PDA

View Full Version : Going back to ask permission?

MangoAve
04-05-2014, 06:18 PM
Today was a bust. The first place the house was uninhabited but owned by a guy down the street. He said he had like 6 people ask him to detect but always had to say no due to farm type insurance and liability. He said if there wasn't an issue he might allow but I had no liability waiver. The next place was a church that used to be a school built in 1839. The guy I saw happened to be like a grounds keeper. Said he was like one of 4 on a committee that owned the church. He went on about moles and re-seeding and how the next house was a rental and the guy caused an issue with propr lines as the guy said he was the one himself to use metal detector to find property markers. He said he could ask (but he said no himself being the one doing work on grounds) and was most likely a no. So.. I ended up at a place called the magazines, but all I ended up was finding 3 shotgun shells. George, I ended up digging 2 pieces of iron intentionally becAuse I was lacking funds.

So, would it be recommended to go back to first place with a liability waiver and try to ask again? That point he would be admitting any b.s. the first time if he says no. But would be a bother to him? It belonged to a family who was one of the first few settlers of the town, however not certain as it could have been a descendant that built the house. It happens to be built about 500 ft from a house that was built as a school in early 1700.

And second place... Who would I go back and ask if it's definitely yes or no?(and yes while stating I'll be careful with lawn and put it back nicely) this be a church so not a bother to ask again. Thanks for reading long winded post.

ChrisinCT
04-06-2014, 03:08 PM
What do you have to lose by asking again.
You could also sweeten the deal by suggesting that you will give him anything you find of value,but would like the option to buy any of the finds at a fair market value.

I get much more joy from the discovery than the keeping so it wouldn't bother me to turn over my finds if needed. I figure at least I get a good hunt out of it .

MangoAve
04-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Yeah. Either way they could still say a definite no a second time even after meeting their constraints and just move on. The first place I am eager cuz the age and most likely being untouched. No I'm not thinking Madonna's song. But 'abandoned' but private for some time with school house down the road and 200+ year old oaks maybe used for shaded areas for picnics.

However the second place I just wonder who will be the one to have end-all say. The assessor only lists owner as the church. No name of pastor. The only service is sundays 9a. And other time by appointment. There's a # I can call but best to try to be there Sunday 9a.