PDA

View Full Version : Old button and first silver coin

zrickkid
05-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Here is an old button I dug with my daughter today. Anyone know what it is or how old? Also this is my first silver coin a 1942 Mercury dime with mint luster. Im still finding mostly clad coins but these sure made my days when they came out of the dirt. Thanks for looking.

Epi-hunter
05-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Wow, that is a cool button! (sorry, that's all the detail I can provide lol ) And congrats on the silver --- beautiful merc!

angellionel
05-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Congrats on the silver. thumbsup01 A few of the button experts here should be able to help you with that button. It does look old.

del
05-26-2010, 05:56 AM
nice merc Zrickkid they never get old to find , as for the button it looks like a steel back type which would be from early 1900's
or later and could even be off a modern blazer or jacket as those styles were reproduced frequently.

Dan

Hook
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
congrats on your first silver coin! i bet you were doin the dance huh? :happydance01: :happydance01: as far as the button..i am clueless on that one, sorry :)

Ill Digger
05-26-2010, 07:54 AM
Yeah...I don't know anything about the button :dontknow: But I do know that it is always fun to find a Merc!! thumbsup01
Congrats on your first of many !! :grin:

tanacat
05-26-2010, 09:25 AM
By the looks of the back of the button it doesn't look reproduced to me, but I'm no button expert. I think Coinnut and Handyman know a lot about buttons... Congrats on two great finds! Oh and it's your first silver :happydance01:

coinnut
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Those buttons are hard to tell. I think Del is pretty much on track. I Googled what I thought it said and got no real results on it. Generally iron backed buttons were around 1900 or even a bit earlier and many of those buttone were reproduced on jackets even today. So the closest way to date it would be to see how deep the button was and to try and figure out how corroded other old items found there are. If you live in an area where just a few years corrodes steel, then it could be new. But if your ground is relitively mild to corrosion, then that button is probably older. Unless you find that particular style in a book, you won't know much more. I'll give Albert's book a try, but I don't remember seeing that type in there. :thinkingabout:

Cheap Thrills
05-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Nice going Z , congrats on your first silver and the cool button . A Merc' is a great way to start (or to find anytime for that matter ) . thumbsup01

Baba