PDA

View Full Version : I curse Microsoft

Lodge Scent
03-26-2014, 07:31 AM
Just got a new laptop from my employer. It came with Windows 7 and Office 2013 and for some unknown reason, Microsoft in all their wisdom, decided not to include the Picture Manager anymore. That program made it very easy to crop, resize, etc., my pics of detecting finds. I use Photobucket for posting my finds but I don't find their picture editor to be very useful. Just wondering what software everyone might be using to edit thier photos?

Thanks,

Jeff

MangoAve
03-26-2014, 08:21 AM
I just stuck with the picture manager too for cropping. MSPaint works but it's not as easy. I have seen what the Apple photo editor does with photos and it's amazing the look after fixing. However, I despise the price of Apple and their GUI isn't so user friendly when you are used to all the MS functions.

coinnut
03-26-2014, 10:34 AM
I just use paint, but it lacks some nice features. I take high resolution photos and just use "resize" and change the "pixels" to 800x600 and then close out the picture and say save it. But you get no contrast settings or no ability to rotate the picture a little, just 90 degree at a time :rolleyes: My problem is I need to set up a nice camera stand with the proper lighting.

Tony Two-Cent
03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Here is a link to a free photo editing program that is very popular and easy to use:

http://www.software-watcher.com/listing/123837/IrfanView?did=10940&pid=1&ppd=search,38695312115,irfanview,e,,c,0,,,&gclid=CK3LrenFsL0CFclDMgodTVcA8g

Just click the download button and follow the prompts. Free and easy.

Lodge Scent
03-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks folks. I forgot about Paint.

Tony, I downloaded that program and it looks promising. From the link you had sent I clicked on to the author's website and downloaded from there.

Boulder
03-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Here is a link to a free photo editing program that is very popular and easy to use:

http://www.software-watcher.com/listing/123837/IrfanView?did=10940&pid=1&ppd=search,38695312115,irfanview,e,,c,0,,,&gclid=CK3LrenFsL0CFclDMgodTVcA8g

Just click the download button and follow the prompts. Free and easy.

I agree, IrFanView and VLC Player are two FREE must have programs... :thumbsup01:

freemindstuck
03-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Curse Microsoft for stopping support of XP. I guess I'm going to have to switch my old computers over to linux.

Tom
03-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Curse Microsoft for stopping support of XP. I guess I'm going to have to switch my old computers over to linux.

No need to curse Microsoft for anything in particular, just curse them is fine with me! :happydance02:

BTV Digger
03-31-2014, 10:31 AM
Sorry about your problem. I'm similar to Coinnut in that I just use MSPaint. Let's you save as a .png which is higher quality in general than .jpg etc and is quick and easy, but does lack some of the nicer features other cropping apps have as you allude to. A quality camera with a good zoom and proper lighting also makes a whole world of difference. I myself don't have a great lighting system in my house to take pics and actually place them under the range hood for best results! :)

BTV Digger

Otis Campbell
04-04-2014, 09:41 AM
I use an Ipad, no need to upload to sites, crop with finger tips, I'll never use windows again. Apple really is for me!

giant056
04-04-2014, 11:11 AM
I use paint and a freeware program that's amazing called gimp2 for editing etc., here's a photo I made up of different shots with my camera.

Lodge Scent
04-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I'll check it out. Thanks Giant.

Boulder
04-04-2014, 08:39 PM

You,ve got my vote for linux.
If I could find all the drivers needed for my older Qosmio G35 (my forums and U-Tube machine)
I would already be there.
John. :coffeelaugh:

giant056
04-05-2014, 06:23 AM
You,ve got my vote for linux.
If I could find all the drivers needed for my older Qosmio G35 (my forums and U-Tube machine)
I would already be there.
John. :coffeelaugh:

I've got Linux Mint 16 also on this computer, it's awesome for surfing the internet and pretty much impervious (compared to any Windows) to viruses however they say it's possible but very unlikely. I wouldn't doubt the server for this forum is Linux. The main reason I'm going to try keeping windows XP going is cause I use a lot of 32 bit programs you can't run the same on the newer 64 bit systems. There's even ISO files available for all the XP updates presently but I doubt you'll be able to get them after April 8th.