PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with 1147SILVER and DEL

coinnut
03-21-2014, 03:31 PM
Steve (1147SILVER), asked Dan and me to join him on some old cellar hole hunting.:thinkingabout::thinkingabout::thinkingabo ut:Of course we will :lol: But little did any of us know the snow in this area was not gone. It has anywhere from 3" to 7" depending on where you went:girlcry: Plus at the "Tavern" cellar hole, the ground was still frozen to 3" in most spots. We made the best of it and did get our weekly exercise walking around. We will be back there when it thaws. Wasn't a complete wash though. I found a nicely engraved piece which I thought was a pocket watch back. When I got home, I realized it is more likely a real nice rosette.:clapping: Cool looking lion stompin' on some leaves and something else I can't figure out. Hey, isn't a lion a symbol of royalty? Must have been some horse that went on. Found a couple of other trinkets and one really squashed musket ball. Thanks Steve for letting us tag along on your adventures. :beerbuddy:

Tony Two-Cent
03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
It almost appears as though that animal has hooves and horns, could it be a buffalo?

Very cool find, whatever it is! :thumbsup02:

Definitely a site to hit again after the snow melts and the ground thaws! :yes:

coinnut
03-21-2014, 04:29 PM
It almost appears as though that animal has hooves and horns, could it be a buffalo?

Maybe it's a horse / lion combo :lol: I think all of it looks like a lion to me, minus the hooves :lol: Maybe some colonial artistic liberty since it was going on a horse :dontknow:

Tony Two-Cent
03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
It reminds me of that goofy looking buffalo that is on the state seal of Indiana:

http://www.onlinepoker.net/poker-news/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Indianaseal.jpg

coinnut
03-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Wow it does :lol: Who does those things?

coinnut
03-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Hey Tony, I think it look like you can make out some horns on the very front of the head. I guess it's definitely not a lion :lol: Good call.

OxShoeDrew
03-21-2014, 07:30 PM
I know that bottle cap made your heart palpitate at a colonial site.
I bet you call the shot gun shells before digging them, but once in a while:daydream:
That is one fancy rosette George. That site will start producing big time when the snow melts....should be by August. :lol:

del
03-21-2014, 07:55 PM
who said lion??? hey that will teach you to show me something when I'm not wearing my glasses:rofl: the image is very nice on it and looks even better reversed imaged.

coinnut
03-21-2014, 08:17 PM
I know that bottle cap made your heart palpitate at a colonial site.
I bet you call the shot gun shells before digging them, but once in a while:daydream:
That is one fancy rosette George. That site will start producing big time when the snow melts....should be by August. :lol:

Any signal makes the heart skip a beat at these sites :lol: All built between the early to mid 1700's. But a gold looking one makes you take notice. But I knew with my luck it can not be real. :crying02: August is about right in our next visit.

who said lion??? hey that will teach you to show me something when I'm not wearing my glasses:rofl: the image is very nice on it and looks even better reversed imaged.

You said it was a giraffe :hystericallaugh:I think we are both blind ;) It does show up better reversed. But what the heck is the zigzag looking stuff below it?

Full Metal Digger
03-21-2014, 08:18 PM
It looks like a buffalo riding a bolt of lightning. The thundering herd perhaps?

coinnut
03-21-2014, 08:20 PM
It looks like a buffalo riding a bolt of lightning. The thundering herd perhaps?

Sounds good to me :clapping:

coinnut
03-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Now I'm wondering if it is even a rosette? It may well be a clock pendulum or even some other decorative piece. It would be really shallow for a rosette, but given the dates of these sites, I'm not sure how deep the rosettes would have been back then. :dontknow: It is a mix of lead, but hard to scratch. Here is a picture of the back. The part that is missing lines up with the thunderbolt on the flip side. But I have no second mounting place that would be needed for a rosette. The alignment would be correct for a strap to pass through it if I had the top mount to it.

del
03-21-2014, 09:37 PM
yeah i see the Giraffe now :bananadance:

Bell-Two
03-22-2014, 08:29 AM
Well whatever it is I think it is cool...especially since it was found under the snow... :hystericallaugh:

del
03-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Well whatever it is I think it is cool...especially since it was found under the snow... :hystericallaugh:

lots of snow Tony :hairpulling:we were hoping it would of been just patches of snow but the whole area was blanketed in about 6 to 8 inches, only the very steep southern slopes were lightly or cleared. the good news is Steve gave us a "raincheck" or a another invite when the snow does clear.

Steve we appreciate and look forward to the return of that area. :cheering:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-22-2014, 08:18 PM
it's a bison jumping over a river with trees along side river

Timewarpdigger
03-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Congrats on the finds.