PDA

View Full Version : Rare dig with full vids... Worth watching!

Beefcake
05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
I wanted to hunt last night, so I called a buddy of mine to see if he wanted to come along. I first hunted this site with another detectorist who found the site, but no longer hunts. I haven't hunted it in a couple of years and he pounded it with his DFX pretty good. It was a site that held a one room school house that was tore down 3 years ago...In the past, I didn't find ANYTHING there! I figured I'd give it another try with my E-trac to see what I missed... Boy did we miss some goodies with the DFX's. Tim and I both use E-tracs...even though I referred to my detector as a DFX..lol Old habits are hard to break I guess. This hunt started out great...ended PHENOMENAL!!! Don't miss Part Two for the grand finale... We were both getting ready to leave and head back to the car when the BIG ONE hit... I've never seen one of these dug on video, so it was really cool to video Tim finding it... Wish it were me! Both of us had great hunts and we were both smiling at the end. Here's the vids...enjoy!
Schoolhouse part 1.mp4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHcMb2OIYJs#)

Schoolhouse part2.mp4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WRw22Z5v8#)

CyberSage
05-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Holy cow! What a great hunt. That's just awesome. Nice Video's Beef. Just a dream hunt if I ever saw one. This gets me motivated for the holiday weekend. Let me know if you need another hunting buddy. lol Thanks for sharing.

Keep Swing'in
Jack

Beefcake
05-26-2010, 11:16 PM
One of these days buddy! I'd love to hunt with you!

Cheap Thrills
05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
That is one GREAT hunt !! Good job guys , any one of those coins would have been a great hunt by itself . All in fantastic shape too . That is one of the nicest conditioned Indians I have seen come out of the dirt . The few I have found out here on the west coast have all been pretty oxidized . I have never seen a video that had a Silver dollar found in it at the time it was dug , bet you're glad you had the camera's and they didn't malfunction at the most critical of times like they sometimes do . Yeah , those videos got me all charged up !! thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Baba

Ill Digger
05-27-2010, 12:39 AM
:shocked04: UNBELIEVABLE !!! :shocked04:stretcher:
It would take a Morgan out shine a Barber Quarter. Which is awesome in it's self !! :drool:
You boys had an outstanding hunt!!
I know thats pretty tough to swallow Bri. But at least you were there to witness it comin' out of the ground.
That's just cool to be around when it's happening. And I know your truly happy for your buddy. The next one will be yours ;)
Congrats to both of ya!! :grin:

toehead
05-27-2010, 05:56 AM
:drool: Truly amazing!! <:

Lowjiber
05-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Nice vids Brian.

That Morgan find is incredible.

Congrats to both of you. :yes:

coinnut
05-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Hey BC, That is one great hunt. I guess there was silver hiding there after all? lol I bet you guys find more there. It's too good of a location not to have more hiding there somewhere. Nice finds and glad you got to film them.

hobbes_lives
05-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I bet your guys' hearts were racing on that one! Nice digs, and nice video Brian!

coinnut
05-27-2010, 04:08 PM
It truly confused us at first... I've never seen a Morgan come out of the ground and we were both caught off guard we invented the ever elusive Barber Dollar! LOL

You also invented that Minelab DFX lol :poke:

tanacat
05-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Wow! Thanks for taking us on that journey with you.

Beautiful Morgan :loveit: congrats to Tim and you did really good too!

Btw I can't help but share that I recently rolled my clad and bought an 1895 Morgan lol

SeabeeRon
05-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Wowzer Brian!!! :shocked04: :shocked04:stretcher: :twirlingeyes: I think I may move to Ohio!! :loveit: You deserve it buddy!! :beerbuddy:

moseng
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
So, when are you going back to find that seated half? Congrats to you and your buddy!

Epi-hunter
05-27-2010, 07:46 PM
So Brian, how are you liking that E-Trac by now? lol thumbsup01

Fantastic finds!!! Will be hard to beat that hunt!

Schrecky
05-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Great finds Brian and thanks for posting the video's.

xzlr8n
05-27-2010, 08:33 PM
That was some really great stuff :twirlingeyes: I watched you two pull out of the ground. Thanks for posting such a great video!! I can't wait for sequel, I bet you cannot wait to get back there!!! Congrats thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Beefcake
05-27-2010, 08:51 PM
You know the strange thing... I talked to Tim tonight to find out what program he was running. He is using the basic +3 auto, factory program. I told him about that in air test, you can't get a morgan to register on the factory coin program without opening up that corner in the disc. He didn't know that...I asked what it rang up as... he said it was a 12-46 like a quarter... Only thing I can figure is that since it was at least 9 deep and big it rang up as a quarter at 5 on his machine. I took a morgan that I had out in the yard tonight and opened up my top right corner and it rings up as a 1-44... He really got lucky on that one..good thing it was so deep.

