PDA

View Full Version : My finds today.

MangoAve
04-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Today headed up to an old school house. The old roof was still there with some big metal grate showing thru. The rusty old school stool was there. I found some large iron there, looks like one might be a flapper/damper piece to an old stove but it has holes thru it. The larger piece was almost trapezoidal shape cast iron. Then I found 5 shells for a .22 and a round for a .30-'06 (F A 53) and a Peters 303 SAV. Ugh. Nothing worth. Then as I was walking out I got asked by one guy if I found anything good. The other guy talked for a while wondering how I knew there was a school up the road way back. Asked what I found and was shocked about casings and told me about him owning 20 acres on the opposite side of old road (which is closed off but both sides of it say no trespassing for a ways, then signs stop after rock walls. I was past the rock walls. I think he was trying to scare a bit for going there but it wasn't his area. The pic doesn't quite have scale to show how large, but the smaller iron damper is about 3 1/2 inches wide, 2 inches tall.

del
04-07-2014, 05:05 PM
thats the type of iron that is hard not to dig this time of year Jim , it just sounds so good sometimes. But its the nails about an inch long or shorter (unless they are hooked or have a large head) that your machine needs to discriminate out or you'll waste a lot of detecting time chasing those false targets.

Timewarpdigger
04-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Congrats on the finds. Safe & HH

MangoAve
04-07-2014, 09:29 PM
Dan, the bullet casings sound even better. The .22 are nice but the bigger ones sound better. Better than the big iron. I just know now how it reacts with nails. I waste time still hearing the false beep and checking it out, but I know now when not to dig. It sucks, but I'm sure all machines do this where if it's even close to big iron it will give a quick false. As in anything bigger than 4" iron or 1/2" thick bolts, or chain link fence, or a rusty stool, or big iron grate, or horse/ox shoe..ect..

giant056
04-08-2014, 07:10 AM
Good hunting :thumbsup01:

coinnut
04-08-2014, 08:48 PM
You will always get falsing, but the advantage the higher priced machine have is that more iron can be ruled out by how the numbers, tones or plotting is expressed. We all hear it, but there are tricks to help you guess that it is iron. You have to really study your target and see if your machine gives up any consistent clues that it is iron.