PDA

View Full Version : relic hunting is not all coins and ferrous targets

del
05-28-2010, 04:47 PM
heres a couple of pictures of some of the iron items i'm fond of finding as well as coins , almost all are hand made and would of taken alot of time to create first are various types of hand wrought iron axes , hatchets
and wedges and in the next pictures (from left to right) is an old colonial hoe , a small adz ,
a heavy duty mattox (for breaking up the hard ground), next is a small blacksmith hammer , the next is some kind of
cutting blade and on bottom is some type of spike that attaches to a pole or rod .

anyone else find and keep their iron finds , would love to see ya post'em here.

Dan

sniffy
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Just finding hard evidence of how people lived in the bygone days is just plain intriguing.

Epi-hunter
05-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Those are very cool finds Dan. I love the history and the mystique in what things might have been like for people back in that day... so that is why I am interested in more than just finding silver and gold. It's part of why I absolutely LOVE abandoned houses, especially those that still leave evidence of the last people who lived there. I love the feeling of finding something old such as what you have posted, that people used decades or even centuries ago and now I am holding it in my hand. It is a part of history that otherwise would have never been recovered.

del
05-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Those are very cool finds Dan. I love the history and the mystique in what things might have been like for people back in that day... so that is why I am interested in more than just finding silver and gold. It's part of why I absolutely LOVE abandoned houses, especially those that still leave evidence of the last people who lived there. I love the feeling of finding something old such as what you have posted, that people used decades or even centuries ago and now I am holding it in my hand. It is a part of history that otherwise would have never been recovered.

i couldn't agree more Angie :yes:, it is an amazing rush to be the first person to hold something that was lost more
than a few centuries ago and you can't help but feel somekind of connection to that individual and wonder what kind
of life they lived or hardships they must have endured. its a very interesting and cool time to just start detecting on a
new site not knowing anything about the people that may have lived there and after a few hunts you can piece
together an idea as to when they lived there . how many generations stayed at the homestead , maybe how well off
in life they were , were any of them serving in the military or in any of the wars .

Dan

tanacat
05-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Amen... I feel honored to find and hold something that was such a part of their livelihood, for survival -like iron farming tools. The labor and hardship people faced esp in the old days, it's humbling...

I love your topic, I have quite a few that I'll share. Once I get back from MDing lol

coinnut
05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Hey Del, how did you sneak all them axes past your wife? rofl You must have hid them well ;) Iron relics are just another branch of metal detecting that has a story to tell. Some of our relics are found sitting right on top of the rock walls from previous detectorists. They didn't want them. I never turn down a good hinge, axe head or fireplace tool or anything wrought iron. It took a strong person to forge some of them tools and they have survived the test of time, much better than the coins we find sometimes. Nice finds.