I've got a question though... I'm not seeing more than 7-8 from the coil on dimes and quarters doing an air test... Should I be getting deeper results? or does the air test not act the same for depth as it does when they are in the ground? Has anyone noticed this? I am deadly to about 6 or 7 out on a hunt, but I haven't dug anything really deep yet like some of the stories I've seen... I have been just hunting the coin program, +3, auto sens, and deep off, deep fast off... I made another program tonight that opened up the right corner, kept +3, kept auto, turned deep on, and turned deep fast on... I wonder if this will help?

Epi-hunter
05-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Brian... the really deep coins (dimes) don't sound like those at 6 or 7 that you can easily recognize. I wish I could write it in a way to make it clear but I can't. They do NOT sound the same, nor do they look good on the meter, especially the FE number, but they sound good yet quite different from the more shallow 6-7 silver. Nowhere near as prominent, yet when you isolate the tone you can tell. It's just tough to isolate it, because you have to swing SO slowly to catch it and you have to hear that high pitch and read through the jumpy FE numbers.

I feel your pain. I would never have dug those 11 silver dimes but for the opportunity to detect with someone much more experienced than I was. I wish I could replicate it for you. The machine really does well on deep silver but you have to know what to listen for.

I still need lessons on what to listen for among trash.

Air tests are nothing close to what you will hear with deep coins in the ground. Not in my experience with this machine.

coinnut
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
On Minelabs the air tests are very inacurate. If I remember correctly, this has something to do with a separate channel that just track the ground. If that channel doesn't see the ground it may not report correctly. That is why you never have to ground balance a Minelab. Don't confuse it with noise cancel which is mostly for EMI and has nothing to do with the machine seeing the ground. I don't know if that is technically correct but in general that's what it does. You will probably never get a real deep small coin in auto +3 unless your soil is just right. Your buddy got the silver dollar only because it was deep and skewing the numbers. Add the fact that it could have been slightly angled and had some other junk metal next to it and the numbers could have gotten skewed to the normal small silver range. If you want depth, you must go manual as high as you can take it and find those elusive targets. Angie is correct. It's not a solid 5 deep silver hit at first. You must find it, suttle as it may be, then isolate it in short slow swings and it will come in better. Forget the numbers at that point, just go by sound. Some times the numbers will bounce to that silver range and then go elsewhere. That's the best way I can put it. But if you dig an iffy target and you get your probe close enough to it in the hole, it will sing, sing, sing lol

Epi-hunter
05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Yes, good point that George made. If you can switch from auto +3 to manual, do so. You can see what the recommendation for the sensitivity is, but still switch to manual and push it if you can and if you find that the machine is stable. I have almost always found that I can use manual sensitivity way past what the auto + 3 or the recommendation gives me, and the machine still is very stable.

hobbes_lives
05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
The info you guys are providing in this thread about deep targets would make a great sticky in the Minelab forum. It'd be good to hear Angel's take on it too. :yes:

angellionel
05-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I have been just hunting the coin program, +3, auto sens, and deep off, deep fast off...

Work with manual sensitivity, and turn 'Recovery Deep' to on. I have performed plenty of tests on deep targets before digging them, and using Auto Sensitivity +3 did not provide the signal and tone strength I wanted, whereas on manual sensitivity - set at 28 or 29 - the deep targets, 8+ inches, where much easier to discern. I do use Auto Sensitivity when working highly trashy areas, since for me depth is not the main concern there.

incomenet
05-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Great finds and very nice video. thumbsup01 Love to see finds like that in Ohio, gives me hope. :drool:

z118
05-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Sick find Beefcake. Just amazing! I can not even imagine maknig finds like that!

I very much want to upgrade to the Etrac but I really find conversations like the one above intimidating. What I like so much about the Sov is that the only adjustment I ever make is to sensitivity.

tanacat
05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
I very much want to upgrade to the Etrac but I really find conversations like the one above intimidating.

So I'm not the only one lol Good incentive to learn - to speak a new language ;)

I have a good book on the workings and custom programs for my XLT but haven't read a whole lot yet. It's amazing, the technology of metal detectors!

Beefcake
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
It's really not that intimidating. These are questions that start to pop up when you start to get a little more comfortable with the machine. Honestly, you can find really great coins without making any adjustments at all... I haven't tweeked mine other than using the coins program and I've found 21 silver coins with it in 2 months. I came from whites, so the language is different, but now the white's language is almost foreign to me... I don't regret taking the chance at all. I had the same questions once I got comfortable with the DFX too... you just want to get the maximum capability out of the machine...but first you have to get good with the signals.

HEAVYMETALNUT
05-28-2010, 06:25 PM
sweet! what a great hunt and i got a chuckle watching you guys! thumbsup01

Beefcake
05-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah... it was pretty funny... A morgan dollar sure can pull the rug out from under an indian find that's for sure! He's fun to hunt with. We work well together as a researching team. A couple months ago, I kept seeing this guy on the videos and he was at most of the spots I hunt... figured we might as well join forces because we were mirroring one another anyway.

Hook
05-29-2010, 10:20 PM
agreat video with some awesome coins found...congrats Beef! i dont know where you're located in Ohio, but when i was there last year for a while,..just west of Toledo, i located a few old sites that you could probably scoop up some good silver with your e-trac.