PDA

View Full Version : Who own's the land??

sjv
05-28-2010, 06:18 AM
I recently read an article in a magazine about a guy who was detecting the strip of grass beyond the sidewalk. Now, in some parts of the country you have the sidewalk then the road. In other parts you have the owner's land then the sidewalk, then some grass, then the street.Question is who owns that strip of grass past the sidewalk? The landowner or the town? I'm wondering if it varies between towns or states. Gonna call the town hall and ask them. If the grass is town property and the say it's ok to detect despite what the owner thinks then that opens alot of places to detect where their are good finds to be found,especially in older neighborhoods. Let me know what everyone's town rules are. My honest guess is that they might say to ask the land owner first. I've never seen this question posted , so I thought we should clear things up. :interesting:

Thanks, SJV

hobbes_lives
05-28-2010, 07:05 AM
The city or county usually owns the property from the street up to the sidewalk, including the sidewalk area. If you do decide to detect such areas, it would still be in good form to ask the adjacent property owner, especially if it's in front of someone's house. The property owner is typically the person who is required by ordinance to maintains that area, so you could really make someone mad by digging there, even though the property is not actually owned by them. I know I'd be mad if someone tried to do that in front of my house without asking permission. Around other areas that are not in front of a house, you'll need to use your best judgment. Just my 2¢.

coinnut
05-28-2010, 11:22 AM
I've seen this topic get covered before and it varies between different areas of the country. Around here Sal, it's mostly town property. So it's technically detectable....but the property owner is usually responsible for upkeep. They may not legally kick you off, but one call to the Police and the town would most likely kick you out too. Then all of them would be off limits. The best way is to ask. I would approach it by saying something like I know this is town property, but I wanted to know if you would mind me metal detecting in front of your house? Followed by (only if needed) you won't even see where I have been.And then explaining your passion for history, etc... But keep it short and don't go into too much detail unless you need to. If someone says NO, then just move on. If the strips are far from the house, then I would just do it until you get someone looking at you. I'd then say hi.

woodchuck
05-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Most places the town,county,or state own it and have a legal right of way of usually ten feet off the road etc.And as mentioned a lot of home owners etc maintain it.It is in good form to ask first it can be a touchy subject with some people. :poke:

magic
05-29-2010, 08:30 AM
Its best to ask. Here in Indiana it belongs to the city but the owner keeps it up. If you dont ask and they call the police, you cant get into trouble for detecting, but the police can charge you with being a common nuisance or disturbing the peace. If the land owner is really mean they could always say that you are looking in their windows... We all know we look around for people while detecting. Its just best all around to ask. I go to abandoned or for sale houses that no one lives in and detect the curbs....

wescowood
06-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I always ask before detecting in front of someones home. If they dont want me there then I say thank you for your time and go on about my business on down the block. It s just not worth the hassle.
HH, Wes