PDA

View Full Version : new to site.

rick smithtown ny
03-29-2014, 01:19 PM
Hi I'm rick thanks for having me. Anyone from long island area? Always looking for bud to take lead. I seem to only dig trash.

Tom
03-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Welcome Rick, I'm from NE Massachusetts. Whatcha using for a detector(s)?

Digger Don
03-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Hi Rick & Welcome from Northern Illinois.

rick smithtown ny
03-29-2014, 02:32 PM
I use a Whites Coinmaster. I found that after getting P.Od' and throwing it in a brackish river a few times. It just won't die. So until then we are a pair. Also use a Accu-find pointer, seems to do an ok job. Nice softail by the way.

rick smithtown ny
03-29-2014, 02:33 PM
Thank you.

Tom
03-29-2014, 03:31 PM
I have a coinmaster gt, nice detector. Will go a week on ones set of battery's! I enjoy the fatboy, you ride?

del
03-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Hello Rick , welcome to the forum. we do have a few really good members from the Long Island area , glad you join up .

Dan

rick smithtown ny
03-29-2014, 04:03 PM
I have a coinmaster gt, nice detector. Will go a week on ones set of battery's! I enjoy the fatboy, you ride?
Been riding since I was 6 with mini bike. A half dozen others by 18. My first HD around then as well as first club. Just gave up a 09 rocker c. Should have kept my old 94 fat boy. Live and learn. Gave up a 3 pc patch for family, still hurts.

rick smithtown ny
03-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Thank you too. I hope to meet them also.

Timewarpdigger
03-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Welcome Rick and as you can see I'm from LI too. Been detecting less then a year and use a coinmaster gt with a garett pinpointer pro. Also ride have a 07 Goldwing. Do your research for places to hunt it does pay off. I find that you never know how an area will turn out on LI. I have found that the more you keep your coil to the soil the more surprising finds you will dig up. Good luck & HH.

coinnut
03-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Welcome aboard from western MA. :clapping:I recommend patience with you machine :lol: I bought my younger brother a Coinmaster 2 (I think it was called) many years back. I didn't think it would find anything but he wanted to tag along with me when I detected. So we fired it up and swung it under a bush at our parents house. First target - solid hit - an 1864 2 cent piece :shocked03: Not bad for a cheapy machine. You will find some good coins and relics with your machine. Just try and get permission on some good, older houses to detect. I bet if that machine pops up a nice Barber quarter you will love it :lol:

aloldstuff
03-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Welcome from western MA. Sounds like that coinmaster has been thru the ringer and it keeps on going, not bad. Looking forward to your future posts and hope you find a MD buddy out there on LI.

rick smithtown ny
03-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Hello Rick , welcome to the forum. we do have a few really good members from the Long Island area , glad you join up .

Dan
Thank you

rick smithtown ny
03-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Welcome from western MA. Sounds like that coinmaster has been thru the ringer and it keeps on going, not bad. Looking forward to your future posts and hope you find a MD buddy out there on LI.
Thank you and Will Do.

rick smithtown ny
03-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Welcome Rick and as you can see I'm from LI too. Been detecting less then a year and use a coinmaster gt with a garett pinpointer pro. Also ride have a 07 Goldwing. Do your research for places to hunt it does pay off. I find that you never know how an area will turn out on LI. I have found that the more you keep your coil to the soil the more surprising finds you will dig up. Good luck & HH.
Must be nice to have "REVERSE".

joedirt
03-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Hi Joe Dirt here I am very new to the hobby also I had some beginners luck about a year and a half ago found some civil war stuff I have been laid up for a while hope to get out son maybe we can dig some time.

rick smithtown ny
03-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Hi Joe Dirt here I am very new to the hobby also I had some beginners luck about a year and a half ago found some civil war stuff I have been laid up for a while hope to get out son maybe we can dig some time.
Absolutely! Write me and we'll talk.

Trapster
03-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Welcome from the hills of WV.

KCFindIt
03-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Welcome from Georgia. My name is Kasey, and I'm somewhat new at detecting, having started in November. But totally and helplessly hooked. I love this forum and it's members, who are absolutely worth signing on the PC daily, when I'm not out swinging and ringing!

Skamaniac
03-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Welcome from Washington state. Don't let the trash discourage you; everyone digs a lot of it. Doing homework on the history of a potential site can help narrow the search area to the better targets. In any case, have fun!

chief5709
03-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Welcome from an upstater (Saratoga area).

Timewarpdigger
03-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Must be nice to have "REVERSE".

It does help from time to time especially when the bike dresses out at over 900 lbs. It's the little things that make it all worth while. LOL

Boulder
04-02-2014, 05:24 AM
Hello Rick, and Welcome to the Forum from John in NJ... :coffeelaugh:

OxShoeDrew
04-05-2014, 06:42 AM
The amount of trash we dig has more to do with site location than machine. I find successful hunting takes as much time researching as it does actually digging. I hope you enjoy the forum and welcome!

tanacat
04-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Welcome from Kentucky! I use V3i and Coinmaster. You know the saying "Where there's trash, there's treasure"... :thumbsup02:

There are nifty tricks with the V3i to rule out some of the trash. At least bottle caps from the silver (but then you may miss out on a good relic). It's frustrating when trying to find the gold though. I haven't figured out how to distinguish foil and pull-tabs from the gold. I prefer old homesteads in the country where there are likely to be relics, so I pretty much dig it all (and pack it out). Big trash might be hiding some smaller goods in the same area.

tanacat
04-05-2014, 09:38 AM
everyone digs a lot of it. Doing homework on the history of a potential site can help narrow the search area to the better targets. In any case, have fun!

www.historicmapworks.com (http://www.historicmapworks.com) and www.historicaerials.com (http://www.historicaerials.com) are two good sites for overlaying maps :)

MangoAve
04-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Drew and ska are half right. You really need to learn how your machine reacts. But you can't know for sure every time as some large iron will ring up as coins. Location plays a part, too. The house I hit tues was from 1760. The fact the yard ended where there is a parking lot for a plaza with a liquor store is why there were so many empty cans and small bottle tops. The fact the house was a repo is the reason why all the other junk was there. Even the cellar hole I went to with an admin, del, had plenty of iron. I couldn't walk 3 ft without getting a quick false from iron. I even found a brand new nut. Probably fell off a bolt of something like a chain saw or other small equipment as they were cutting down trees. And the age of houses listed on an assessors site can be inaccurate. Two houses on my map from 1868 are neighbors. Obvi the houses existed on the lots before the map was drawn. One has the stone foundation which is much older than 1900, however assessors site has it listed built 1900. Maybe it was rebuilt in 1900 due to a fire. Research the property (if you can). The age of the property can tell you how old coins and relics can be found there. And as even said in my manual, junk like cans can ring up like coins. A washer or ring terminal sure rang up like a coin for me. Digging junk is almost unavoidable. Keep swinging the coil and don't get discouraged with finding junk. After digging almost 11 pieces of junk I stumble on one good find...

Tony Two-Cent
04-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Welcome from Illinois! :waving:

I think everyone digs a lot of trash. Metal detecting is a hobby that takes a lot of patience and persistence, you have to keep trying a lot of different sites until you find some that pay off.

Best of luck!

GreenHat
04-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Welcome from WV

Otis Campbell
04-12-2014, 08:38 AM
Welcome to this forum, everyone here is very nice & helpful. They will give you any help you need.