PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your finds?

RobW
03-19-2014, 02:42 PM
I am always curious on what everyone does with what they find???? I believe most of us keep them as our trophies. Sometimes we display them, or they just disappear into a box..... And some people sell their finds when and if they can. What do you do?

Personally, I don't sell anything, and I don't plan on it, unless I fall on hard times. I display some of my "better" finds in a display case in my office, and have the more valuable items locked away. And then there are the boxes of keepers that aren't worth displaying.

RobW
03-19-2014, 02:44 PM
The display case in the office has also been great for clients to see, talk about, and opens to opportunities to hunt their properties:grin:

Tony Two-Cent
03-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Wow, beautiful display case, Rob! Look at all of those wonderful coins and colonial relics. I really need to do something like that. Sadly, all of my finds are just in boxes.

RobW
03-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks...picked it up at auction for $100, took 2 of us to move it. I have a few other displays I've picked up at auction for later use that are smaller. I like auctions when I can't detect.

Dave does a great job with his displays...but I'm not that handy or creative.

Ronandari
03-19-2014, 02:58 PM
I have given things away but never sold anything. I don't have enough finds to make a display yet but maybe some day.

Ron

del
03-19-2014, 03:06 PM
:shocked03: wow you need to take me to some of them auctions Rob :) I tell you what I'll give you photograph lessons in exchange for me tagging along on a couple of your auction excursions ;)

aloldstuff
03-19-2014, 03:18 PM
:shocked03: wow you need to take me to some of them auctions Rob :) I tell you what I'll give you photograph lessons in exchange for me tagging along on a couple of your auction excursions ;)

Rob, take Del up on this offer.......please

coinnut
03-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Rob :beatdeadhorse: pictures :beatdeadhorse: say no more?:poke:Nice arrangement of finds. How many of those things can you squeeze into your office?:lol: You are going to need them.

Timewarpdigger
03-19-2014, 07:59 PM
Haven't found as much as you and I know that I will eventually but not sure what I will do then. The idea of a display case is on my mind, but don't know what the wife would say. Congrats on all the finds.

KCFindIt
03-19-2014, 08:44 PM
That is an impressive display case and all of it's contents. Like a few others above, I don't have anything worthy of a display case of that nature. In fact, most of what I dig up is old iron relics. I lay them neatly on my driveway, like things together, let the rain wash the dirt off, and there they sit, in all their glory! I have contacted a local sculpture artist and he is interested in coming by and looking at my collection to possibly make something out of some of the pieces. I'll probably haul the rest off to the scrap yard, keeping only the rarest of finds!

JdsCoins
03-19-2014, 11:16 PM

That was a good one. Photography lessons :coffeelaugh:

That was a great piece to pick up for $100.

Sometime I will show my presentation for my finds. :)

giant056
03-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Very cool display case :cool:

MangoAve
03-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Quit flossin' Rob! Hahah. Nice finds tho. Me, any newer coins I might just put back into circulation. Pennies after 1959, Quarters after 1964, ect. I am thinking to get air-tites for coins including the ones I have from collecting. Relics, if they are asthetic or something that was conversation piece, I'd display them. If it might be something worth donating to historical society for the town, I'd consider doing that. All the rest maybe trash. Yes, I understand the intrinsic value of what you find, but I am not a hoarder. So, in other words, complex answer.

Dan, since you are giving photo lessons, can you answer if this like the American Detectorist version of a selfie?

RobW
03-20-2014, 10:09 AM

They come up all the time at auction. I go to one pretty local up in the hills...less competition for stuff. I picked up a nice display table a few weeks ago for $20. You're more than welcome to come with me...lessons or not!:thumbsup01::lol:

RobW
03-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Rob :beatdeadhorse: pictures :beatdeadhorse: say no more?:poke:Nice arrangement of finds. How many of those things can you squeeze into your office?:lol: You are going to need them.

:lol:...I actually thought these came out pretty good....for me.....
I'm running out of space...so I can't squeeze too many more into "this office"...but I have a few more offices.

RobW
03-20-2014, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Timewarpdigger;158802] The idea of a display case is on my mind, but don't know what the wife would say. QUOTE]

:rofl:...I completely understand....that's why they are at my office...and NOT in my house!:rofl:

CODY
03-20-2014, 07:53 PM
I don't sell anything. Most coins and tokens go into albums. I have a display case where larger items go. Plastic buckets in the shop for all the rest.

smeigs
03-20-2014, 09:29 PM
I love that display case.. I personally keep all my finds. I have different boxes for different things. But, I may have to get me a fancy case like yours now!

CTTodd
03-29-2014, 07:21 PM
My daughter calls this dad's treasure chest. I have every piece of crap I ever found. Ha Ha

del
03-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Quit flossin' Rob! Hahah.

Dan, since you are giving photo lessons, can you answer if this like the American Detectorist version of a selfie?

It could be Jim but as far as i remember Rob is not that blurry in person :lol:

My daughter calls this dad's treasure chest. I have every piece of crap I ever found. Ha Ha

Hey Mark sutcliffe was a member of my detecting club , nice of you to go to that Todd.

tanacat
03-31-2014, 08:26 AM
Great displays Todd & Rob!!! I love the big case in your office :thumbsup02: Good idea to strike conversation and score some new sites!

I use display cases w/the glass lids and have them separated into various relics: tokens, military, toys, buttons, old jewelry, newer jewelry...
Coins are kept in sleeves and binder :) I need to take some pics.

Digger Don
04-04-2014, 07:51 AM
I put my coins in 2x2 holders, then put them in a book. Everything else ends up in a box

giant056
04-04-2014, 09:46 AM
Here's where I been putting my silvers for the past several years and also many of them are in books. I've got a half gallon fruit jar jug full of wheats along with a quart and pint Milk bottles full. I've got most of my silver jewelry etc. in a Mason's 1858 jar that I found detecting. The jar with these silvers I found when I was probably 14 or 15 years old collecting bottles.