PDA

View Full Version : Need a new search coil for my V3i as my stock 10DD coil went bad. Any suggestions?

zrickkid
03-25-2014, 05:46 PM
My 10"DD stock V3 coil finally crapped out. Whites guy Tony at electronic exploration is just up the road a mile or two and he confirmed it. So....i was thinking of the 12" or the 8x14". I already have the 4x6 shooter coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hunt a lot of older parks and wooded areas and I just recently started to hunt more on older homes on private property. Let me know what you Whites guys think!!:)

KCFindIt
03-25-2014, 05:51 PM
I'm too new to know anything about the coils, but I'm sure interested in knowing what the experts think!

freemindstuck
03-25-2014, 06:55 PM
My 10"DD stock V3 coil finally crapped out. Whites guy Tony at electronic exploration is just up the road a mile or two and he confirmed it. So....i was thinking of the 12" or the 8x14". I already have the 4x6 shooter coil. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hunt a lot of older parks and wooded areas and I just recently started to hunt more on older homes on private property. Let me know what you Whites guys think!!:)

I hunt with a v3i. I like the smaller coils. Most of the sites I hunt are to junky for such large coils. The slight increase in depth is more then offset by the iron masking you will encounter with a big coil. The manufacturers keep offering larger and larger coils almost like they are super sizing happy meals. I do have a 12 inch coil but find myself only using it when I'm field hunting in relatively target scarce ground.
If it were me I would buy a 6x10 eclipse or a detech 6x8 sef, or I might just replace it with another stock 10"DD since this coil definitely has a place in my arsenal.

The Rebel
03-25-2014, 07:12 PM
I'd go with the Eclipse DD (6x10) coil + cover.

coinnut
03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
10x12 SEF

del
03-25-2014, 07:31 PM
yeah stay away of the whites 8x14 its a "boat anchor" and probably the worst coil they ever produced. I'd go with the 10x12 sef or 8x6 sef .

Ronandari
03-25-2014, 07:32 PM
I am no expert but my experience was that the 10DD was a pretty good coil but I went through two of them. I had very poor luck with the 6x9. At the moment I only use my 6x8 SEF and the 10x12 SEF which have really impressed me with their depth and separation. Good luck with your decision.

Ron

coinnut
03-25-2014, 08:03 PM
. At the moment I only use my 6x8 SEF and the 10x12 SEF which have really impressed me with their depth and separation.

Ron

And their durability too. SEF coils are one of the nicest aftermarket coils I have ever used.

zrickkid
03-25-2014, 11:23 PM
So on the SEF coils particularly the 6x8 or 10x12 if you guys had to choose one which would it be.

del
03-26-2014, 03:00 AM
for me that would depend on if i hit the more trashier places or wide open fields / beaches where the trash levels are a little less busy.

MangoAve
03-26-2014, 06:55 AM
for me that would depend on if i hit the more trashier places or wide open fields / beaches where the trash levels are a little less busy.

Not saying from my experience (because I and a noob), but other sites agree with Dan. Relic hunting or field hunting go with the bigger. Trashier places use the smaller. But can it be explained how coils crap out? They are coils of wire with no electronics. I have worked with coil based sensors, but the cause of their demise was temperature. It's continually operating at 80-100C so it's over time that it dies. The faulty ones will still work at 25C, but fail hot. For MD, is it just the connector or wire between that opens up from stress like extending/retracting the arm for storage? Otherwise I cannot fathom how it stops functioning unless it's poorly consctructed. The coils should not shift. They are low power. It's characteristics shouldn't change over time.

Ronandari
03-26-2014, 09:38 AM
I typically use the 6x8 in most applications except for field hunting where I need the extra depth and have less targets. Your choice will depend on your use of course but eventually you will likely end up with multiple coils to cover all of your types hunting. No single coil will be the best for all applications. Personally I have 5 coils for my VX3 although most aren't used very often.

Ron

coinnut
03-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Not saying from my experience (because I and a noob), but other sites agree with Dan. Relic hunting or field hunting go with the bigger. Trashier places use the smaller. But can it be explained how coils crap out? They are coils of wire with no electronics. I have worked with coil based sensors, but the cause of their demise was temperature. It's continually operating at 80-100C so it's over time that it dies. The faulty ones will still work at 25C, but fail hot. For MD, is it just the connector or wire between that opens up from stress like extending/retracting the arm for storage? Otherwise I cannot fathom how it stops functioning unless it's poorly consctructed. The coils should not shift. They are low power. It's characteristics shouldn't change over time.

It's usually cheap or incorrect construction materials that makes coils go bad. It really comes down to the coils shifting and getting out of the tolerance that they need to perform in, for the machine not to false. There have been some issues with the epoxy that was used and temperature changes. Also there have been some shielding concerns on some manufactures coils. I remember busting open old coils way back before resins were used in them. The coils were held in place with masking tape :shocked04:. Bump that coil a you have some issues.

MangoAve
03-26-2014, 11:02 AM
I guess that sums it up. As I used with my example, the epoxy was an issue as it didn't stand up to the high temperature for extended use. There was still 13,000 hours MTBF on those. The prices they charge for coils, there should be better construction. Coils used as humbuckers in guitars, they put forth a fair amount of effort into design and sheilding purposes and using special winding techniques and materials like alnico. I knew old AM radios had issues with their inductors changing shape, again, the only design available. I assumed they were rugged now-a-days and well, connectors are the issue with most electronics 8 of 10 times.

