PDA

View Full Version : Curious if anyone knows what these are.

MangoAve
03-24-2014, 08:48 AM
I found these in a park that has been around since the 1700's. Since then, the park now has a baseball diamond and concession stand. Obviously I was hoping to find older coins, but I only found loose change. But while searching one coin I stumbled upon one piece that is wooden. Small 1/2" square with a piece of what looks like rubber on the back. Quite sure its junk but I have no clue what is is. The second is brass. Looks to me like it would be a spike on a uniform or belt. There are two spike tabs on the back. Both items were only 4 or so inches deep. I put an uncleaned dime to show size.

Tony Two-Cent
03-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I don't know what the wooden object is, but the other one is a stud that would have adorned a leather jacket, belt, wristband, etc.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0228/2373/products/VEST-DETAIL_grande.jpg?v=1367348966

coinnut
03-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Was that you detecting a park by the highway the other day. I saw someone detecting but couldn't stop to say hi. Traffic speeds along there quite fast :lol: Can't help you on the wooden piece either, but unprotected wood does not last very long in the ground. If it were wrapped in copper it can last hundreds of years if its in the right conditions. Tony is correct on the other piece.

MangoAve
03-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Was that you detecting a park by the highway the other day. I saw someone detecting but couldn't stop to say hi. Traffic speeds along there quite fast :lol: Can't help you on the wooden piece either, but unprotected wood does not last very long in the ground. If it were wrapped in copper it can last hundreds of years if its in the right conditions. Tony is correct on the other piece.

I was in CT. No highway near the park. Although way across the park there were skateboarders that eventually got into their cars, a mustang and a rice burner, and were trying to show off peeling out and driving fast down the one lane road. Are you saying you were one of them? :hystericallaugh:hahah.

Thanks Tony. I figured most likely it was such, but was thinking it could have been from a uniform if not from leather jacket/belt. The wood, I am lost as well. Maybe part of a toy? Best guess.

Tom
03-24-2014, 05:55 PM
The wooden thing looks like some kind of a rubber stamp used with ink maybe? Hard to tell from the picture.

coinnut
03-24-2014, 07:15 PM
I was in CT. No highway near the park. Although way across the park there were skateboarders that eventually got into their cars, a mustang and a rice burner, and were trying to show off peeling out and driving fast down the one lane road. Are you saying you were one of them? :hystericallaugh:hahah.

Not me :lol: I wouldn't want either of those. Not quite what I like to drive.

lee
03-25-2014, 03:06 AM
thats right, coinnut is in his later years and prefers a softer ride.......im think lexus.......ahhhhh like driving in warm wallpaper paste....lol

coinnut
03-25-2014, 06:08 AM
thats right, coinnut is in his later years and prefers a softer ride.......im think lexus.......ahhhhh like driving in warm wallpaper paste....lol

Tricycle. :lol: Going back to my childhood.

MangoAve
03-25-2014, 06:27 AM
The wooden thing looks like some kind of a rubber stamp used with ink maybe? Hard to tell from the picture.

Yes, I checked and it's definitely hard rubber. It was breaking apart when I pulled it out of the ground but now washing it with water and drying it, it's no longer falling apart.

Tricycle. :lol: Going back to my childhood.

Tricycle? No pimped-out big wheel? :cool:

coinnut
03-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Tricycle? No pimped-out big wheel? :cool:

No big wheels for me. I was lucky to have a tricycle.:shocked01:

MangoAve
03-25-2014, 01:29 PM
This was not you? Man....37623

del
03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
He's only like that to me when he's found something good at a hunt.:lol:

coinnut
03-25-2014, 07:14 PM
He's only like that to me when he's found something good at a hunt.:lol:

I guess I'm like that a lot :lol: How did we drift to this?:shocked01::confused: