PDA

View Full Version : P.O.D. button and siver ring!!

xzlr8n
05-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Here are some interesting and excellent finds from the last two evenings. Monday night I was invited to hunt with a fellow detectorist at his neighbor's house. This is a farm house we have hunted hard and pulled a good quantity of silver and wheats from so I wasn't expecting much but it was a beautiful evening :yes: to be swinging the detector. My friend, Don, did find a 1846 LG Cent the other day in an area we hadn't hunted hard, so there was some hope for some good finds. Well, about a 1 1/2 into the hunt all I had was a copper pipe cut off about the size of a ring :ticked: :ticked:. Don only had a '50 Wheat so he suggests we check out another area by the old barn where I remembered a lot of iron targets. I had my V3 and the D2 so I felt I might have a chance to hit something good, and it had to be better than where I was. Right off the bat I had a solid 51-54 VDI reading that was Red dominant in pin-point about 3 down on the barn bridge. I'm thinking IH or button ---- it's a P.O.D. button :confused: :confused:. When I researched it last night it turns out to be a Post Office Delivery uniform button, I couldn't find a date of use but it looks to be turn of the 19th century or berfore. Next target was next to some other targets that I had to clear out first, but was worth the effort in the form of a watch cover (fob) or tennis medallion, looks to be from the 30's and with that I ended the night on high note!! Tonight, Don called up and wanted to go down to the local park where I found the 1903 Barber quarter. We hit a 4H barn and horse arena area. LOTS OF TRASH AND IRON :mad:!!!! However,,,,,,,, I did find a real nice silver ring with a rose mounted on it. It is a little big for the wife's finger but maybe I'll have it re-sized for her or my daughter who showed some real interest in it. This is the best silver ring I've found to date, but my son has me beat with a ring he found and my wife love's. Other interesting items for the evening were the Disabled Vet's key tag and a compact case cover:huh: Enjoy the pic's.

angellionel
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
That really is a very good looking ring. :yes: I like the button too. I found one of those a few years back. I'm sure others have been found, but yours is only the second I have seen posted. :huh:

Epi-hunter
05-25-2010, 11:37 PM
Wow.... ! :shocked04: Those are some fantastic finds! I love the button and especially the ring. Congratulations!!!

del
05-26-2010, 02:59 AM
great looking post office uniform button and some pretty old finds , very cool thumbsup01

coinnut
05-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey Nice loking finds there :shocked04: I looked up the Post Office button in Albert's book and the closest I can come to is FD67A. That variety does not list what the backmark says, so it could be the one you have from Utica, NY. Most were Scovill MFG/ Waterbury. I doesn't give any dates but I would guess, late 1800's / early 1900's. Nice button. The ring is cool too as is the tennis watch fob. An all around good hunt. Seems like that area still has more left to give you.

tanacat
05-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Excellent finds! Love all the old stuff, lots of variety! The ring sure is intricate...

Beefcake
05-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Wow. In one hunt, you found two identical items I have found! The pod button dates to the 1860s, and the Luxor compact is from the 30s if I remember correctly.

coinnut
05-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Wow. In one hunt, you found two identical items I have found! The pod button dates to the 1860s, and the Luxor compact is from the 30s if I remember correctly.

Wow, the pod button dates that old? Cool! Considering the post office was not in business too much earlier than that, officially in 1848 but probably operating earlier than that. Nice old button. Thanks BC.

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Great finds X ! You've got a great spot to hunt . Here's a couple of pic's of one I found . I can't
make out who the manufacturer is but part of the name is BROWN . Mine was attached to the copper ring in the picture . I hope you are able to hunt that spot again .Nice going . thumbsup01

Baba

xzlr8n
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Everyone, thanks for all the info and thanks for looking thumbsup01. You just never know what you'll find out there :grin:.

Ill Digger
05-26-2010, 06:21 PM
That looks like it was a great hunt for ya!!
All kinds of good finds!!
I also found a compact like yours last year...your looks to be in better shape than mine thumbsup01
The silver ring is real nice !!
Congrtas :grin:

coinnut
05-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Great finds X ! You've got a great spot to hunt . Here's a couple of pic's of one I found . I can't
make out who the manufacturer is but part of the name is BROWN . Mine was attached to the copper ring in the picture . I hope you are able to hunt that spot again .Nice going . thumbsup01

Baba

Hey Baba, you're alive? lol Your button looks like Xzlr8n's button Albert's 67A if it has a period after each letter of POD. If it just has a period after P and O then it's a 67B. Albert's book doesn't list backmarks for those two varieties, but in the back of the book for all types of backmarks it lists some with the Brown name. Cullen Brown (1840's) and Wanamaker & Brown (1860's). Nice buttons guys.

xzlr8n
05-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Hey Baba, you're alive? lol Your button looks like Xzlr8n's button Albert's 67A if it has a period after each letter of POD. If it just has a period after P and O then it's a 67B. Albert's book doesn't list backmarks for those two varieties, but in the back of the book for all types of backmarks it lists some with the Brown name. Cullen Brown (1840's) and Wanamaker & Brown (1860's). Nice buttons guys.

George,
My POD button is made by Maher Bros if you couldn't read it in the pics. Guys at my local MD club hinted that it is probably from the 20's or 30's. Thanks for your info.
Scott