PDA

View Full Version : 1859 Fatty

OxShoeDrew
04-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Hiya Everyone,
How could I dig so much *@#% and not come out with a copper :shocked05::crying02: Just kidding, I appreciate all the stuff I dig.....well not the ammo, I really hate digging that.

I saw a grape vine that was a easily a foot thick.

Dug three memorials :shocked04:, but at least one was my birth year. I know some of us have to dig Indian heads to get our birth years (no names) :lol:

The fields thawed in time for planting :girlcry:

I'll leave you with a poem except...
Ghost House by Robert Frost (http://www.poets.org/poet.php/prmPID/192)
I dwell in a lonely house I know
That vanished many a summer ago,
And left no trace but the cellar walls,
And a cellar in which the daylight falls
And the purple-stemmed wild raspberries grow.

O'er ruined fences the grape-vines shield
The woods come back to the mowing field;
The orchard tree has grown one copse
Of new wood and old where the woodpecker chops;
The footpath down to the well is healed.
....check out the rest of this cool poem online!

del
04-06-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to sort through all that relic "goodness" :lol: nice finds Drew , don't see many "59 Indians :thumbsup02: what is that spoon so green with envy about ;) its got great patina:smitten:

Lodge Scent
04-06-2014, 02:25 PM
How could I dig so much *@#% and not come out with a copper :shocked05::crying02:

Well Drew, I would say the odds are slim but you managed to defy them :lol: That is a LOT of dug high VDI targets. Maybe no coppers but a lot of good finds none the less. With all that stuff out of they way, I think you definetly improved your odds for a copper next time at that spot.

Digger Don
04-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Thats a very nice bunch of relics. Congrats on the Indian.

The Rebel
04-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Very Nice Drew. 1st year for IH's. Got one myself. Was a great weekend to be out tecting.

giant056
04-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Great score on the fatty :thumbsup01:

HEAVYMETALNUT
04-06-2014, 07:27 PM
i agree with good high VDI targets there.just a matter of time till a copper pops.nice haul!

Timewarpdigger
04-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Congrats on all the great finds don't know where to begin. :thumbsup01: To me that is one great day of hunting and then some. Safe & HH

Bell-Two
04-07-2014, 08:52 AM
Nice finds, really like the relics and a first year Indian is always special!

KCFindIt
04-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Drew, I am impressed at all of the relics you dug up. I, myself, dig a lot of iron, by choice. But I favor digging up things that are identifiable, such as your pile of loot. Is that a bell clapper, that roundy thing with a neck, in the center of the pic on top of the gear thingy? I have one just like it, but mine is 10 lbs! (I posted about it a while back, thinking it was a cannonball)

RobW
04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
No mention of the buttons? A pile of keeps :thumbsup01:

OxShoeDrew
04-07-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks everyone...you know those boot guards we dig...someone told me they sometimes have an 1853 patent date stamped on them. I've yet to find one with a patent date on it. Anyone else ?

KC, that is a teardrop dresser pull...on top of a watch gear. The pull is much older than the gear. I think I'm going to go back to some of these sites and dig up all the iron like you. I think I'm missing some very cool relics.

Tony Two-Cent
04-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Considering that a fatty Indian Head is still on my bucket list, I think that's an awesome find! Especially an 1859 with no shield on the reverse.

You also found a nice pile of relics, including some that appear to be colonial era. I have only found one boot guard heel/toe tap (whatever you want to call them!) and it did not have a date on it. However, I saw one posted on another forum that did have a date on it.

Congrats on the finds! :clapping:

OxShoeDrew
04-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Thanks Tony, You seem to dig lots of indians. Surprised to hear you haven't dug a fatty. :huh:

coinnut
04-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Wow, look at all that stuff :shocked04: I don't remember ever seeing a spoon having that green patina on it. Glad you could see the date on your fattie Indian, although you didn't need one for the '59. Rarely do the hold up well in the ground around here. Nice bunch of relics.