PDA

View Full Version : Bat Wing Buckles (2) Hallmarked Silver Buckle and more.

don in ny
03-16-2014, 08:48 AM
I first posted this in coinshooting forum by mistake. Got out to do some land hunting for the first time and came up with a couple of bat wing buckles, a hallmarked silver buckle, an old railroad tag and a cut colonial copper. Don't know much about the buckles, but it's my first hallmarked silver buckle. I've seen the bat wings turn up, but don't know much about them. The cut copper is very thin and probably a Machins piece or counterfeit British halfpence. Didn't find any great coins, but an interesting day. Most areas of the farm were still frozen and only those with great southern exposure had thawed. Still leaves me over 100 acres to hunt : ) Any info on the buckles would be appreciated.

37428 37429 37430 37431

Thiltzy
03-16-2014, 09:48 AM
Great digs there Don. A fine assortment of buckles you got. I have only ever dug one bat wing buckle before, they don't seem that common and the silver buckle is great find.

del
03-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Great silver knee buckle Don I suspect the maker WF is silversmith William Faris 1728 to 1804 . don't find to many solid silver examples with hallmarks , its a great piece :perfect10: . the "batwing" type buckles have been up for lots of debates as to their age , some say their 1800's and some say much older. I believe they are a type of "Baldric" buckle and used as early as the late 1600's to maybe around the war of 1812 era. they are also very sweet finds.

Dan

don in ny
03-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks Del. I wasn't sure about what the silver buckle was for. I thought it might be too small for a knee buckle. It's about 1" x 1.5". I had did some looking online for the hallmark and the closest match I could come up with was the same as you, William Faris 1728-1804. FYI, these were found on a farm with the original house that's still there dating to 1795. One last thing, do you know what the bat wing buckles were used for?
Thanks

Digger Don
03-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Congrats on your finds. Those buckles are awesome

del
03-16-2014, 10:21 AM
Don the silver buckle is consistant with typical knee buckles sizes and being made of solid silver they are generally a bit smaller than the norm and is probably from the 1770's to 90's era. the Batwing buckles are usually associated with shoulder sling type buckles or "baldric" buckles as they are sometimes known .they are usually a heavier duty type buckles and used for such, they could of been used for powder horn/cartidge pouch straps , canteens ,rifle straps ,ect.

Dan

don in ny
03-16-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the info. The time period fits with the farm. I believe there may have been a house on the property that pre dates the one now standing from 1795. There's also a house built in 1800 on the property. I certainly look forward to the other 100 acres I get to hunt. It borders a like on one side and there's also a small stream through part of the property. Great places for people to end up 200 years ago. This is the same property I found 6 large cents on the same day just before everything froze up.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-16-2014, 03:05 PM
sweet finds! solid silver framed knee or shoe buckles don't surface often and are a spectacular sight when coming out of a hole.congrats!

aloldstuff
03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Sweet knee buckle, don't see silver ones that often and its hallmarked. This thread gave me a lot of information especially about the batwing buckles. Can't wait to see what the other 100 acres will produce. :congrats:

The Rebel
03-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Some quality finds right there!

Bell-Two
03-16-2014, 11:51 PM
Nice to see great finds and get an education too! Great post love those Batwings!

chief5709
03-17-2014, 05:29 AM
Don, Awesome finds. Love the buckles! Great information on the finds Dan. :thumbsup02:

We still have up to a foot of snow in most of our fields a few hours north of you. I don't think I'll be out until April...

giant056
03-17-2014, 05:58 AM
Very cool belt buckles :thumbsup01:

del
03-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Don there are a few more silver makers that match initials for that buckle I'm afraid. William Fearn from London 1769 and William Fordham London - mid 18th C . you would have to study them marks well to come up with the individual responsible in its creation.

Dan

don in ny
03-17-2014, 07:38 PM
Del, I've gone through everything I could find online and it appears my piece may have been made by William Garret Forbes who worked in NYC from 1770 - 1830. From what I could find, the style of the punch most likely resembles his mark. The mark of William Faris is very similar, but the lettering is thinner on all his known punches. He worked a bit earlier than Forbes and worked out of Maryland. The William Fearn mark from England is also very similar. After looking quite a bit at his work I could never find anything made by him outside items found in a dining room like spoons and forks with an occasional bowl or creamer. I did find a shoe buckle for Forbes and when you add in the location of his business in NYC it kind of fits. After all is said and done, I think it's Forbes.

PS: I agree with you about the batwing being a kind of Baldric buckle.