first time until April, I thought I'd post one last Whatsit from last fall. Found at an old cellar hole, well...sort of. House was there on an 1857 map, but not abandoned until the Depression-Era (1930 or so from what I can gather). Found several wheaties there in the 1920-1930 time frame etc. So any ideas folks? Could it be from a music box, or from some sort of music device? I really haven't a clue. House did not have electricity. Thanks in advance for your ideas.

BTV Digger

37278 37279

del
03-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Yes BTV Digger its a musical note reed for a sqeeze box/ pump organ. some actually have the musical letter or note (A,E,D,G,B,F,ect.) stamped on the bottom near the flat end.these musical instruments were hugely popular and affordable around the 1900's to about the 1920's.

Dan

BTV Digger
03-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Great, thanks Dan. Yeah, I was thinking it might be from some sort of musical device but certainly wasn't positive.

John

KCFindIt
03-09-2014, 10:48 AM
I read these posts nearly daily and it never ceases to amaze me at how knowledgeable you guys are when it comes to identifying things. Even if it stumps you, it doesn't stump you! Y'all have the best feedback, thanks for being great teachers/mentors/historians.

del
03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
I read these posts nearly daily and it never ceases to amaze me at how knowledgeable you guys are when it comes to identifying things. Even if it stumps you, it doesn't stump you! Y'all have the best feedback, thanks for being great teachers/mentors/historians.

Kasey , we have some really great people here :perfect10:and there is a wide range of knowledge that we're proud to share. I myself remember how it was when i started out detecting and not knowing most of what i recovered and how frustrating it can be .Thanks for the great feed back , it means a lot to to us .

Dan

giant056
03-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Yep reedplate for an organ or squeezebox, accordian etc. I've found big and small ones.

BTV Digger
03-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Followup to earlier post...went and got my magnifying glass to look closer and indeed, mark of "F#" (F Sharp) barely identifiable toward the bottom. Concur with KCFindIT. So glad to find this forum and to glean knowledge from the more seasoned veterans of the trade.

coinnut
03-09-2014, 06:31 PM
We find a lot of them and they sound goooood :lol: They must have been fairly affordable since a good amount of cellar holes have them. I let Dan dig them to get them out of my way :)

CTTodd
04-01-2014, 03:15 PM
I sure have dug a lot of those. I would also prefer to have Dan dig them.