Tom
03-26-2014, 11:53 AM

I would like to be enlightened on this as well, as far as a Problem that Whites had with their 10DD they blamed it on bad epoxy??? Not totally sure what that's supposed to mean but I believe it holds the coils in place! I know I used to tune microwave circuits by adjusting the coil loops and then foaming them in place. Maybe it is something similar???????

coinnut
03-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I would like to be enlightened on this as well, as far as a Problem that Whites had with their 10DD they blamed it on bad epoxy??? Not totally sure what that's supposed to mean but I believe it holds the coils in place! I know I used to tune microwave circuits by adjusting the coil loops and then foaming them in place. Maybe it is something similar???????

I think it is. Carl usually chimes in on these things. I'm thinking they could move (expand) when the coil was too hot from absorbing sunlight. Coils used to be white, but changed to black. That extra absorption, along with the wrong epoxy for those circumstances, may have caused the problems.

Tom
03-26-2014, 02:07 PM
I think it is. Carl usually chimes in on these things. I'm thinking they could move (expand) when the coil was too hot from absorbing sunlight. Coils used to be white, but changed to black. That extra absorption, along with the wrong epoxy for those circumstances, may have caused the problems.

I hope that Carl see's this then and offers his expert opinion. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

gabby
05-14-2014, 08:58 AM
http://www.whiteselectronics.com/eclipse-dd-6x10-search-coil
I sure like my 6x10. Lighter than the 10DD and a little more precise. Depth might be a little less, but I still have found alot of great finds with it.
It is my coil of choice on fresh water beaches...where I don't need to go half way to china.:)

Tom
05-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Still hoping that "Carl" might pop in and offer a bit of knowledge on why the 10D2 coils failed so often and still continue too!

I just sent my D2 back again, now on my 3rd coil so far, have only owned my V3i for 7 months!

I don't have a very warm fuzzy feeling about this at all.

:bangahead02::bangahead02::bangahead02:

del
05-14-2014, 01:27 PM
Still hoping that "Carl" might pop in and offer a bit of knowledge on why the 10D2 coils failed so often and still continue too!

I just sent my D2 back again, now on my 3rd coil so far, have only owned my V3i for 7 months!

I don't have a very warm fuzzy feeling about this at all.

:bangahead02::bangahead02::bangahead02:

Whites admitting there's a problem or defect to one of its products or offering an explanation ?? Tom , don't hold your breath ....

Tom
05-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Whites admitting there's a problem or defect to one of its products or offering an explanation ?? Tom , don't hold your breath ....

Ya, I suppose your right!
I have more respect for folks who own there mistakes, right or wrong.
But manufactures don't play by the same set of morals.
I guess the fact they keep swapping the bad coils out no charge will have to be good enough.
The tech in me just wants to know what went wrong, curiosity is all.
And please no bad jokes about that unfortunate cat!

del
05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Ya, I suppose your right!
I have more respect for folks who own there mistakes, right or wrong.
But manufactures don't play by the same set of morals.
I guess the fact they keep swapping the bad coils out no charge will have to be good enough.
The tech in me just wants to know what went wrong, curiosity is all.
And please no bad jokes about that unfortunate cat!

I couldn't agree more Tom , everyone can make mistakes but taking the responsibility and owning up to them , making it right takes great character. its a numbers game with money being the bottom line to corporations though , I've heard many reasons as to what went wrong with their coils and I'm sure one of them may be true but they will never admit it , they don't want our respect just our money Tom , its unfortunate but they all do.

giant056
05-16-2014, 07:03 AM
I know that the early D2 coils were much lighter in construction, when I first got the D2 coil for my MXT (before the V3 came out) it was actually stamped with the V so I'm sure it was designed specifically for their upcoming "Vision" which was out soon after the D2. I still have this coil but it finally went south on me about a year ago and one of these days I'm going to mail it into Whites to see if they can repair it. I suspect the lighter construction was part of the main problem with these coils however I've also seen cases where the heavier ones went bad as well. It's too bad that Whites has never fessed up to what they found the real problem is or hopefully was the problem with this coil. I know that on their forum they say they go out of null, well when they null these coils they should use components with tolerance's tight and a correct way of mounting all the internal components so they don't move. I hope that the D2 that came with my Detector holds up better than my original did, I know that on the original I could press on the bottom of the coil and it would false whereas the later one doesn't do this.

Wisconsin Lockman
06-16-2014, 10:53 PM
My 5.3 Eclipse Coil is on my V3i and stays on. I love the trash separation. I also have the 4x6DD if I need it but never use it. I don't care about digging to China for a coin.

KSHOLLYWOOD
10-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Detec ultimate 13. Kellyco sells them and it works on all 3 frequencies. I bought mine from Blake

CyberSage
10-18-2014, 02:15 PM
I would be surprised if it was nulled correctly. I know they have some SEF coils that come pretty close.

daddyflea
11-23-2014, 10:55 AM
I know this is an old topic but the SEF 8X6 just can not be beat for general use.

Mountaindigger
11-23-2014, 07:04 PM
In very trashy areas the 4X6 eclipse does wonders. I have searched areas with larger coils and re-searched with my 4X6 and found several coins that I missed with the larger coils due to all the trash.

dp4349
01-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I have the 10x12 SEF for 4 months. It's a little big for trashy areas, but is awesome to work with. Looking forward to getting 8x6 SEF.

daddyflea
01-11-2015, 09:39 PM
I have the SEF 8X6 as well and can say it is a great coil. I just wish it was 6" wide and 8" long. I find that often I get more than one target under the coil which causes ID problems. As far as depth, I get better depth out of the SEF 8X6 than I did the stock coil.