PDA

View Full Version : You never know about people

lenjsr
03-21-2014, 07:15 PM
I was on a site that was bulldozed and had no postings in Tucson the other day, I had hunted it several times before and found no coins. It has a lot of slaw and junk in it. In one area I changed up my settings and went extremely slow, I hit 4 wheats in a row in a small patch. Now starting to fell like silver is coming.. Well I hear yelling and turn around and an older lady is yelling at me to get off the property, I politely complied immediately. I tried to talk to her but she would have none of it. So I moved to a location up the rd I had permission to hunt. wheats were all 40's and 20's.

I am there about two minute's and a pickup pulls up and I here someone again, I turn around and it is an old gentleman. He signals me to come over and I comply, He asks what I was doing on his property, I explained to him I was just looking for old artifacts. He asked if it was a hobby, I told him yes I just like to find old buried history. He told me he was in a dispute with his neighbor over the property line and his sister thought I was surveying the location.

I again stated my purpose, he was interested in the hobby. He asked me what type of things I find and I told him of them. I then asked him if he would mind if I went back, He was hesitant so I gave him a business card I have for metal detecting and told him if he thinks about it and decides I can give me a call. So we talked about history and he told me of the one old building on the site being an old train station that Wyatt Earp once was in. He then asked me if I would tae a trip with him to locate a buried cashe his great grand father buried when the confederate army approached.

He is going to go over his papers and call me to take the trip.. what the heck why not.. He is very storied and has a long past in AZ, his family was well connected to DC politicians in the early 1800's ..

I think he will let me back on eventually, SILVER is calling :grin:

coinnut
03-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Some days it's just not your day. :lol: Lucky you did not try a third place. :shocked04: But offering to help him goes a long way. But be prepared for a possible wild goose chase. Them family stories can lose some details over he years. First question I would ask him would be "is this your property" :lol: Cause I don't need another old lady yelling at me again ;) He may be of help to you getting some permissions in the future.

del
03-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Sounds like the yelling old lady could of been a blessing in disguise if the new contact calls you back .:crossfingers: lets hope

OxShoeDrew
03-21-2014, 09:35 PM
If you had permission at the second site why did the guy drive up and ask you what you were doing on his property?
And before that, at the first site, what did you try to say to the lady who was telling you to get off her property?
I'm not judging your actions, I'm just confused.

MangoAve
03-22-2014, 11:51 AM
I had something yesterday too. The place where I went is definitely not private property. It is an old road. Explain how google maps has street view all the way down if it is only a private driveway? Most of it isn't paved so I went as far as I could because I didn't wanna get stuck in the mud. I had parked the car literally just off the road into a little clearing in between the corn fields; the 'road' the for tractors. When I came back, there was an early 90's maroon civic blocking the road. It was just sitting there idling but facing to leave. I took my time putting stuff in the car and then eventually proceeded to try and leave. I came up behind the car. They sat and did nothing for a few min. So I turned off ignition. I was calling someone trying to see if I should approach them. If they are a resident of a near house I would have to argue with them I am not on private property, but they will think they are right. You never know, they could have a weapon, however there would be no way they knew I was there if it was a random car. I didn't want to chance anything. Finally after a bit they left. I think it was a woman and I have no idea what she was doing, except blocking my only exit. And, all I came back with is 27 pieces of trash to throw away. A total bust. Only good thing is if I return, there's less junk to find.

Lowjiber
03-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Nice story. Here's hoping it leads to better and better finds in the near future. :)

lenjsr
03-23-2014, 08:36 PM
Oxview, he came to the second site to talk to me about why I was on the first site (his), as for the women, I just wanted to explain my thoughts on being there and tell her I did not know it a problem, you would have to see the site to understand.... I also wanted to tell her I was sorry t upset her and meant no harm

aloldstuff
03-24-2014, 08:12 AM
Is the old lady married to the old guy?????. thanks for not being mean to either of those people and I hope the old guy does call ya. He sounds very well connected and will be a great source of info.