PDA

View Full Version : A month 1/2 layoff me and todd come out of hibernation with a vengeance

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Today was the day! after a month and 1/2 of clawing the walls..Todd & myself headed out.1st site Todd was at solo a few months ago and dug a nice sword hilt there so ,me made that our 1st stop.targets were slow going at 1st then my coil heated up.1803 draped bust.few mins later another 1803 draped bust.worked the site for a few hours then got another copper 1809 classic head.a few feet away about 5 inches this thin green disc pops out,thought cloak button at 1st but saw a crest and lettering on edge.the whole time i was thinking a copper spanish maravedis but it looks Swedish or something dated 1821.todd wasn't having much success at this site and he wanted to go investigate a round stoned pen we saw from the air a mile away,so..we started the trek.found a old road near the penned area and we walked up the rd and came across this monster cellar hole :shocked04: the hole was dead,barely any targets so,we walked down and found the circular pen,it had 4 openings so,we just swung in there for the rest of the day.got some buttons,a almost complete tombac type metal colonial shoe buckle , a very worn smaller copper possibly a half cent and a neat ornate buckle which i'm really curious about.looks like some type of sling buckle made of heavy duty cast brass with some type of colored glass? set into the pattern.any idea's on the buckle and coin? any help would be appreciated.
todd's coil heated up at the 2nd site and he ended the day in presidential fashion ;) :grin:
my new white's TRX pinpointer worked like a champ.really like it and the new white's pro-star headphones i love!

Thiltzy
03-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Awesome day Dave. One of the Draped Bust cleaned up nice:smitten:
That thin copper is the oddest coin Iv'e seen you dig. Those look like clovers on the coin???:interesting: Hey man, what about the small button with the state seal looking front? No close up?

Digger Don
03-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Those are absolutely awesome finds. We don't find stuff like that here in Illinois.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Awesome day Dave. One of the Draped Bust cleaned up nice:smitten:
That thin copper is the oddest coin Iv'e seen you dig. Those look like clovers on the coin???:interesting: Hey man, what about the small button with the state seal looking front? No close up?
somebody said it's portugese ,the seal button is a common blah blazer button with steel back

pulltabsteve
03-16-2014, 05:45 AM
HOLY MOLY!! What a great looking spot and fantastic digs! :thumbsup02: When will you be opening your "large copper" museum? ;)

del
03-16-2014, 07:29 AM
wow you guys almost had no snow at all :clapping:

better keep that Todd fellow around Davey , he likes to take you to nice places (lightly hit sites) :yes: Coinnut only takes me to beat to death sites (I guess the honeymoon is finally over:rofl:)

congrats on the five coin day :happy: the ground will be "perfect " for the next few weeks and the targets are screaming to get out.;)

The Rebel
03-16-2014, 07:50 AM
WTG Dave! Man that site is huge! That was a house and not a mill? I was out yesterday & man did it feel good to be out digging in the dirt again!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-16-2014, 08:01 AM
wow you guys almost had no snow at all :clapping:

better keep that Todd fellow around Davey , he likes to take you to nice places (lightly hit sites) :yes: Coinnut only takes me to beat to death sites (I guess the honeymoon is finally over:rofl:)

congrats on the five coin day :happy: the ground will be "perfect " for the next few weeks and the targets are screaming to get out.;)
there was snow,just not in the photos.the shady sides had 3 inches.the foundations happened to be in the sun exposed areas.Dan your thoughts on the rectangular buckle? almost looks womens but heavy duty and shaped like a sling buckle.1850 ish?

Lodge Scent
03-16-2014, 08:33 AM
Now that's the way to put winter behind you :wow:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-16-2014, 09:47 AM
my coin http://www.ebay.com/itm/1821-R-Brazil-20-Reis-Portugal-Colonial-Coin-Pedro-I-South-America-KM-316-1-/111168422143?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item19e22780ff

Thiltzy
03-16-2014, 09:54 AM

Funny you say this Dan. I was joking with Dave at the end of they on how good we do when I pick the sites:coffeelaugh:

Tony Two-Cent
03-16-2014, 10:06 AM
What an incredible day you had, Dave! I would give my left arm to be able to find colonial coins and relics like that. If I ever found even one draped bust large cent I would have a smile on my face for a month.

:congrats:

del
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Dan your thoughts on the rectangular buckle? almost looks womens but heavy duty and shaped like a sling buckle.1850 ish?

Dave the buckle looks like a woman's neck stock buckle a later one maybe early 1800's to about 1820 its matches close in construction to a few examples online. i take it you found it at the large cellar site ??

Thiltzy
03-16-2014, 11:28 AM
He found at the penned in area Dan, where I found most of my goodies.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-16-2014, 01:45 PM
c'mon you guys geesh.i've taken Todd to some good sites too.damn my ribs hurt from all the elbowing i'm gettin here:poke:

giant056
03-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Wow!!!!!!! you made some awesome finds indeed :thumbsup02:
......................... :congrats:

aloldstuff
03-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Looks like no more clawing at the walls eh. Great finds, I would die to dig the coins that you got today. I can understand the sore ribs so no ribbing here. :congrats:on the finds and looking forward to many more.

milco
03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Greats finds! Still looking at frozen dirt under lots of snow here.

don in ny
03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Now that's my kind of day metal detecting. I love finding the old coppers and you found a handful. Pulled out some nice buckles to boot. Way to go!

Timewarpdigger
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Wow what a day of finds, most can only dream. Congrats!!!

Bell-Two
03-16-2014, 11:44 PM
Sheesh that is a awesome day Dave! Lots of everything!

zrickkid
03-17-2014, 12:03 PM
You always bring home some good stuff.

coinnut
03-17-2014, 08:07 PM
What a great haul of coppers :shocked03: Nice coins, cool buckle and a lot of other great finds!!! Is that a mega ox knob? :lol:

KCFindIt
03-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Am loving that y'all got out AND found good stuff. It's really fun and inspiring to see what y'all come up with. Jealous here.

RobW
03-18-2014, 07:25 AM
:shocked04:...that's a handful of coppers! Freakin awesome hunt you guys had!!!!!! :envious:

kray
03-19-2014, 08:38 PM
Awesome day, Dave. UFB!!!

NJJOSH
03-23-2014, 06:01 PM
Cool looking cellar holes. Awesome finds seems like you guys had a great day thanks for sharing the awesomeness :cheesysmile:

BTV Digger
03-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Great finds! Definitely look for sites on the south facing slopes early on in the spring. That's where the sun's radiation hits the strongest and the snow goes away first. Folks knew that way back when too! That's why many sites have southern exposure or are on the south sides of hills in these northern climes.

BTV Digger