PDA

View Full Version : Old School Artifact

Skamaniac
03-12-2014, 12:42 AM
So this winter I've been doing research on potential sites. Through history books and interviews I found the site of a schoolhouse that was in use from 1924 to circa 1937. It basically was abandoned and fell down. The best part is it's on land I have permission to detect.

I've attached photos of a wide shot of the school around 1930, and a closer shot from around the same time. In the closer shot you can see the doorknob of the front door. And I enlarged that.

Sunday I was there detecting (in the middle of a forest now) with my brother and a friend and I found that doorknob, including the locking mechanism and the latch, all intact.

The photos are from a local museum so I will see if the museum would like the mechanism to go with the photos.

del
03-12-2014, 06:17 AM
very cool piece and photo to document it , i'm sure the local museum ir historical society would love to have that to display. what gets me is all the open room around the school in the photos , plenty of room for kids to run around and loose things .

Dan

BTV Digger
03-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Really neat that you can link it to a documented site and photo. History buffs (and the museum) are sure to love it. Lots of times the inherent value of an item isn't necessarily monetary. Thanks for posting.

BTV Digger

Tom
03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Very nice! I need to start looking at inland hunting! Seems I'm always at the beach fishing!

Skamaniac
03-12-2014, 11:20 AM
very cool piece and photo to document it , i'm sure the local museum ir historical society would love to have that to display. what gets me is all the open room around the school in the photos , plenty of room for kids to run around and loose things .

Dan

What make the hunting difficult now is that it has become a forest with many inches of duff and blow-down trees laying all over the place. On the other hand, because it's in a forest it's difficult to locate and hopefully hasn't been too disturbed over the years.

aloldstuff
03-12-2014, 12:13 PM
What a nice item. Having photos of it in use is really cool. Too bad about the detecting conditions, but as you said maybe nobody else has been there.

del
03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
What make the hunting difficult now is that it has become a forest with many inches of duff and blow-down trees laying all over the place. On the other hand, because it's in a forest it's difficult to locate and hopefully hasn't been too disturbed over the years.

I agree , most of the fields i detect are over grown fields now and they present way more challenges than open plowed ones but thats one of the reasons they are so overlooked . Also the coins and relics are usually preserved or in better condition than the still used ones . sounds like a great area to explore , good luck.

The Rebel
03-12-2014, 12:50 PM
That's just AWESOME to be able to connect the find to the picture!

Bell-Two
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Now that is really interesting! It is nice when you can make a connection like that!

RobW
03-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Very cool..all the way around:cool::thumbsup01:

Timewarpdigger
03-12-2014, 07:55 PM
That is truly awesome what a find. Congrats!!! Safe & HH

JdsCoins
03-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Awesome detective work! :grin:

KCFindIt
03-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Absolutely awesome in so many ways. You rock!

Digger Don
03-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Excellent find. It's great finding items with story behind them.