PDA

View Full Version : sun hunt with old high school buddy* half a mangled copper*need help with ID*1785 CT?

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2014, 01:56 PM
a old high school friend of mine Dave Gough recently got into detecting and we were gonna hit a old yard up near the center of town where I grew up.When we got there at 10 am the whole yard looked like a skating rink :shocked01: umm scratch that idea.we didn't have a plan B so,i suggested we go up to a tiny cellar not far away.I been to this site before and targets were sparse on 2 previous visits but,we decided to give it a shot.
I've never pulled any coppers from this site as I believe it was hit pretty hard by someone many years ago.
the prior visits resulted in a few buttons,a watch winder and a broken piece of shoe buckle frame.
Dave is still learning his machine I sold him a minelab x-terra 305.he nabbed a few smaller caliber round balls,same size as mine and some square nails.i nabbed a couple buttons and the weirdest lookin half copper i've ever dug.I believe it's a 1785 Connecticut copper .as the IN is almost touching the seated lady on reverse.obverse side it smooth.your thoughts Dan & G?

Ronandari
03-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Nice finds there. Not to sound like a smart a**, but I don't think that I have ever seen a square nail in that good of shape. The ones I find are usually rusted blobs. :thumbsup01:

Ron

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Nice finds there. Not to sound like a smart a**, but I don't think that I have ever seen a square nail in that good of shape. The ones I find are usually rusted blobs. :thumbsup01:

Ron
thanks! I have some square nails in way better shape hardly look they were even in the ground.most times they look like yours sound though

Bell-Two
03-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Nice relics and half a Copper is better than none!

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2014, 06:45 PM
besides cutting it in half....what the heck else were they trying to do to it? that has me stumped?

del
03-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Sorry Dave , I can't give you a variety on that ... ah.... maybe ... a third of a copper you got there , definitely a Connecticut , Vermont or counterfiet.

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Sorry Dave , I can't give you a variety on that ... ah.... maybe ... a third of a copper you got there , definitely a Connecticut , Vermont or counterfiet.
def not a counterfeit rang high on air test.i looked at vt's seems none of the I's come that close to the seated woman,only one i see that comes that close is a 1785 Connecticut.i counted it as half.as you can see it on top of the hibernia it's pretty close to half

Timewarpdigger
03-23-2014, 08:41 PM
Interesting finds and very unusual. Congrats

aloldstuff
03-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Nice that you got a piece of a copper from that site. Hope your HS friend gets as hooked as you.

coinnut
03-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Wow that is some mangled copper :shocked04: The pic you have of it matching the GeoIII obverse....isn't your coin the reverse of the copper not the obverse. The IN showing should be the INDE on the reverse side? or am I just seeing things. If it's the reverse, you may have enough of the arm showing it's position for Don to give you a possible date to it.

don in ny
03-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Can't quite tell from the photo, but it appears to be a series of dots in the punctuation that is similar to the 1785 CT's. Can't tell for sure from the pic. Got any other pics of the other side? Here's the punctuation I'm referring to. 37620

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Can't quite tell from the photo, but it appears to be a series of dots in the punctuation that is similar to the 1785 CT's. Can't tell for sure from the pic. Got any other pics of the other side? Here's the punctuation I'm referring to. 37620
don the obverse is shot smooth,the reverse is the key here

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-25-2014, 12:22 PM
Wow that is some mangled copper :shocked04: The pic you have of it matching the GeoIII obverse....isn't your coin the reverse of the copper not the obverse. The IN showing should be the INDE on the reverse side? or am I just seeing things. If it's the reverse, you may have enough of the arm showing it's position for Don to give you a possible date to it.
yes G the CT is the obverse side showing.im saying 1785 :teasing:

The Rebel
03-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Hey at least you got another copper and some other goodies.

I was out on Sun and it was a total bust except 2 pewter spoon bowls and a nub of a pewter button .....:disgusted::mad:

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Don I cleaned it up a bit more.best I can do for you.obverse is toast but you can clearly see the IN and how close it is on reverse

HEAVYMETALNUT
03-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Don on a side note...I have a friend in south Jersey his user name on another forum is DonSJ who is good at Identification as well sent me this message on facebook.
Don Hartman (https://www.facebook.com/don.hartman.71)Looking at the branch leafs, looks too tall for any 1785, also the arm seems to angle more than the 1785s, may start looking at other possibilities, sending you a pm

Don Hartman (https://www.facebook.com/don.hartman.71)Interesting cut one, not sure what caused the cutout, don't look bullet to me. Anyway, having trouble seeing, may ask a friend on this one. Eyes are shot, just got scheduled yesterday for Cataract surgery, both eyes May 28 and June 4th, sucks getting old.........Going to download your photo, play with it a bit and may show to one or two of my CT expert friends if I give up.