PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pluse Induction Detectors

Tom
04-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Was wondering if anyone would be willing to share what their favorite PI "water proof" detector is and why. I'm thinking about buying one and although I've only owned Whites detectors (VLF's) I'm not sure that would be the way to go for this type of machine? I'll be using it mostly at salt beaches wading around, not diving. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

del
04-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Tom if your beaches have lots of iron bits or trash a pulse machine can be a real headache to use there as they sound off on it all. A few guys have a couple of water machines , for example a whites pulse dual field for the low trash beaches and a minelab excaliber for the iron infested ones .

buck57
06-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Hey Tom. Just got the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II with the two set PI coils. We'll let you know in a few weeks. Can't wait to try it out.

giant056
06-12-2014, 02:02 AM
Al the guy who owns the best metal detecting shop in this area always told me that he and most people really prefer a VLF because of the zillions of nails that never seem to every rust away here in Michigan due to very little salt around here. I personally have always really been interested in them but never bought one because of that. Pulltab Steve made me a fantastic offer on a TDI a long time ago that was really tempting and I should have probably bought it cause if I was really displeased with it I'm sure that I could have gotten my money back out of it by selling. I saw a guy using one in a schoolyard one day and he was plucking coins out of the ground left and right, he said that he could tell by the sound whether it was a coin or not. Some day I'm at least going to try one out and hopefully it will be something like the TDI/SL.

Tom
06-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Hey Tom. Just got the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II with the two set PI coils. We'll let you know in a few weeks. Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks Buck! I still have not bought one but am leaning toward a Whites surfmaster PI dual field, maybe! Would like to hear how you make out. I'm sort off slowing down on detecting for a bit as I just started a new job and there is all kinds of certifications and trainings involved so I need to focus on that.

Giant056 I'll be doing mostly salt beaches that are pretty clean so the PI might be just the ticket???????

SeabeeRon
06-12-2014, 04:59 PM
As stated a PI unit may not be the best choice for your area. I have an older Whites Surf PI Pro that I like allot. Recently switched to a Sov GT, and am in love again!!:smitten:

buck57
06-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Hey Tom. Broke in the Sea Hunter yesterday and started off with the 8" coil then switched to the 10x14 coil. So far the only issue is I do not have the pin pointer option on this machine as the AT Pro did. It was easier homing in on a signal with the 8" coil, but over all, I think I'm going to like the PI coils on the salty beaches.

Tom
06-14-2014, 06:49 AM
That's good news Buck!
Were you able to find anything besides iron?

del
06-14-2014, 07:45 AM
I agree Buck pinpointing with a pulse is very challenging at first , small coils help with that and if theres a lot of trash around there too. good luck with that garret.

buck57
06-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanks Dan. 8" was a lot easier. In fact, I thought about seeing if I can return the 10x14 coil. I think Kellyco will give you 70% back on open returns. Just couldn't figure out where to dig once I got the signal.
Hey Tom, I only found $.12, a bunch of tent stakes and this necklace. Since the waves were kicking, I opted just to hunt the dry sand.

fsa46
06-15-2014, 05:06 AM
I have two DFPIs, two GTs and Excalibur and a MXT Pro for dirt. The DFPIs have easily paid for ALL my metal detecting equipment, (everything ). However, as stated, a pulse machine isn't for everywhere. Just like any mechanic you need different tools for different jobs.

If you're in/on an iron infested beach you'll need a discriminating machine but if your beach is fairly clean or has been hunted hard a DF may be your choice. Yes you'll dig a lot of junk but also dig a lot of gold and a lot of it will be deep gold that others have missed.

WaterWalker
06-26-2014, 05:37 PM
While detecting New England beaches (mainly CT, RI and MA) with the White's SurfMaster PI, Garrett Infinium and the new Garrett ATX for over 22 years...I have to say that each detector has its own personality and therefore I keep them all in top notch condition. The SurfMater is great on open wet sand because of its light weight when hip mounted. The Garrett Infinium with its 8" mono is my go to detector for winter rocky terrain and the new ATX is now my "in salt water detector" both summer and winter. Now that being said I love the Excalibur with the 15" WOT coil for fresh water and while looking for fresh drops in shallower salt water during the summer time because of the iron mask and the largest water coil I own. The ATPro is great for hunting with others so as not to cause interference with other detectors on dry sand and fresh water. And if I am looking for a lost item on land or dry sand my Tesoro Conquistador with an 18 inch coil comes out to play for items lost within the past couple of days. Florida is an Excalibur area whereas Hawaii has ATX only detector beaches. Guess I have to say no one detector does it all. Any detector can find something almost anywhere, some just do it better and with less strain on the detectorist.