PDA

View Full Version : Who has tried looking for their local treasure legends?

MangoAve
03-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Ok, So who on here has actually looked for a lost legend for their state (or an adjacent state) and brought a detector out to look for it? [Does it make you feel like Mikey in the Goonies? lmao].

giant056
03-21-2014, 06:53 AM
I've tried before but the properties that I would've liked to hunt were off limits because of the no trespassing signs and impossible to gain permission after trying. One that I really want to hunt is out in a town about 20 miles from here where there was an 1899 bank robbery and there was a whole bank bag stashed full of uncirculated 1899 indian head cents but the owner of the property by no means will allow anyone to detect on his property.

RobW
03-21-2014, 09:03 AM
I have looked for 2.....

1) a Civil War train robbery in the town that I grew up in where the Confederate troops stole the payroll that was in gold. Some coins had been recovered over the years, but the bulk was still missing.

2) A client that I had, had a property that a supposed mobster had lived in, and there were stories of him burying cash in the yard...we looked for it to no avail......

The Rebel
03-21-2014, 11:56 AM
I've always dreamed of finding Capt. Kidds treasure out on Charles Island since I was a kid.

MangoAve
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Rebel,
Check into more infomation about it. There wasn't just Charle's island listed in the stories about him. But, they are all on islands. You need to rent a boat to get to any of them. (Well, Charle's island is said to have sand bar access, and Kidd's island maybe with a hot dry summer you can walk across? idk how deep it is there).

The Rebel
03-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Rebel,
Check into more infomation about it. There wasn't just Charle's island listed in the stories about him. But, they are all on islands. You need to rent a boat to get to any of them. (Well, Charle's island is said to have sand bar access, and Kidd's island maybe with a hot dry summer you can walk across? idk how deep it is there).

I live pretty close to Milford. Went out on the sandbar when I was a kid with my grandfather to the island back in the late 70's. Lots of cool artifacts to be found out there but also a ton of trash.

The bar is VERY dangerous as there is a wicked current that goes thru there and a lot of people have been caught when the tide comes in and ended up drowning.

Trapster
03-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Ive heard rumors of John Brown stashing some of his loot on the mountain next to my house but havent been able to search the area yet.I also cant find any info on this other than what was told to me by an older fellow who is now gone,so maybe there is nothing to it but I am going to look.:detecting:

coinnut
03-22-2014, 10:21 PM
I used to have a buddy that looked for all kinds of local treasure. I went with him a couple of times. We never found it but I do remember being waist high in a small river thinking "why aren't we walking the shore". That was it for me:lol:

NJJOSH
03-23-2014, 04:58 PM
I have not looked for any i have done some racing on some close by though. I also literally just finished watching goonies 15 minutes ago:lolsign:

MangoAve
03-24-2014, 06:59 AM
I used to have a buddy that looked for all kinds of local treasure. I went with him a couple of times. We never found it but I do remember being waist high in a small river thinking "why aren't we walking the shore". That was it for me:lol:

Haha. I was wondering about that concept. The pirate treasures, say like Captain Kidd, there is one in Oak Island and one on Charles Island. They are said to be buried deep. Deeper than the water table. How can they dig in a hole that keeps filling with water with only a shovel or any 'primitive' equipment in the 1600s and 1700s and bury the treasure below that? The chest, if it's made out of anything but gold or rock, then it would deteriorate. Most likely if there was something near the river for the one you went on, it was probably on the shore but less than 5ft below the soil.

Skamaniac
03-24-2014, 03:38 PM
There is local rumor around these parts. I think I have a good chance of obtaining permission to search the area later this spring or summer. If I find the treasure you will know by my posts suddenly originating from the coast of Spain or some other warm place.

MangoAve
03-26-2014, 02:16 PM
I think I found out the Windham burning in CT is real. However, not having searched the area I now found it would be, or Windham at all for that matter, I cannot confirm that there are any riches buried. But there is an area that is abandoned.

tanacat
03-28-2014, 08:52 AM
I've been searching for John Hunt Morgan's confederate gold for a while now :)

CTTodd
03-29-2014, 06:55 PM
I've looked for a local one called pedi bones cash a few times on an estate near me. No luck yet I'll let you know if it ever works out.