PDA

View Full Version : Plasti Dip Garrett Pro Pointer

GreenHat
03-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Well I had seen it talked about... So I said wth..
I had only used my Pro Pointer a few times and was already seeing some scrapes on my new $120.00 magic wand. I have also seen people talking about how they have worn out more than one pointer due to this very thing and I wanted to prevent that from happening. I was also concerned about leaving my pointer somewhere or accidentally dropping it and not being able to find it so when I heard people talking about plasti dipping it, that seemed to solve a lot of problems. I was concerned about it looking like a pinterest project gone wrong or the plasti dip not coming off easily but I gave it a go and I am quite pleased how it came out. Actually surprised.. it came out much better than I thought. I just masked it off sprayed 5 coats (30 min dry time in between) then dressed it up with a razor blade after I finished. Couldn't be any easier. I would recommend it to anyone. This will definitely protect it from abrasion and lengthen the life of the pointer also the plast dip peels of cleanly when you need it to and if you don't like blaze orange it comes in just about any color. Hope this helps anyone thinking about doing it and is apprehensive like I was.
37639 37640

coinnut
03-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Wow that did come out nice :shocked04: Let us know how long it last you before you break trough the layers.

del
03-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Wow that did come out nice :shocked04:

Oh , SNAP you did it now GreenHat .... i can hear the gears turning in Coinnut's head ;) I can see anything i forget in his truck form now on being plasti-dipped in hot pink. :lol:

on a side note you did a great looking job GreenHat:clapping:

seeker77
03-29-2014, 08:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, where can I get "plasti dip", and how much does it cost? Thanks for any info you can provide.

GreenHat
03-29-2014, 09:02 AM
Oh , SNAP you did it now GreenHat .... i can hear the gears turning in Coinnut's head ;) I can see anything i forget in his truck form now on being plasti-dipped in hot pink. :lol:

on a side note you did a great looking job GreenHat:clapping:

Now THAT IS a good idea! Think I am going to bring this idea to my office!

GreenHat
03-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, where can I get "plasti dip", and how much does it cost? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Seeker, (name is fitting of the question :lol:) jjk
You can find it at any hardware store in the paint section. There are 2 types. One is a can that you can dip items into and the other is spray. I used the spray type and both types come in numerous colors. The cost runs from 6-9 dollars. It seems cost is more based on color and certain colors seem to run a few dollars more.

Tom
04-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Nice job, thanks for sharing.

RobW
04-04-2014, 10:02 AM
Does it affect the depth of the pinpointer? Or any other side affects?

I think it's a great idea...I have "misplaced" my pinpointer on more than one occasion in the field

GreenHat
04-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Does it affect the depth of the pinpointer? Or any other side affects?

I think it's a great idea...I have "misplaced" my pinpointer on more than one occasion in the field

None that I notice. I did air tests before and after and no perceptable change. The great thing is, if you don't like it.. it peels off cleanly. I have used it several times now and after a wash it still looks brand new so the material is durable. The spray on type whichis what I used does cry more porous than the dip type, which makes it a little harder to clean but it doesnt bother me. If I ever need to redo it, I will use the dip type for that reason only.

chief5709
04-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Does anyone work at Maker's Mark? ;)

anyways... nice idea!

Who's willing to dip there entire pinpointer???

giant056
04-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Very cool :cool:

RobW
04-04-2014, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=GreenHat;160467] after a wash it still looks brand new......... which makes it a little harder to clean but it doesnt bother me. [QUOTE]

Wash? Clean? :dontknow:....I've never done that with any of my detecting equipment...I think I washed my apron once..I think the mud/dirt is the only thing holding it together!:lol:

But that's good to hear about it not affecting depth...I'm mostly interested in not losing it...one of these times, I'm not going to find it...even with a metal detector...:lol:

jbolf6
04-10-2014, 04:34 PM
I bought a can at Home Depot, $6

Scratch
07-05-2015, 08:39 PM
I can't seem to find a coil cover for my old (blue) Excal 1000. This might be a viable alternative. It might just go on my new AT pro pinpointer, too.

Skamaniac
07-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Somehow I missed this thread when it started. I'm definitely going to do this. I've almost lost my pinpointer in the brush so many times.

bsibiski
08-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Thank you for sharing this GreenHat.......that's a great idea.