PDA

View Full Version : Knocking on doors

MIKE54
03-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Just wondering how you guys present yourselves and ask permission when knocking on random doors to gain access to someone's yard to detect ? I've never done it before but the time has come to start. Any pointers will be welcome.

Full Metal Digger
03-10-2014, 04:33 PM
It is definitely an acquired skill! I keep it simple and direct. I make sure I look the homeowner straight in the eye the whole time I am talking. Remember, you are making a sales pitch so be energetic and smile (like a politician does). I say "Hi, my name is (say your name) and I live in (say your town). I have a metal detector and my hobby is searching for old coins, buttons and bullets. I can usually find one or two old coins at old houses such as yours. May I have your permission to search your yard with my metal detector?" Some hints: DO NOT mention digging and don't have your gear with you when you ask. Be prepared to search immediately as most folks change their mind later. If you are asked about digging, say you make a small slit in the grass and retrieve the coin, putting the grass back exactly like you found it. Be prepared to give a demonstration if asked to. If you get the old "what's in it for me" from the homeowner, say you'll split the finds with him. (I always think "you get the wheaties and I get the silvers" LOL). They usually say don't worry about it after you say you'll split with them. Good luck!

slvrsrchr
03-10-2014, 06:03 PM
daddydigger, i have also wondered exactly what to say, thanks for the tip on how to approach a homeowner......appreciated! Also, not to hijack the thread, but hope to see some of your videos again on youtube soon!

Digger Don
03-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Just remember, the worst that can happen is they say no.
Thank them for their time and on to the next one.

KCFindIt
03-10-2014, 08:23 PM
thank you for your tips on your approach to 'a stranger'. I haven't tried it yet and was also wondering what the best tactic is, that works. Sounds like a polite and tactful way, daddydigger.

RobW
03-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Al knocks on the door...he is an old man that looks harmless..he says that he has a retarded kid in the car and points to me in the car...and that the kid would like to metal detect and we are looking for a place and would it be ok.......they always agree. At least that's how he says he does it...he has about a 90% YES ratio

Tim knocks on the door...he has been met with bats, crow bars, and vicious dogs.....his ratio is pretty low..but he does get some YES

Personally, I knock on the door, introduce myself (we are rarely in our own town) and point to Al/Tim say they are my buddies and that we metal detect for a hobby and we we look for old buttons and buckles (I never mention coins), I then find something to compliment on their property, like "and you have a beautiful old home." and we were hoping to be able to have the opportunity to detect here if you are ok with it. I have about a 60% ratio of YES. I never offer to split and if they want to I just move on. I have given things to owners in the past, but I do not start that way.

RobW
03-11-2014, 11:46 AM
It's all a numbers game. The more doors you knock on, the more yes' you'll get. Some people are pleasant, some people are nasty. Just remember not to take it personally...just think about how you'd feel if someone you didn't know randomly knocks on your door and asks to dig in your yard...JUST DONT WEAR YOUR LESHE WHEN YOU KNOCK!

Full Metal Digger
03-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Let me just add this: Pick your yards to ask wisely! A super-manicured lawn with little statues of deer and rabbits? I don't even bother. Lots of weeds and bare spots (but mowed)? Ask away!

aloldstuff
03-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Thanks RobW for giving away my best kept secret.....:lol:. I have to agree with everything that Rob mentioned. Definitely look at it as a numbers game and never take a "NO" personally. Daddydiggers advice about the condition of the lawn is also very key.